Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major Match Schedule: Th-sat Or Fri-sun?

This poll was started because of an interesting thread drift from the 2005 Area 1 discussion. It is intended to give the MD's an idea of shooter's overall preferences. The Th-Sat schedule is what Area 1 did this year, last shots were about 12:30 and awards were 7pm on Saturday. This gave shooters a chance to tour the area Sunday and relax. This is intended to have you stay over on Saturday night.

The other option is to run a Fri-Sun schedule that finishes Sunday afternoon, and is intended to give you time to get out of town on Sunday afternoon. This is a bit more rushed of a schedule, with not much extra time to explore the area and does not give you a night to go out with friends.

What is your preference? Please vote before posting a reply.

I like the Thu - Sat. I can get the time off (in theory anyway) and it gives me a day at home to recover or a full travel day.

It's also easy to see why someone would prefer only losing 1 day from work/vacation time, and they will likely be in the majority here.

For me (and, yes, it *is* all about me B) ) a lot of it depends on where the match is, and how much travel is involved in getting home.

If the match is within, say, 5 hours drive, or near a "hub" airport, a Fri-Sun schedule is great. I'll be able to stay around a bit on Sunday afternoon, and still be home in time to be [relatively] coherent when I hit the office at 6am Monday morning.

If the match takes more time to get to, I really appreciate having Saturday evening to socialize with friends, and the whole day Sunday to travel without time pressure. For the Area-1 match, it was surprisingly nice to be able to catch up on some ZZZs Saturday night, pack up all my stats gear Sunday morning, do the 8-hour drive home and *still* get there early enough to spend a little time with my wife on Sunday evening.

ymmv

Bruce

When I was selling my house to move to Montana, the realtor said "the prime condsideration is location location location". If I can't drive to it I ain't going.

I didn't vote because I don't have anything that controls my time. I went to Missoula on Jun 17th to help with the set-up & returned on Jun 27th after the tear-down.

At most major matches, I am working not shooting, so I end up there longer than most anyway. However.... at Area 4 this year, it was really nice to end on Saturday, go to the range for awards Sunday AM (and teardown), and then have most of Sunday left to get back home. Home by maybe 6:00 PM that Sunday gave me some time with Mrs BDH, and a little downtime before my alarm goes off at 5 AM Monday morning..... ;)

Then again, I completely understand the extra vacation days burned during the week, so maybe we are better shooting through Sunday to avoid the work disruption. :huh:

Now you know why I placed a null vote.... :ph34r:

Fri-Sun makes a lot more sense for most of us poor working slobs!!!

Since we are on the subject of match format: I have been to 4 major matches so far this year (Fla Open, AR6, SC Section, & AR8). All of these matches have filled to capacity, and have boasted far higher attendencd than in previous years. In my opinion the largest reason for this change is that all offered shooting in a single day format. This is far easier on shooters, saving both time(vacation days) and dollars (allowing us to shoot more matches per year). If I want a sight seeing trip, I'll plan one. If I go somewhere to shoot I want to shoot hard, enjoy the comradarie of the other shooters, and go home!

mark dye

I just got back from shooting Area 3 on Sunday. I won't do a match in that area, that time of year again in one day. The weather was just too taxing on me and it just wasn't enjoyable. I'd rather take an extra day and enjoy myself. I do this for fun. I did not have fun at this match. (Only because of the weather and one day format, the stages and staff were great.)