Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eye irritation after reloading

SlvrDragon50

I'm starting to notice that every time I reload, my eye is getting irritated afterwards. I'm washing my hands with D-Lead after I reload, and I don't rub my eyes so I am suspecting that there might be some powder or something getting into the air? The bullet feeder is pretty close to my head so maybe particulates from that?

Looking for suggestions on how to mitigate the irritation if anyone else has had this problem. I think I will get some basic safety glasses to wear while reloading too.

+1 wear eye protection while reloading, even if you don't get eye irritation. While the odds of primers/powder going off is slim, better safe than sorry. If normal eye protection doesn't help, try some goggles. It'll leave your face with some interesting marks, but probably worth it if you don't get the irritation.

On a side note, hows the lighting on/around your press? Maybe the irritation is strain due to low light? I have a 4' fluorescent light directly above the bench, and additional light right on the press. I do still get fatigued from reloading, but for me I think its just due to trying to pay attention on so many levels to ensure consistent safe ammo. This is generally after a thousand or two rounds loaded in a single session.

Nope, it's not strain. Only one eye is being affected, and the pain is a pressure behind the eye rather than a muscle strain. I've got lights for the press and will be installing a KMS2 UFO light tomorrow. Then I will set up a camera system and hopefully that will allow me to look elsewhere and keep my eyes further away from the press.

5 minutes ago, SlvrDragon50 said:

Nope, it's not strain. Only one eye is being affected, and the pain is a pressure behind the eye rather than a muscle strain. I've got lights for the press and will be installing a KMS2 UFO light tomorrow. Then I will set up a camera system and hopefully that will allow me to look elsewhere and keep my eyes further away from the press.

I think you need to see an eye doctor. Don't rely on an internet forum for medical advice. Pain is a reason for concern, don't ignore it.

11 minutes ago, Bkreutz said:

I think you need to see an eye doctor. Don't rely on an internet forum for medical advice. Pain is a reason for concern, don't ignore it.

Yes, I know. I am a medical student. However, I know it is tied to reloading so I am wondering if there is anything on the reloading side to manage it. I am not asking for a medical diagnosis.

Edited by SlvrDragon50

I used to cast bullets for the .45 (mostly) and we always set up a cheap box fan on a bench/table on the other side of the hot plate/pan the lead was melting in.  It didn't blow air across the table the casting stuff was set up on, it sucked air from behind us, across the table and away from us and blew it out the window/away from us.  Never had an issue with fumes with that fan set up like that.

You didn't mention what sort of bullets you are using, that might give you an idea of what is bothering your eye. 

It's a little strange that you only have the problem in one eye, not both.  Possibly could be eye strain in the affected eye.  Have you had a check up with an optometrist to rule that out ???

I don't dry tumble. I use an ultrasonic cleaner for the reason previously mentioned. I'm using coated ACME lead bullets, and I see that there is red coating being left on the bullet collator which is why I am suspecting something is getting into the air. I don't think it's eye strain because I've had it happen in both eyes before (though only one eye at a time ever, never both). I only load ~50-100 at a time over 20 minutes as well.

My brass is cleaned with vinegar, water, detergent, and rinsed with water then dried. It is sprayed with case lube before being dropped into the feeder.

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, SlvrDragon50 said:

I suspect something is getting into the air. - only one eye at a time ever, never both).

If only one eye, at a time, is affected, that would Have to Let Out airborne ....

That leaves ONLY contact -