Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Hawk

Bayougunner3449

Thinking about getting one of these... wanted a DVC 3 gun or a marauder but this checks a lot of boxes for much cheaper. 

Just wish it was a railed SDC or just a SDC. 

Currently shooting a Colt in SS, but wanted a 9mm limited gun for local steel matches and 3 gun. 

It'll be a great entry into the 2011 platform and will probably get you hooked. 

Its not going to be as refined or have a good of trigger as the DVC but it's a STI so it'll still have a great trigger none the less. 

Take the plunge and enjoy, they're going for as little at $1299 in GunBroker right now. You can't go wrong at that price. 

Is it just me, or does it look like Remington (formerly Para) is improving their quality with the newly released Tomasie 2011 model, and STI is lowering their quality with the STI Hawk?

I once owned a Para 16-40 and was not impressed.  I've owned two STI Edges for some years that I'm very impressed with.  But it looks like Remington is really stepping up their game with the Tomasie model and STI lowering theirs with the Hawk.  Just based on pics I've looked at, it looks like the Hawk went cheap in area's such as only a couple slide serrations, hammer, fixed rear sight, no magwell, no bull barrel, etc.  Kind of reminds me of the 2011 version of the  "Spartan."

i just bought one (Hawk 5.0) and an extra 140 mag, and it shoots everything from minimum loads to just a shade over maximum loads (4.6-5.3 CFE behind Zero 125 jhp) with no failures at any level, at least after the first mag.  I had two failures to go into battery, but that mag was loaded with shorter OAL 1.09” 4.6 (light) for my G43.  Everything else was 1.12” oal after that.  I have since put 500 rounds through it without issue.  I will also put an adjustable rear sight on it.  Sure, I wanted an Edge, but $1499 reeled me in.  I’m also happy that STI lowered the prices and improved out of the box reliability on their mags.  Both were factors in my decision.  I sold two 10-15 year old Kimbers to make it all happen.

Edited by AlecThigpen

On 12/20/2017 at 5:50 PM, JGus said:

Is it just me, or does it look like Remington (formerly Para) is improving their quality with the newly released Tomasie 2011 model, and STI is lowering their quality with the STI Hawk?

I once owned a Para 16-40 and was not impressed.  I've owned two STI Edges for some years that I'm very impressed with.  But it looks like Remington is really stepping up their game with the Tomasie model and STI lowering theirs with the Hawk.  Just based on pics I've looked at, it looks like the Hawk went cheap in area's such as only a couple slide serrations, hammer, fixed rear sight, no magwell, no bull barrel, etc.  Kind of reminds me of the 2011 version of the  "Spartan."

It’s you.

The Spartan was a Filipino gun...cast frame and maybe cast slide. The Para is nothing but a rebranded Para...not seeing the increase in quality there. Simplifying manufacturing doesn’t mean reduction in quality. 

On 1/2/2018 at 1:27 AM, GeneralChang said:

It’s you.

The Spartan was a Filipino gun...cast frame and maybe cast slide. The Para is nothing but a rebranded Para...not seeing the increase in quality there. Simplifying manufacturing doesn’t mean reduction in quality. 

I've had a chance to handle the new Tomasi 2011.  Without question it is an improvement over the old Para 16-40 I used to own just based on fit, features, and trigger.   The old 16-40 I had suffered from reliable feed issues (besides mediocre fit and a poor trigger). But, you get what you pay for.  There was a reason it was much less expensive than the Edge.  A few trips to the gunsmith slightly improved it, but didn't eliminate the feed problem.  IF the Tomasi model has fixed the feed issues, it will be a solid offering.   

Edited by JGus