Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry load

Djp55

On 10/3/2017 at 6:35 PM, Djp55 said:

For those who do reload their carry, any particular brand of hollow points better than another? 

I cannot help you on a brand, but really do your homework on this, and when you have a few you like, test them on a target that simulates a human body, and check for expansion. Expansion is a key element for a defensive round. I have seen one particular unknown brand JHP act like ball ammo. It went through a 2x4 and kept its shape. No expansion. From what I could tell of it, and the other un-fired rounds with matching bullets, from the same magazine, was that the hollow-point configuration was less pronounced than Winchester Ranger defensive rounds. I don't know enough to tell you how hollow point design vs. metallurgy, vs other characteristics affect expansion.

Best of luck

Awesome, thanks for the advice @armydad. I know people disagree on doing this but I get my legal advice elsewhere. I'm really just looking for load data or generic information relating to the topic. While I appreciate the input, I'm really just wanting information on load and bullet types. I'm not looking for a flame war here so please, if you disagree with making your own defensive ammo, just let it go. I'd like this to stay on topic to be a resource for myself or any other who may undertake this arguably foolhardy endeavor. 

Edited by Djp55

The other thing to keep in mind when selecting a bullet is whether it's just jacketed or bonded.

Nothing wrong with either and Gold Dots are actually plated. But from what I've read, bonded bullets retain their petals better than jacketed. Jacketed have shown to occasionally separate from the core. Some field testing will help you determine what works best for you.

I've also worked up 10mm defensive loads (won't be sharing that info on this subform). I used Hornady XTP, Speer GD and Remingtion Golden Saber for testing. And Silhouette, N350 and BE-86 for my powders. Each bullet design showed better accuracy then the others depending on what charge weight I used. I probably experimented with about 27 different combinations of bullet, powder and charge to find what worked best for my needs. It takes time but the journey is very rewarding.

Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress.

5 hours ago, 9x45 said:

Yea, don't listen to those top gun school instructors, or LEO, or gun lawyers, what do those know nothing guys know anyway. Listen to a guy on the internet..... 

It sounds like "they" know how to parrot Massad Ayoob's 1980's Miami Vice era firearms dogma. Feel free to provide a single instance of someone being prosecuted in a self defense shooting for using handloads. I'll wait...patiently.

And, by the way, what's the load recipe?  What powder type and charge weight? what OAL? What does that chrono at out of what gun? It's only those little details that build credibility.

I originally put this load together with a lot of 1k bullets. I shot probably 600 rounds through the gun and kept the rest for carry. I carried the same two mags of ammo for 8 years and cycled the top two rounds through the gun every day (at least 1k cycles). Bullet setback measured .015" when I shot the two mags last year. Zero cycling issues with any of it, ever. I could probably stand to retune the load but I don't care that much, it's a show stopper.

124gr Speer Gold Dot

Mixed brass

6.6gr AA#5

1.125"

1115fps

4" S&W M&P

Maybe you're not happy with that though. My 10mm Auto carry ammo goes as follows, same 1K loaded round methodology(200rd retaned): 

180gr Gold Dot

Starline virgin brass

9.5gr Long Shot

1.255"

1250FPS

4.6" G20

858, I thought you were so poor you couldn't afford a chrono, having to load your own self defense rounds. Even at $2 a pop, so what? Not like you shoot 200 every weekend..... But this forum is not the place for Tactical Teddy posts. It's a home for competition shooters. Try posting over at TacticalPlumber.com    

I say look at the Hunting bullets made by Sierra, Hornady, Nosler etc.  
You should find Hollow Point and Soft Point bullets sold in small quantities.  
Focus on developing loads for accuracy so you can maximize hits on a moving target.   
Consider your preferred point of aim, 6 O'clock or Bullseye. 
Choose a bullet weight that will permit your chosen point of aim to work best.

Spend the winter at an indoor range tinkering with them.

Another option is to look at a Flat Point Coated Lead Bullet with hardness matched to pressure.   
The Missouri Bullet Company does this quite well.  
You can become a bullseye shooter with your CC gun with the practice you can afford to do.

Who knows how to choose the best powder on the market these days.

Pick one in the middle of the various reloading data lists you find for your chosen bullet type.

If it shows up on several lists it is a good idea.

If it is in the middle it is typically not a maximum pressure so you don't have to trickle the powder to be safe.

As for charge, use published data and do not exceed maximum.  

Function of your gun will be critical if you must use it.

Finding out your +P+Z Hyper load finally broke your spring is a bad thing.
Your focus is to quickly be able to put 3 hits into a bullseye @ 10 yards with one hand.

That is easily said... Yup.

Other peoples lives could depend on you hitting your target and not them.

Also, consider staggering your bullets.   

Hollow points may not function so a Soft Nose or Flat Point may be required. 

In my opinion, don't worry about the Hand loads in the Courtroom discussion.  Google the topic and research for yourself.

You loaded hunting bullets because you are more likely to use your gun for a charging dog or vicious dog attacking a child than be a victim of crime.
You chose not to carry 'Man Killer Factory made Commercial Self Defense Cartridges' because... you did not want to kill the deceased.

Remember LEO's are trained to unload their Glock if they pull their weapon. 
So 3-5-7-9-11-13-15-or 17 hits is not excessive in a court room.

This Forum is for firearm, technique, and conceptual discussions pertaining to training and competition. (And various unrelated topics.) While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged. And please, no hunting or "killing animals" (of any kind) threads.

The above is not the only reason this thread was locked.