Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ shadow 2: notable issues, or concerns.

Chrishoward1364

1 hour ago, Chili said:

You'd think that would be the case.  In my case with the CGW Reduced power FP spring it was almost like the spring didn't have enough pressure to put the FP all the way back for a solid strike.  The gun had a noticeably different sound when dry firing it with that spring versus the stock spring, I had changed it with the gun brand new and un tested in stock formation.  I messaged a few guys I knew overseas who were using lighter main springs to inquire what FP spring they were using and the answer was stock so I switched it back and ran 100% on everything including cheap Russian primers that are usually a problem for many.

Are/were you running the cgw extended firing  pin with their reduced spring? Just want to make sure that's not the problem.  You can't run the CGW spring with the OEM or CZC firing pin. I don't think the profile of the firing pins are the same so the springs aren't interchangeable. 

Edited by B_RAD

48 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

Are/were you running the cgw extended firing  pin with their reduced spring? Just want to make sure that's not the problem.  You can't run the CGW spring with the OEM or CZC firing pin. I don't think the profile of the firing pins are the same so the springs aren't interchangeable. 

I ran it with the CZ Custom extended Firing Pin.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I ran it with the CZ Custom extended Firing Pin.

Still, I'm just not understanding how greater opposing spring force increases the likelihood/reliability of primer ignition w/ a decreased hammer spring.  That sorta goes against physics.  But it is getting pretty late in my neck of the woods.  Maybe I need to sleep this one off.

38 minutes ago, MissionaryMike said:

Still, I'm just not understanding how greater opposing spring force increases the likelihood/reliability of primer ignition w/ a decreased hammer spring.  That sorta goes against physics.  But it is getting pretty late in my neck of the woods.  Maybe I need to sleep this one off.

I'm not physics major but basically the way I saw it was the CGW reduced FP spring in my setup did not supply enough force to push the firing pin all the way back through the retaining plate and this resulted in a less than full strike on the pin before the hammer hit the plate.  Nothing  more than a guess and the fact the sound of the hammer drop was different with the reduced spring in the gun.  I never tested the gun with the stock firing pin spring prior to changing it so when I went back to stock it was 100% and obviously I had been trying to get ahead of an issue that did not exist in my case.

6 hours ago, Chili said:

I'm not physics major but basically the way I saw it was the CGW reduced FP spring in my setup did not supply enough force to push the firing pin all the way back through the retaining plate and this resulted in a less than full strike on the pin before the hammer hit the plate.  Nothing  more than a guess and the fact the sound of the hammer drop was different with the reduced spring in the gun.  I never tested the gun with the stock firing pin spring prior to changing it so when I went back to stock it was 100% and obviously I had been trying to get ahead of an issue that did not exist in my case.

The CGW spring is too short to be used with the CZC firing pin.  It's the way the firing pins are profiled.  You have to use the CGW FP with their spring.  That's the problem. 

1 hour ago, B_RAD said:

The CGW spring is too short to be used with the CZC firing pin.  It's the way the firing pins are profiled.  You have to use the CGW FP with their spring.  That's the problem. 

Correct.  

You can't mix and match. It has to be CZ + CZ, or CGW + CGW. 

8 hours ago, B_RAD said:

Good to know, as it turns out it wasn't an issue I needed to solve as stock ran 100%.