Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPX Killer?

Well, ordered the Guard 9 mm today.  I found the basic rifle for $1085 shipped at Four Winds Technology.  I don't know how long it will take to get here.  They said it was in stock, but were not firm on processing my order or shipping.

Also ordered a POF (my favorite) 4.5 lb. trigger and Glock 33's and Magpul 21's.  Will probably replace the stock, but keep the hand guard.  Supposed to be 6.2 lbs.  Full report as soon as it gets here.

Crap, I thought I was through with my PCC when I did well in Sunday's IDPA match. :angry:  

I ordered a bolt and barrel combo.  Talked to them today and they said the only modification to the upper  needed might be to open up the ejection port.  I will have to pop the ejector out of the lower.  The tech said to run a standard carbine buffer and spring.  Boy, I hope this is works!

9 hours ago, 4T2 said:

https://www.islercustomgunworks.com/custom-parts/

I got the first 6" off the assembly line and can say the fit and finish is amazing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The Isler is sweet, but I am interested in the carbine length version and $300+ for a handguard is just not working for me. A friend of mine knows the guys at Samson pretty well, he has been on them to make an SXS HG for the MPX. That would be the ticket!

16 hours ago, James3Gunna said:

Yea, not a fan. I want one that attaches as the original HG does. I know someone who runs this HG and he had issues with his gun ever since.

what issues? we've got 25 or so out there.......one known issue (accuracy) that's been taken care of. I would think that if someone spends that kind of money and has issues, they will be contacting us. Tell me more James

Edited by TRUBL
21 minutes ago, TRUBL said:

what issues? we've got 25 or so out there.......one known issue (accuracy) thats been taken care of. I would think that is some spends that kind of money and has issues, they will be contacting us. Tell me more

I am asking them specifically, as I received the information second hand.

It could be related to other changes or a culmination of everything, as they have the weight on their gun down around 5 lbs.

Either way, not an indictment on the product, in my opinion, as the MPX seems to be individually finicky when it comes to changes. I have removed my speculated statement.

Edited by James3Gunna

Every single person that I have seen have issues with the MPX except one, has been doing one of 2 things.
1.  Trying to run the wrong gen mag in the gun
or
2.  Running the loads too light

The MPX isn't an AR9.  I run my loads at 145 PF and can't tell a bit of difference from a 125 PF load.

The one gun I have seen actually break was a broken firing pin at A4

A fellow shooter in my squad yesterday gave me the opportunity to shoot a 16" MPX.  I in turn had him shoot mine.   

In the MPX we shot 115 gr WWB and in mine, 132 PF 147 gr reloads.  Recoil and muzzle movement are comparable.  The fact that his gun was shooting WWB with so little muzzle movement and recoil is amazing.  I will not shoot 115 gr WWB in my gun.  Way too harsh.

5 hours ago, bmiller said:

I just installed the guard bolt and barrel, this shoots SOFT!  Definite maybe on it being a mpx killer.  See the "Anyone shoot a guard thread" for my explanation.

Will the chamber allow longer loaded rounds?  Since the barrel has the nitride coating, that is somewhat relevant. 

And how hot was the ammo you shot?

Did you need to open up the ejection port? 

Thanks.

Edited by Flatland Shooter

I was using home cast and coated bullets loaded to 1.110".  They will chamber, but not reliably extract from my old psa barrel. I coated them very thick, no issues in the guard.  The power factor was 135 to 144.  I was just grabbing junk rounds I had on my desk.  So far, I am not seeing a need to open up the ejection port.  The upper is an old M4 with forward assist that I had in a parts bin. It still has the port cover on it.  At this point, I am impressed.  I have a feeling there will be popple holes and an aluminum sleeve in this uppers future!

Edited by bmiller
2 hours ago, Shadyscott999 said:

Every single person that I have seen have issues with the MPX except one, has been doing one of 2 things.
1.  Trying to run the wrong gen mag in the gun
or
2.  Running the loads too light

The MPX isn't an AR9.  I run my loads at 145 PF and can't tell a bit of difference from a 125 PF load.

The one gun I have seen actually break was a broken firing pin at A4

Hello: I would tend to think in the same way as you. I have found loads in the 137-145 range work best in the MPX. I have also noticed that the 115 grain bullets work better for me than the heavier bullets that I use in the AR9mm. As for using Gen 1 mags in a Gen 2 MPX it is something you will have to test and test more than once. My MPX will run both Gen mags with no problems. Thanks, Eric

When I titled this thread, I wasn't trying to offend anyone,  just stimulate conversation.  For the record, I have nothing against the MPX.  I do think most jams with them are ammo (probably more specifically handload) related.  I am not saying the CMMG is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but the very limited time I spent playing with one, I think the concept is very interesting.  

Edited by bmiller

Brian , I can't see that you offended a MPX shooter.  I think there is a lot of options out there and that makes the game fun.  Keep up the good work.  At least you don't take a different design and change something and call it your design.  Everything that is made can be made better in some way, just think outside of the box and be willing to try. The bad part is spending the funds to try it.  You and Eric are top notch and sure are not afraid to test the waters with new idea's. Keep up the great work guys.  PCC is so much fun.