Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Milling in a red dot,,,

texasdawg

Decided to try milling in a red dot on a spare slide I had. So far its going good, but had a broken tap to deal with. Used carbide endmills to mill frame. Now have to shorten a FPB and get the gun running on my limpro frame that I am currently running with a Primary Machine plate and Vortex Venom 6moa. Kudos to Patriot Defense for showing that it could be done.

vortex1-1.jpg

35 minutes ago, drivenagain said:

great work man, is a Detlapoint wider?

I think so. But not sure

Mine hangs off the sides of my Q5 pretty far - although the Walther’s slide does taper inward toward the top - it’s really narrow.

Hard to see here, but...

IMG_7680.JPG.83021a732e5136699dc8508acb5a3788.JPG

IMG_7681.thumb.JPG.c44126afab4d44ae24ebe865b88b2121.JPG

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Not sure how much lower into the slide the red dot could go. I used the existing sight shelf in the rear as a stopping point. The limit is how much room and how long does the FPB need to be to work. That is my next step to find out. Without a FPB, you could go down to the top of the firing pin,,,

6 hours ago, texasdawg said:

I will weigh the slides when I get back home. My gun was just under the 45oz. limit before this work, so Im thinking around 44 even maybe,,,

I'd estimate you lost close to 1 1/2 oz. The aluminum dovetail mount is 0.7 and it looks like about that much slide was removed.  But you weighing it beats guessing!

Milling is for sure the only way to go with red dots.... its crazy how low you can get these in the slide. Sight picture is way easier to acclimate to if your an iron sight guy. 

We'll be offering this in the next few weeks.... just finalizing what all optics will work on the tanfo platform

Edited by PatriotDefense

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2017 at 8:22 AM, PatriotDefense said:

Milling is for sure the only way to go with red dots.... its crazy how low you can get these in the slide. Sight picture is way easier to acclimate to if your an iron sight guy. 

We'll be offering this in the next few weeks.... just finalizing what all optics will work on the tanfo platform

Hopefully REALLY soon.......really want to run my S2 at FLA Open in CO.........