Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DP front sight

V2plus25

How do you guys secure your DP fs to the slide?  Just wondering since I've now got 2 of them all buggered up with the little screw stripped out stuck in the front sight.

Do you red or blue loctite the screw and do you also put any on the bottom of the sight between it and the slide?  Why do I ask?  Because apparently blue loctite on just the screw results in a loose front sight after a few hundred rounds and I'm tired of cutting the fiber over and over in order to get to the screw to re-secure it in there.

Well technically I don't know if the screws are stripped out or if I've stripped out both ends of those little allen wrenches.  But in any case the screw is stuck in the sight and isn't coming out.  Betcha Dawson is loving me these days having to reorder sights. :)

I took a little piece of metal from used primers, cut and flattened it out into a circle that would fit into hole under the front sight so the tiny screw would have something to dig and hold onto better. Otherwise, the screw was going through my slide getting close to the barrel. I use red loctite for under the sight and a little on tip of screw. Before all this, the front sight would wiggle forward and backward after a couple sessions.

Blue loctite is a failure waiting to happen on any front sight. Heat and vibration loosen loctite. Think about that.

Use red in the dovetail. And red on the screw.

If your sight isn’t a very tight press fit, peen the lower corners of it’s dovetail before driving it in. Take a small punch and raise a couple of spots on the corners by striking them with a punch.

If the sight doesn’t need driven in with moderate force from a hammer and punch, the setscrew is going to have trouble holding it.

2 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Blue loctite is a failure waiting to happen on any front sight. Heat and vibration loosen loctite. Think about that.

If your sight isn’t a very tight press fit, peen the lower corners of it’s dovetail before driving it in. Take a small punch and raise a couple of spots on the corners by striking them with a punch.

If the sight doesn’t need driven in with moderate force from a hammer and punch, the setscrew is going to have trouble holding it.

MM nailed it on this one......

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It goes in with just a moderate push of the finger, so it sounds like I need to peen the corners a bit and then use red loctite.  Thanks!

On my recent Stock3 I had to hammer the front sight out and hammer the DP sight in.  If your having those problems, you might need to break out the green loctite #620 bearing mount compound to use in the dovetail before inserting the sight.  I would say that the #620 Green stuff is nastier than the red stuff.

On a side note, those tiny screws on the DP sight should be larger.

Based on my experience, if your Tanfo has a wider dovetail (thanks to Tanfo's manufacturing tolerance) and you did not have to force the front sight in, then it does not matter what loctite you use, or what metal you stuff the set screw hole with, it will become loose and wiggle back and forth eventually.  

On one of my Tanfos, I put soda can sheets in the set screw hole, used red loctite on the set screw, then finally used JB cold weld on the surface between the dovetail and front sight.  Still, it started sliding back and forth after about 9000 rounds, although it is not going to completely slide off that I can tell.

I sent in my other Tanfo to Dawson and paid them $30 to install the sight for me.  That one seems to be holding up really well so far.  They have the warranty on installation BTW so I will just send it back if it starts to wiggle.  I don't know what Dawson uses but I assume they just pick a wider front sight for the wider dovetail. 

As MemphisMechanic mentioned, I think the best approach is to work on the metal/metal contact surface to create friction/blockage.  Loctite, JB cold weld etc are only bonus on top.  They by themselves will not hold if you have a wide dovetail.

2 hours ago, Sc0 said:

I would say that the #620 Green stuff is nastier than the red stuff.

It definitely is.

A more detailed username for myself could be MemphisHeavyEquipmentMechanic.

You know these rigs your local utility company uses?

global-conversion-article.jpg

There’s a huge bearing on top of the pedestal, where the work platform and the booms rotate. When bolts or components coming loose will result in someone plummeting to their death, care to guess which color threadlocker we use? ;) 

(And same goes for our over-the-road cranes, with MUCH larger rotation bearings.)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, JusticeOfToren said:

Based on my experience, if your Tanfo has a wider dovetail (thanks to Tanfo's manufacturing tolerance) and you did not have to force the front sight in, then it does not matter what loctite you use, or what metal you stuff the set screw hole with, it will become loose and wiggle back and forth eventually.  

On one of my Tanfos, I put soda can sheets in the set screw hole, used red loctite on the set screw, then finally used JB cold weld on the surface between the dovetail and front sight.  Still, it started sliding back and forth after about 9000 rounds, although it is not going to completely slide off that I can tell.

I sent in my other Tanfo to Dawson and paid them $30 to install the sight for me.  That one seems to be holding up really well so far.  They have the warranty on installation BTW so I will just send it back if it starts to wiggle.  I don't know what Dawson uses but I assume they just pick a wider front sight for the wider dovetail. 

As MemphisMechanic mentioned, I think the best approach is to work on the metal/metal contact surface to create friction/blockage.  Loctite, JB cold weld etc are only bonus on top.  They by themselves will not hold if you have a wide dovetail.

Great idea actually.  Didn't know I could get them to put the front sight on for me.

On mine, I put a small ball of epoxy putty into the detent the original screw used.

I used red loctite on the threads, and green loctite on the dovetail.

Still holding after a few thousand rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know this is about the Dawson sights, but I want to mention that you can get a Henning or Extreme sight and those will fit and have enough material that you will get a very tight fit.

I had Dawson sights that were loose. I got rid of them. Too much hassle, and I like the Henning sight picture better.

6 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I know this is about the Dawson sights, but I want to mention that you can get a Henning or Extreme sight and those will fit and have enough material that you will get a very tight fit.

I had Dawson sights that were loose. I got rid of them. Too much hassle, and I like the Henning sight picture better.

I do like the design of the Hennings where you don't have to cut the fiber in order to access the screw, but have honestly been lazy and didn't want to re-adjust the rear to a different height front sight.  If I screw up this Dawson install then I'll try a Henning or Extreme. 

I have the Henning sight, and it is indeed oversized.  What I don't like about Henning sight is the set screw does not go into the set screw hole on the frame.  It was designed that way. You basically just tighten the set screw and rely on friction, or I was told I could drill/punch a dent on the frame if I don't trust friction.  I ended up not using the Henning sight.