Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chamber Flags - Required Equipment

From the rulebook I didn't bother to search before I beat the hornet's nest with a stick:

5.2.1.5 Competitors must use a chamber safety flag, or device, that

is clearly visible externally to the gun, at all times when the

rifle is not in use (except whilst carrying out the activities

permitted under Rule 2.4.1).

Doesn't matter whether anyone likes it or not or thinks it's necessary or not. Gotta use them for sanctioned matches...at all times (unless you're talented enough to keep the muzzle vertical 100% of the time). Please don't debate the merits here, that's another thread for someone to start (and a moot point since it's a done deal anyway).

They cost $1.25 ea from Boonie Packer: www.redi-mag.com

The problem is, that a lot of folks seem to be unaware of the requirement. So...

- Will MD's be stocking up on chamber flags as part of their match supplies now?

- Do we charge competitors for the flags as-requested, or just tack on $2.50 to the match fee and give them to everyone with the scorecards.

- Is it necessary to list the chamber flag requirement on match announcements for a while until people get used to this requirement, which is generally not a requirement at the "outlaw" matches?

(And thank you Bruce Gary for straightening me out on the rules. :) )

Eric,

I use a Safety block in my AR. I carry it in my bag and when I shoot 3-gun matches I have it in my AR. When RO'S see it they say it is a good thing. I do not often see these blocks or safety flag in AR'S when I go to 3-gun matches.

Eric,

were I to run a three gun, or rifle or shotgun match, I'd probably do all of the above for a while: Mention it in match announcements/apps; order a sufficient supply and adjust the entry fee accordingly; and keep some extras in my match supplies in case someone shows up without 'em in the future or breaks one during a match......

With respect to this rule, is a chamber flag needed if you case your rifle and shotgun?  I don't like to leave'm out on the rack during stages.

Erik

Erik,

from my reading of the U.S. rules, only if you're ever going to have the muzzle horizontal. If you're going to store and transport your rifle in a "reasonably vertical" manner, you appear to have the option of carrying or storing it with the bolt locked open. If it's going to be cased and horizontal though, for instance carried in the hand by case straps, or transported in a garden wagon, then you'd need a chamber flag.....

A6 website has a searchable U.S. Rulebook.....

Chamber flags are a good idea only in that they assure all the rest of the people on the range that your gun is most likely empty. There was a thread on the USPSA forum earlier that discussed the differences between mag blocks and chamber flags.

Neither a chamber flag nor a mag block should ever take the place of good, safe gun handling!

Personally I don't care which you use. I have both, but prefer a blcok in the AR because it CANNOT breal off in the chamber, I do use a regulare NRA Highpower flag in my SG since the bolt often closes with only a bump of the gate. I just insert and ease the bolt down (SG) and with the block, the AR is safe.

The argument against Magazine blocks had to do with the fact that the Block doesn't block a live round from being in the chamber, However, if inserted at ULSC-HD, a round cannot be chambered and the bolt of course cannot be closed.

As to supplying flags at a match, not a bad idea. I think I will order 50 for our upcomming rifle match. I appreciate the good idea.

Jim

donations and discounts? BAH!

what we should find out is how to get a club/match's logo on them and just include them in the signup price.

personally I use the sb-16F block/flag doodad in my rifle.

Before the chamber flags were a rules requirement, most of our local 3G and rifle matches required them. The match directors would send out the notice requiring chamber flags and if you didn't have one, the match will provide one for you to keep. Match fees covered the purchase of the flags.