Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I broke something because I am an idiot

So I installed the DAA powder funnel set up for lead bullets in my SDB for 9mm.  

I noticed that it is noticeably shorter than by stock dillon funnel/expander, I had to screw the housing all the way down to get it to properly flare. 

I also noticed that my powder measure itself was coming up sideways instead of straight up during the flaring part. 

Well after a couple hundred rounds Body collar assembly broke where the screw goes in part#20642, and I took the DAA funnel out and noticed that it now developed a burr around the top of the funnel where it was contacting the powder measure.

Compared DAA funnel to my stock Dillon funnel stock Dillon has no  burrs on top of the funnel DAA has the buts, which by the way were not there when I started using it.

Can some one tell me what I missed/screwed up?

2017-11-27_06-27-43

2017-11-27_06-38-382017-11-27_06-38-53

Edited by Petrov

Think those powder funnels are only meant for machines that can use a Mr Bullet feeder which the SDB does not.  i think the issue isn't with the shorter length but with the profile difference since the SDB powder measure mechanism is quite different than what the DAA die was designed for..

I've been using a MBF funnel in my SDB for .40 for thousands of rounds with no trouble at all.

Perhaps something is incorrectly adjusted as I have six thread of adjustment left where the OP has none.

In fact my SDB has the "fail safe" system and it runs quiet and perfectly smooth without all of the clacking and jumping that others seem to complain about.

I just took pics of the exact same broken part.  This part breaks when the screw that holds that roller assembly in backs out.  It can be a little out and you have no problem.  Then it gets too far out and it snaps just where yours did (mine too!).  Once this breaks the powder measure will throw a lite, or no, charge and will not properly flare the case mouth.  I've been reloading for a long time and I've had this happen twice.  The first time was around 15 years ago.  The solution, for me, will be that I just check that part to make sure the screw is still snug when I'm doing maintenance on the press.

20171127_082455_1511802730223.thumb.jpg.252b215b035ed3b73cf55ab2d7e2b8ad.jpg

1 hour ago, 9x45 said:

What's this DAA thing supposed to do better?

Some prefer it as it expands better but doesn't really bell unless you turn it way down. Holds bullets in place better while the platform spins I guess. Sticks less than Dillon funnel.

5 hours ago, 9x45 said:

What's this DAA thing supposed to do better?

On a 650 or 1050, the bullet is dropped and then the press indexes to the next station before it is seated. With the Dillon powder funnel which only bells the mouths? 80% of the bullets would fly off.

Fast forward to 3:45:

https://youtu.be/VNkxZ19wysU

Edited by MemphisMechanic

10 hours ago, Petrov said:

if i bell mouth enough to avoid shaving my coated lead bullets i wind up shaving brass in the seating die, daa funnel solves that problem

That should not happen with the Dillon funnel.  Either way I guess you already have the DAA funnel so it's sort of a moot point.