Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ shadow 2: notable issues, or concerns.

Chrishoward1364

Hi there all, I'm still new to the forum, so I apologize if I inadvertently posted this in the wrong place. 

I have been a long time Glock shooter for defensive use, and have been using several in limited division USPSA for the past few months. While I love the Glock platform, I've been experimenting with other options lately, and after wandering about a bit, seeing where I want to be in this game, I think I'm going to transition over to a CZ Shadow 2, and shoot production division. 

I recently purchased an STI Apeiro .40 without shooting one, for use in limited, and found that while the gun functions well, I don't like the recoil profile, the overall feel, and a few other things, so i will be letting that go. In the interest of avoiding a similar scenario,  i was curious if the people that had shot the Shadow 2 had any observations worth considering before I purchase one ?

Any comment on the platform is appreciated, maintenance issues, odd recoil characteristics, parts that tend to break, safeties that kick on unintentionally, sights that fall out of dovetails, parts that tend to need to be replaced early (like extractors in an STI), triggers that don't reset correctly, irregular trigger pulls, anything that annoys or vexes you. 

I appreciate your time guys, thanks !

The only reason I'm commenting here is, like you, I'm a glock shooter and have been for years.  I was wanting a custom STI for 3 gun and limited uspsa.  I recently had the opportunity to put a few hundred rounds through a shadow 2 and a custom STI.  The shadow felt right to me.  I struggled with the STI but shot the Shadow 2 like I've been shooting it for years.  I can't comment on your other questions but I can tell you Im on the waiting list for a new shadow2

Bright, thanks for the reply. that sounds very much like my experiences. I have access to an sp-01 and shoot it neck and neck with my Glocks, pick up the 2011, and I significantly underperform. 

I'll likely have one shortly, hopefully there aren't any surprises, like the extractor issues with the 2011.

Recoil on a Shadow 2 has a more similar characteristic to the Glock because it sits lower than other CZs and the grip is longer front to back so it feels like a contoured glock frame at the base of your palm. The contour up at the grip tang is different than the glock or the STi and you will want your thumb to rest on the safety- and that looks different on CZs than other platforms due to slide in frame construction.

Shadow 2s muzzle climb is comparable to a glock now- but you don’t have to work at it as hard to hold it on target than you do with polymer guns.

I started competing with Glocks for a year or so, spent a year on 1911s and nearly 2 years on a Shadow now and am just coming up to speed with the Shadow 2 now.

I can say unemotionally the Shadow 2 is the finest 9mm I have shot- passing a tuned Tanfo even. It’s really heavy so you will have to learn to swing it around but it tracks so consistently in recoil you’ll have a hard time not liking it.

The one criticism is the stock grips are kind of trash- you might be OK because it will feel like a Glock with a spiky front/ backstrap but if you put the palmswell bogies grips from LOK grips it becomes the most ergonomic handgun I have held.

The trigger return Spring will go about 12 k rounds- so swap it at 10k. 86 the shock buffs it comes with right out of the bag unless you want to stay on top of another part you will need to change every so often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@ArrDave thank you very much, that exactly the sort of insight I was looking for. 

Having held one, I suspected much of that, but you never know till you shoot it. Glad to hear your comment about the Tanfo, a stock 2 was the only other serious contender.

You've noticed no excessive wear as a result of tossing the shock buffs?

I have been debating the grips as I live In the PNW and it alternates between too hot, and the planet Hoth. Aluminum doesn't seem that enjoyable to grip in some of the environments here.

Thanks for the info, have a great day !

[mention=55887]ArrDave[/mention] thank you very much, that exactly the sort of insight I was looking for. 

Having held one, I suspected much of that, but you never know till you shoot it. Glad to hear your comment about the Tanfo, a stock 2 was the only other serious contender.

You've noticed no excessive wear as a result of tossing the shock buffs?

I have been debating the grips as I live In the PNW and it alternates between too hot, and the planet Hoth. Aluminum doesn't seem that enjoyable to grip in some of the environments here.

Thanks for the info, have a great day !

Mine is still pretty new- I have two buddies who have had them since the beginning and after 6months of use- no issues . Given my track record with the shadow I don’t expect issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've only got 2k rounds through mine so far but like it so much I bought a 2nd one.  I replaced the grips with LOK palmswell and like them a lot.  I need to put a little loctite on the grip screws as they loosen every session.  I also put lighter hammer and recoil springs from Cajun in mine and an extended firing pin.  I really like the S2 and it's VERY accurate.  It's not hard to empty the mag and have one large hole in the target.  I've shot various weights but have settled on the 147s.  Recoil is very light and follow up shots are fast.  Awesome trigger with short reset...especially if you're coming from Glocks.

The only issue I've had is the front sight fiber optic rod fell out while shooting today.   

I have over 10,000 rounds through mine with no issues.  

I put a new piece of fiber in the front sight every other month or so because I like it to be bright red and just like any other gun it gets fouled up pretty good when you shoot/clean a lot.  

I always hear talk online about the shock buffs causing people issues but I have never seen any issue.  I am using the same shock buff that I started with in March and it is fine.  I keep waiting for it to "tear up" or "cause me problems" but it just hasn't happened yet.  It has not happened to anyone I shoot with yet either.  Maybe we're all just lucky.

I'm using a BT holster with a BOSS hanger but will probably get a RHT as they are real nice.

Edited by Focker

Recent owner, just picked up Shadow 2 from a friend who got it from another friend. Gun was unfired. It has a CZ Custom work-over with 13 lbs mainspring, competition hammer and disconnector, light firing pin spring and extended CZC firing pin.

One thing, that has nothing against gun itself, is that 0.160 Dawson sight actually turns out to be .190 due to excessive clearance over the slide, the provided set screw is wrong size, and cross pin started to walk out after 120 rounds. Maybe I didn't drive it in right, who knows.

The disappointing part  with the gun were two light strikes on a factory Federal American Eagle ammunition, 115 grain if that matters. Both were in a single action mode, first two rounds of a session as I was zeroing the gun. Both rounds ignited from DA and SA out of my carry PX4CC that actually has a reduced power hammer spring. 

No problems with the remaining 98 rounds of Fed and some 20 rounds of WWB that I had with me but I am bummed a bit. The reason I am trying to switch from my Stock 2 is just that, having a gun that can run reliably with factory ammo. Reloading is not going to happen for me. 

Edited by YVK
typo

2 hours ago, YVK said:

The disappointing part  with the gun were two light strikes on a factory Federal American Eagle ammunition, 115 grain if that matters.

From my experience, the 13 lb main spring lights off essentially everything. That ammo should not even have an issue with a 11.5 lb main spring. Check to make sure everything is polished right, and that ammo plunk tests in your barrel. I would be disappointed too if I were you.

Both of my Shadow 2's were 100% on all primers with an 11.5# CGW spring and the stock FP spring and Firing Pin.  The only issue I had with light strikes at the initial setup was I tried a CGW reduced power FP spring and extended firing pin and had all sorts of issues, went back to the stock FP spring and firing pin and was 100% again.

6 hours ago, Rdelawder said:

Chili

11.5 cgw spring, is that the hammer spring? What recoil spring are you running?

Yes Main/Hammer spring, CZ Custom 11lb for the recoil spring.

Edited by Chili

On 10/15/2017 at 7:55 AM, Chili said:

Both of my Shadow 2's were 100% on all primers with an 11.5# CGW spring and the stock FP spring and Firing Pin.  The only issue I had with light strikes at the initial setup was I tried a CGW reduced power FP spring and extended firing pin and had all sorts of issues, went back to the stock FP spring and firing pin and was 100% again.

I'm not sure I understand why you'd have trouble w/ light strikes using a reduced power FP spring.  It allows the primer to be struck harder than with the stock FP spring, thus increasing reliability, no?

Edited by MissionaryMike

9 hours ago, MissionaryMike said:

I'm not sure I understand why you'd have trouble w/ light strikes using a reduced power FP spring.  It allows the primer to be struck harder than with the stock FP spring, thus increasing reliability, no?

You'd think that would be the case.  In my case with the CGW Reduced power FP spring it was almost like the spring didn't have enough pressure to put the FP all the way back for a solid strike.  The gun had a noticeably different sound when dry firing it with that spring versus the stock spring, I had changed it with the gun brand new and un tested in stock formation.  I messaged a few guys I knew overseas who were using lighter main springs to inquire what FP spring they were using and the answer was stock so I switched it back and ran 100% on everything including cheap Russian primers that are usually a problem for many.