Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CO help

JPetrowski

Hopefully I posted this in the correct location. I have been away from shooting sports for a while now. I have kept up with this forum when I was away. It excited me to see the carry optics division. Always wanted to shoot open but didn’t want to sink that kind of money. A few months ago I came across a crazy good deal on a P320 X5. Now, I need some help dressing it out. 

I keep reading about different optics and I remain confused. I have looked online at DPP, Vortex Venom, FF3 and Romeo1. Also saw a few others. What is the way to go? Which has the biggest glass?

Last but not least. I have no clue on what dot size to pick. I would assume it’s a compromise between accuracy and speed. I just don’t want to buy something and figure out that I should have spent my money on something else. Thanks

DPP has probably the best reputation at the moment, the Romeo1 has not been widely available for very long, so there’s not much info on reliability/issues on that scope yet.

I use the 2.5 moa, some people prefer the larger dot/triangle. If you shop around you can find the DPP for around $350.

I shoot carry optics with a CZ P09 with the slide milled for a DDP. I started shooting CO is April of this year. I have just over 9,000 rounds through the pistol with no issues with the DPP. I shoot on average this year 3 local matches a month sprinkled with some major matches. I also try to dry fire once a week as well. BTW, I am using the 7.5" triangle and love it. It easy for me to pick up and see in all lighting conditions I have shot in so far. 

I have several Burris FF3s, C-More RTS2v4s and Deltapoint Pros on my pistols.  The Burris are all 8 MOA, the C-Moresare all 6MOA and the DPP is 2.5.  The Burris will run for years on one battery, but the dot is not bright enough to be picked up easily on white steel in bright sunlight.  The RTS2s are bright enough, if you have a fresh battery installed, but eat batteries for lunch.  At best, I can get two matches out of one battery.  I don't bother, because the dot is dim by the second match.  I just put a fresh one in before each match.  The DPP 2.5 is blazingly bright and the batteries last seemingly forever.  FWIW, I just bought two more DPP 2.5MOAs.

I currently am using an M&P CORE with a Vortex Viper 6 MOA dot.  I have a 6 MOA Venom on its way for my newly built PCC.  The Viper is quite bright, even in full sunshine, and I have found that when I turn it down to the lowest visible setting, the dot appears a lot smaller, and is more precise for longer shots.  There are of course as many opinions as dot sizes (well, more) but seems like a pretty good majority in the competition arena that 6 to 8 MOA is the way to go. I am sure Burris FF3, DPP, CMORE, etc. all good - but will a new Romeo fit the slide best?

I think warranty is probably the most important thing to consider, because these devices do take a beating. Vortex and Burris are hard to beat in that area - and their price is darn good.

Generally speaking, most people will go larger for steel.  Some as high as 12 moa.  Some like this for USPSA as well.  If the gun is going to do both, probably somewhere in the middle.  Personally, I shoot a 2 moa on my PCC, but its an Aimpoint and turns up bright enough, so it works well.  I have a 3 moa on my rimfire rifle and recent rimfire pistol addition, which are both purpose built for steel and would say the dots could benefit from being larger.  I hear nothing but good things about the DPP and have shot a couple other guys' guns with em, very nice.

2 hours ago, tyman1876 said:

I have 2 of the 2.5's and the dot appears larger than you'd expect, especially when the brightness is turned up.

ditto.  At bright levels it appears closer to 5 or 6 MOA.  You will have zero problems picking the dot up, no matter what the background.  That being said, my ideal reflex sight would be a DPP 2.5 with glass the size of the RTS2.

Edited by zzt

Have a friend over here in Australia shooting a 320 RX ( just this year)and has had 2 romeo-1's break down already. It seems the screws that hold the glass into the shield work themselves loose then of course the screen cops a beating and his has fractured the screen around the top edges. So far the importer has been pretty good, but time will tell if they keep breaking how good the importers service will be, he dis say the one that has been replaced this time has a slightly different profile on the hood.

He actually has 3 now he tells me so he can have 1 spare 1 on the gun and 1 getting repaired ;).

Does anyone know if the RX will accept a plate or another sight?  

I received the Springer precision mounting plate and some other goodies today. I also received my DPP. Didn’t come with a battery and the bottom of it almost looks like it was mounted before... Called Leupold about it and they said maybe it’s used.  I see a date code on the box that appears to be August of this year. I guess I’m going to send it back. 

Two questions. Is the dot super crisp or does it bloom? This one blooms compared to so other red dots that I have. 

is the plate cut the same for both RX and X5 slides?

Not sure if the plate is the same but since both of the optics bolt directly to the slide they probably are. The only difference might be the X5 has a tab on the front of the plate that fits into the slide.