Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Australian Shadow extended barrel vs standard length barrel and CGW 10x bushing

fastlane604

I recently posted a question about whether the Australian Shadow extended barrel would fit in the CGW 10x bushing. The consensus is that it will not. I need a new barrel for my 75 Shadow SA.  My current barrel is no longer serviceable. Please don't ask why. I know the advantages of the 10x bushing. I installed one on an SP-01. 

I doubt there is any increased accuracy with the Auz barrel, since the fit has to be loose enough to slide the extended barrel through the internal bushing.  I have read a post that states there is some increase in velocity due to the .225" increase in length and that it shoots flatter.  I shoot this gun in IDPA matches. I am debating whether to buy the factory barrel and a 10x bushing and get greater accuracy (although the gun's accuracy is pretty good, right now) or buy the Auz barrel and possibly have faster follow up shots due to requiring less powder and a flatter shooting gun.

For you who have the Auz barrel, what do you think? Does it really shoot flatter? How much faster is it?  And I am fully prepared to ignore the posts of those who don't have the Auz barrel but feel the need to tell me that .225" won't make any difference one way or the other. :)

I had the AUS barrels installed on my Accu's a few years ago.  As a B class shooter I honestly can't tell any difference in groupings or velocity when I'm shooting.  But it looks cool!

I did just pick up a couple Shadow 2's for Production and installed a CGW bushing.  And I noticed a very slight improvement in groupings from a bench rest at 10, 15, and 20 yards on the S2 after I installed the CGW bushing.  Shooting 147 gr.  So for $60 I'd say it's definitely worth it.

1 hour ago, JGus said:

I had the AUS barrels installed on my Accu's a few years ago.  As a B class shooter I honestly can't tell any difference in groupings or velocity when I'm shooting.  But it looks cool!

I did just pick up a couple Shadow 2's for Production and installed a CGW bushing.  And I noticed a very slight improvement in groupings from a bench rest at 10, 15, and 20 yards on the S2 after I installed the CGW bushing.  Shooting 147 gr.  So for $60 I'd say it's definitely worth it.

JGus,

How are the groups of your Accu compared to your Shadow 2 with CGW bushing?

3 hours ago, fastlane604 said:

JGus,

How are the groups of your Accu compared to your Shadow 2 with CGW bushing?

The CZ Shadow 2 groupings from a bench rest with the CGW bushing are outstanding as would be expected.  But they don't quite group like my CZ Accu Shadows with Aussie barrels.  The Accu would group under 1" all day long from a bench rest at 20 yards with 147gr SNS over 3.5 to 3.6 gr of Ramshot Competiton.  But the difference is pretty much negligible.

However, I have noticed improved follow up shots with the heavier S2, with longer barrel and higher bore axis grip, during actual matches vs my Accu Shadows.

27 minutes ago, JGus said:

The CZ Shadow 2 groupings from a bench rest with the CGW bushing are outstanding as would be expected.  But they don't quite group like my CZ Accu Shadows with Aussie barrels.  The Accu would group under 1" all day long from a bench rest at 20 yards with 147gr SNS over 3.5 to 3.6 gr of Ramshot Competiton.  But the difference is pretty much negligible.

However, I have noticed improved follow up shots with the heavier S2, with longer barrel and higher bore axis grip, during actual matches vs my Accu Shadows.

Thanks, JGus.

4 hours ago, Ken6PPC said:

I was just thinking....  I know, that can be dangerous!  

How about installing a CZC match barrel, instead of the Australian?  

Australian Barrel  

Match Barrel 

Ken,

I suppose that is another choice. At this point I will probably go with the standard barrel and the CGW bushing.

• 2 weeks later...
sp01 shadow with stock barrel and bushing. accu shadow with aus barrel. shadow 2 with stock barrel and 10x bushing.
1503366815480774743604.thumb.jpg.136e0d25d362d458c8fe8b4a259234c0.jpg
.40 TS slide with 10x bushing on the left. SP01 Accu Shadow bushing with the Aussie barrel on the right.

I have been extremely satisfied with the Aussie barrel. I have moved it from one slide to another over the years and the groups were always tighter than the original barrel.8c65de8f7e4e04e0402c9b3a6466fb92.jpg

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk