Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Or Xd; .45 Gap Or .40 S&w

JP.308

I'm starting to get into handguns a lot more and am looking at going into Law Enforcement/Security within the next few years. Currently I own a Springfield Armory 4" XD40 and really like it. I have never shot a Glock before and I'm wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions on which one they feel is a better gun and why. (I'm sure there are a lot of you out there on both sides with good reasons.) :) Also, what would be a better caliber for personal defense and law enforcement -- a .40 S&W or a .45 GAP -- and why. One more -- I'm not concerned about the recoil, but was just wondering what the difference migh be between .45 GAP or .40XD. Does anybody out there have a 5" XD -- how do you like the balance?

Thanks!!!

The grass is not greener.  Pass on the new gun and buy a reloader from Brian.  What you need is about 1000+ rounds a month to shoot with your current heater.

+1 Million. We all like new equiptment but that is not the way to shoot better. And stick with .40, who knows what will really come of 45GAP

The XD grip angle fits me better, I have had both Glocks and XD's.

Like Flex said though if I had only one of the two and I liked it I would learn to shoot it.

40 S&W works and has a good track record (in both defense and competition), it is also much easier and cheaper to get brass for.

Yep,

Stay off the GAP unless you are a true early adopter (Marketing term for geek with cash).

Stay with the 40 and buy & shoot lots of pills.

Leave the GAP stuff to those idiots like me who work with out a net on this stuff, or who have already invested so much that the marginal investment in the GAP would be small :o:blink::rolleyes::wacko:

Buy ammo is a great theme. I will spend twice the cost of the gun on ammo for this season easily. You don't need a new gun, what you have will win anything that you can win. I would recomend Matt Burkett's DVDs and Brian Enos' book. So if you want something to spend money on there you go.

Rick

I bought my son an XD40 and there has been no problems at all with that gun. I'm going to buy one for myself sometime.

The .40 is a very common caliber and is very cheap to reload for. If you plan on shooting much than that might be something you want to consider.

Springfield is making guns in .45 GAP now in both their XD and 1911 lines. I seen Springfield's compact model in a gun magazine around somewhere.They are using the GAP to be able to make a smaller grip on the gun. Who knows, maybe that cartridge will take off soon.

I am lincensed security guard too and if its only for defense, even the love of my life is 5" XD, would go for Glock. Don't you think there's a scenario you can not activate handle safety? Like need to shoot in really sloppy grip?

But for competition, geez, talk about Canyon Creek trigger on XD!

Does anybody out there have a 5" XD -- how do you like the balance?

Thanks!!!

I shoot a XD 40 Tact (5"), it's a nice platform and is pretty well balanced IMO. I've been shooting it all year in Production and L10.

But for competition,  geez, talk about Canyon Creek trigger on XD!

Rich at CC worked on my XD and I can't say enough good things. If you're using an XD for competition get it to Rich ASAP at least for a trigger job.

Thanks to all for all the GREAT info and thoughts!

It looks like I should go out and buy some more ammo and save up for a good trigger job.

J2fast, I emailed Springfield's Custom Shop and Debbie Else replied with pricing for a custom trigger job. (It included reducing trigger pull, overtravel, pretravel, and reset). I just tried to pull up the email to find the price, but I realized I don't have access to it currently. I'll try to find it and post it Monday. Anyway, what I was going to ask is how much did Rich charge and what all did he do to the trigger(trigger weight etc.)?

Thanks to all again!

I was carying my XD at Rio Salado Tuesday Night Steel 2 weeks ago and this big man pointed out my gun and asked "who worked on your XD?" to that I said "Rich of Canyon Creek" and he said "Isn't it amazing?"

It turned out it was Robbie, TGO. He is sponsored by Springfield, you know?

Canyon Creek's webpage is:

http://www.canyon-creek.com/xd.htm

trigger job is $135 I just can not believe he charges only this much! He can make it from #2 to #4 for competition but he knows alot about it and he can give you advice for sure.

Thanks to all for all the GREAT info and thoughts!

It looks like I should go out and buy some more ammo and save up for a good trigger job. 

J2fast, I emailed Springfield's Custom Shop and Debbie Else replied with pricing for a custom trigger job.  (It included reducing trigger pull, overtravel, pretravel, and reset).  I just tried to pull up the email to find the price, but I realized I don't have access to it currently.  I'll try to find it and post it Monday.  Anyway, what I was going to ask is how much did Rich charge and what all did he do to the trigger(trigger weight etc.)? 

Thanks to all again!

Rikarin summed it up pretty well, real cool that TGO made those comments. I'm even more jealous I didn't make it to Rio when I was in Tempe... B)

I've never had any work done by the SA Custom shop but I've heard good things. That said, after having Rich work on my gun it'll never see another smith if I can help it. Most everyone I know that's sent their XD to Rich for trigger work has gotten it back in less than a week after sending it. I had Rich work his magic on my trigger, install/melt in Bo-mar adj sights, and refinished the blaster (all back in my hands in 7 days). I couldn't be happier with the results; the trigger is butter smooth with almost no overtravel and very little reset. The trigger is just short, quick and smooth now. :D

Pics here:

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=22718

If you've never been on http://www.hs2000talk.com check it out also. It's mainly just an XD specific forum. Do a search on Canyon Creek there (or here) and you'll find an almost endless stream of satisfied CC cutomers. Rich is definitely one of the best XD smiths and a great person to deal with to boot.

I found the email from Deb at Sprinfield Armory.

Here's how it reads:

Cost to reduce the pounds of trigger pull, as well as pretravel, ovetravel, and reset, would be $175. Cost to have Trijicon night sights installed would be $95. (Cost to install a customer's existing sights is $65.) Return shipping and handeling when the work is complete would be an additional charge of $25.

customshop@springfield-armory.com

• 3 months later...

I had both a Glock AND an XD. I had trouble switching back and forth between platforms. I could adjust, but it took a little time. If I would practice with the XD over prolonged periods, I would heel and shoot high with the Glock. I ended up shooting the XD more and the Glock got shot less, until I sold it. I'm not saying XD is > than Glock, its just what I prefered. Many people have alot of guns and have NO trouble switching back and forth, so YMMV.

I just so happen I shoot a guys xd 4" gun with ported barrel today. Was a real flat shooting gun and was pretty impressed. the guy said he had some feeding problems and that it was ammo finicky, the slide would not put the gun in full battery. I am a die hard glockster. The xd is not a bad gun, but then again it is a copy of glock in many ways. Me personally I would go with the glock, more rounds, proven reliable weapon. Like I say the glock will eat dirt and shoot rocks. The best thing to do is try them both and see which on works for you, but dont go cheap when it comes to your equipment especially if its for your life and the life of others. the cute guns that I have stay in the safe, the glocks are my battle guns. As far as the GAP, good place to buy clothes, that it.

PK

Had two Glocks sold one, now I have three XDs and picking up #4 this afternoon.

I have a XD40 Tactical for Production that Canyon Creek fixed up, a XD40 Service with Dawson night sights for carry, a XD40 Sub-Compact for just in case, and picking up another XD40 Service model just because it was cheep ($380).

PaperKiller, tell your bud to put a new recoil spring in. It is worn enough that it wont snap the slide back into battery. If he reduced the spring from factory weight then he probably needs a 1 or 2 lb heavier spring. Unless it is bad ammo it probably isnt a feeding problem, but finding the right spring. Good luck, DougC