Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911's

Qstick

I am thinking about getting a 1911 to have something to learn a bit more about how everything fits together etc....

Are all new 1911's series 80 or have some firing pin lock in them, or are there any available that would be similair to "race" guns?

Thanks,

Zach <---1911 moron

No, springers don't have that crap in them. Neither do STI's. Kahr, Kimber series 1's (and warriors) and other milspec style guns all don't have the "mush maker" series 80 parts.

Colt and Para are about the only ones with that. Although I heard a rumor (on here?) about getting some S_I's cut to work with series 80 parts. Why, I cannot begin to imagine. :wacko:

Zach,

That's actually a fairly complicated question because of all the variants.

Colt makes the series 80. Steer clear of those if you can.

Springfield, STI, SVI, Rock Island, Rock River, and Caspian (just off the top of my head) are all based on the series 70, with no firing pin block. I've done my fair share of rainbow-chasing on this, and I would buy only a true, series 70, with the *internal* extractor. You will have the best parts interchangability with one of those. I don't think you could go wrong with a Springfield Mil-Spec.

Smith and Wesson's 1911 has a firing pin block, but it is activated by the grip safety so it has none of the disadvantages of the Colt Series 80's. It has the external extractor, which I thought would be great, but has turned out to be a mediocre solution at best.

No clue about Kimber.

Under 5 minutes - you guys are good :D:D:D

Eric -

I was actually thinking about either the mil-spec or the bottom end of the loaded line....having the sight cuts is some what appealing to me.

Thanks again for the rapid reply

Yeah, if you're looking for a "base gun" the SA MILSPEC (NOT the WWII) is probably the best one out there. I think on the new ones they even recontoured the front strap. I don't like the ugly 1991A1 style serrations on the WWII. The Original Milspec has the slanted.

I bought one a few years back and sent it to a GS. It had the most perfect lines and everything was just crisp. Now it's the nicest single stack I HAVE EVER SEEN, including guns from the "Cartel".

Heinie Slant-Pro, Barsto, Brown, S&A, lots of nice metal work, Birdsong's black-T over everything. SEXY!!!! WAY nicer than the Vickers cover gun in Handgunner.

PaulW has seen it, and drooled. In fact I think he tried to hide it in the microwave when I went the bathroom.

I'll post pics whenI can.

SA MilSpec. That's your starting point. ;)

eric s.,

that drooling problem paul w has isn't from seeing that gun, he's had that problem since he took the short bus to school and used to wear that hockey helmet so he wouldn't bump his head while licking the bus windows. :wacko:

yeah, but he got it on my gun. <_<

yick. but I guess that's what protective coatings are for.

Letting him fondle it was the only way he'd quit banging the pots together and yelling "Oklahoma, Oklahoma, Oklahoma!!!!" :wacko:

post-690-1120676732_thumb.jpg

Edited by Flexmoney

Zach,

I think the Kimber Series II have a block but it is deactivated by the grip safety instead of the trigger. The 80 thing can be eliminated by removing the 2 little levers and puting in a spacer in their place. I did that in a couple of Para frames. I did some tests and the 80 thing seems to add about 8 oz to the trigger pull if I remember correctly. There are some lighter replacement parts that you can get if you want.

Good luck,

Chuck

As ChuckS said Kimber II's have a firing pin block that is controlled by the grip safety, basicly same as Smith and Wesson although I believe Kimbers had it first. Called a Swartz (sp?) safety, basic design by a Colt engineer prior to WWII.

Colt, ParaOrd, and SIG 1911's have series 80 parts. (There may be others using these, if so I am not familiar with them.)

Use to wear? I still wear it when I get clumbsy.......jackasses!!!

Actually I needed to use Eric limited gun so I could work on his open gun. A little JB weld and an old 1911 and you can get any job done! And after Eric finished lapping in his slide/frame he did not talk nearly as much, I guess his tongue was sore. :P

My Kimber Series II has a firing pin block which is deactivated by the grip safety. The thing which I find slightly odd is the spring and block is held in place by the rear sight (there is a hole in the slide in the middle of the dovetail), so when I put on a sight rail I had to leave part of the rear sight base in the dovetail and machine the rail for clearance, in order to hold the block and spring in place. But, it allows a Series 70 extractor and trigger parts so no Series 80 mush.