Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZC 140mm base pads failed the magazine gauge!!

Superpipe9

1 hour ago, adamge said:

Is this where I poke you guys and mention that those of us playing by a 10 round mag capacity limit don't have to worry about such things?

it's also the place where we remind you how many choices we have in comparison versus in the "51st state" up north.

2 hours ago, adamge said:

Is this where I poke you guys and mention that those of us playing by a 10 round mag capacity limit don't have to worry about such things?

Yep.... this was my first big major shooting limited and that's exactly what I said. Going back to production!  Not really, limited is too much fun. 

36 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

it's also the place where we remind you how many choices we have in comparison versus in the "51st state" up north.

My squad at area 8 had 2 guys with some beautiful and expensive custom limited guns and I couldn't figure out why the heck they kept dropping mags on the stage. NewYork 

On 9/3/2017 at 10:22 AM, Superpipe9 said:

So a company make and sales a product that does not work for  it's intended use and you think that's ok? It's pretty simple to measure mags, take the longest length and make the base pad off of this. I can almost get 22 in my mags, unfortunately they don't fit the gauge like they should. So there is plenty of room to still have 21 and make them fit the gauge. So by your way of thinking it's ok to spend $100 on a mag set up from a company and have to do butcher the brand new stuff you just bought.  How about the said company actually make a product that works! 

My way of thinking my is that there are several variable at play on assembling mags or making a gun make weight or fit a box.... and everyone should take personal responsibility to make sure their equipment makes specs before hitting a major match. 

I DO agree that the makers of these extensions that take your mag right to the edge of 141.5mm should have a large disclaimer on their product ad stating that YRMV and making the mag gauge is not guaranteed and agree to take them back if your combo is to long. 

I have filed many a mag base and also back of the feed lips area to get mags compliant. Never worried about how pretty it turned out - but I understand some do.

2 hours ago, sfinney said:

I DO agree that the makers of these extensions that take your mag right to the edge of 141.5mm should have a large disclaimer on their product ad stating that YRMV and making the mag gauge is not guaranteed and agree to take them back if your combo is to long. 

Just looked at CZ Custom and they now have a warning to check length. I think they need to change "due to the tolerances of the magazines" to "due to the fact that we hosed up the previous design and did not allow for known tolerances and aren't willing to give refunds for our products that do not work" . 

Not wishing to fuss with anyone, also do not mean to imply that CZ Custom should be perfect and never have any screw ups, but when you pay hard earned money for 140 they should send you something that works or make things right with their apologies included. It is unusual in the gun business to find folks who are not happy to make things right. 

This may be an unpopular opinion, but CZC didn't show up to a major match with a magazine that didn't gage. I think we all know there are tolerance stacking issues in all mechanical things that are mass produced - especially when different companies make different parts. I wouldn't blame Wolff if recoil spring didn't work with certain set of parts I had put together. I would go out and test fire and test fire and test fire some more. Could it have been flawless and always a 140mm? Sure. Would I have checked before driving my "hard earned money" to a major match? You betcha. This drive for the edge of limits has always baffled me - what can you do with 20 rounds that you can't do with 18 that warrants special followers and mags that are over $100 each when a MecGar is like $26?

Lee

6 minutes ago, RevolverJockey said:

I wouldn't blame Wolff if recoil spring didn't work with certain set of parts I had put together.

If it didn't even fit in the gun or wasn't the weight you paid for (apples to apples) you may have been perturbed. 

Perhaps I'm just a butt, however I have never bought anything from anybody where the vendor had an obvious "oops" and then wasn't happy to fix their mistake. 

If I asked for a +5% and got a +6% how upset can I be? Things are made by people or people running machines. It isn't like OP asked for a firing pin and got a spatula - it was probably like .020" from fitting and the parts were probably within the historically acceptable limits where they made an in tolerance mag. Obviously in this case they were at the opposite extremes and did not. It is literally impossible for one company to keep up with the manufacturing variation of another company unless you are sending them your mags to be built where they can control all variables. My point is this is something within your capability of checking. It isn't like you chroned at 6,000 feet and 90 degrees then shot a match at sea level when it was freezing and you couldn't predict the outcome. I am pretty sure the standard is standard regardless those variables. Like I said, probably not a popular opinion, but competitor equipment is their resonsibility.

Edited by RevolverJockey

3 minutes ago, RevolverJockey said:

It is literally impossible for one company to keep up with the manufacturing variation of another company unless you are sending them your mags to be built where they can control all variables. 

Or like if you bought all of the components from the same supplier? Not sure if the op did this but it is a fair guess that some of the other folks that got hosed did. 

This ain't like they were re-engineering a complex doo-dad buried in the bowels or a rocket ship. CZC 140 basepads don't work with the mag bodies, again, everybody screws up now and then that is very understandable, just seems surprising that the conversation would extend beyond something like 'sorry, please send them back and we will send you the right part'.