Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dead trigger

MikeBurgess

I had a bunch of wierd malfunctions this weekend and don't see an obvious cause and thought someone here has probably seen it before.

On all but one stage the trigger was dead on the first shot. Grip safety was depressed, slide was fully in battery, I spent some time making sure of those as the stages went by to make sure that was not the issue. Raking the slide would get the gun to function. The second issue was having a dead trigger after a reload on several occasions.

The gun is a Baer HC 40 (caspian frame) with about a thousand rounds on it, well lubed and cleaned

Dry firing at the safe table it works 100%

Looking at the disconnector it is we polished and moves smoothly

Any ideas?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Over travel vote here as well. On the bench it works perfectly but in real life you probably need another 1/4 turn + to make it reliable when things are all in motion.

it will feel like more than necessary on the bench but it’ll be unnoticeable when you’re shooting.

you may also need some some additional disconnect/return pressure on the middle leg of the sear spring to make sure things aren’t free to play around while shooting.  

Another thing to check....   I've had similar malfunctions from not depressing the grip safety FULLY on my draw grip. Only after regripping and shooting a round or two would I get it running. After reloads too. I could not figure out what was wrong, I KNEW I was depressing the safety.... but on a "match" draw running fast I was gripping the gun slightly higher than practice and the bottom of the grip safety was no being fully depressed... even though I was gripping the gun hard. I took tape and wrapped the grip safety depressed around the frame, to test and tried it - it ran fine. Ended up adjusting the spring tension of the sear spring and filing the corner of the grip safety nose tip to need very little pressure. Another option is a grip safety with bigger "bump" on bottom...  or deactivate. 

Thanks everyone,

After thinking about it all night ,when I should have been sleeping, Like most have said above, I bet its the over travel screw and some movement in the mag catch when I insert a fresh mag. Unfortunately with it being dark all the time now I wont be able to test till this weekend.

2 hours ago, sfinney said:

Another thing to check....   I've had similar malfunctions from not depressing the grip safety FULLY on my draw grip. Only after regripping and shooting a round or two would I get it running. After reloads too. I could not figure out what was wrong, I KNEW I was depressing the safety.... but on a "match" draw running fast I was gripping the gun slightly higher than practice and the bottom of the grip safety was no being fully depressed... even though I was gripping the gun hard. I took tape and wrapped the grip safety depressed around the frame, to test and tried it - it ran fine. Ended up adjusting the spring tension of the sear spring and filing the corner of the grip safety nose tip to need very little pressure. Another option is a grip safety with bigger "bump" on bottom...  or deactivate. 

Even though it was a match I ended up taking quite a bit of time to re-grip and ensure the grip safety was not the issue, after a few stages I was more interested in knowing why it was not working than what my score was going to be

1 hour ago, Powder Finger said:

since it was a match you may not notice but it sounds like possibly the mag touching the disco and dropping to half cock.

Like above I stopped and looked at it and the hammer was not dropping at all, but thank you 

7 hours ago, sfinney said:

Another thing to check....   I've had similar malfunctions from not depressing the grip safety FULLY on my draw grip. Only after regripping and shooting a round or two would I get it running. After reloads too. I could not figure out what was wrong, I KNEW I was depressing the safety.... but on a "match" draw running fast I was gripping the gun slightly higher than practice and the bottom of the grip safety was no being fully depressed... even though I was gripping the gun hard. 

This is a problem I am struggling with as I move from a single-stack gun to my first 2011.   Sometimes I get a less-than perfect draw/grip and don't depress the grip safety fully.  

Just now, BangSwitch said:

This is a problem I am struggling with as I move from a single-stack gun to my first 2011.   Sometimes I get a less-than perfect draw/grip and don't depress the grip safety fully.  

Disable it

Just now, Sarge said:

Disable it

I could, but quite frankly I'm just not comfortable disabling it.  

I had my single stack gun fall out of a bladetech holster when one of the screws backed out.  Felt like a total retard.

During my first week with my shiny new 2011 and brand new race holster, I dumped my gun on the garage floor because I forgot to flip the retention switch.  :wacko:
So lets just say, I'm probably not the best candidate for disabling a grip safety. 

I need to practice more and suck less until my grip is consistent

13 minutes ago, BangSwitch said:

I had my single stack gun fall out of a bladetech holster when one of the screws backed out.  Felt like a total retard.

During my first week with my shiny new 2011 and brand new race holster, I dumped my gun on the garage floor because I forgot to flip the retention switch.  :wacko:
So lets just say, I'm probably not the best candidate for disabling a grip safety. 

The grip safety can be adjusted so it takes less movement to disengage it, but yet it will still function as a grip safety.  

54 minutes ago, BangSwitch said:

Yep, I agree!?