Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ SP-01 SAO vs. CZ TS

Coctomus

So I am trying to get a replacement for my stock Glock 17 for limited USPSA/IPSC and after several deals going south on buying a used CZ TS, I am now considering buying either a SP-01 SAO or a CZ TS. Most likely in .40, since everyone tells me to get .40 for limited (although I would prefer 9mm).

The difficulty in choice is caused by...

SP-01: Can use the Kadet for cheap draw/ first round shot practice and cheaper. Really love the idea of using .22 for practice.

CZ TS: Larger mags, longer sight radius, bigger grip (big hands), and can convert to 9mm.

What gun do you guys think I should get?

If you are going to shoot limited, I'd suggest the TS or the TS Orange, both in .40.  Because of their size, both shoot major PF very softly, granted not .22 soft, but not G23 snappy either.

If you are biased towards 9mm, get the SP01 Shadow or Shadow 2.  You can shoot that in Production and with mag extensions you would be able to shoot Limited.

P.S. New TS's can be had for ~$1050/new/shipped.  So not much more than a new SP01 and about the same as a Shadow 2

Edited by muncie21

You could also consider Carry Optics.  Take a production legal CZ pistol and install a red dot.  Mags are limited to 140mm, but capacity is not.  You can load as many rounds as fits.  That allows you to run stages like a Limited shooter, without the scoring penalty.  Everyone in CO is scored minor.  Then you can put the Kadet top end on for 22.

If you want to shoot Limited Major, you will be handicapped by mag capacity in 40 with anything other that the TS.

I'm going to repeat what zzt just said in case you missed it:

Do not buy an SP01 in .40 for USPSA Limited!

The TS is a wide-bodied frame specifically designed as a high capacity gun in .40, it holds 21+1 in a 140mm mag, whereas an SP01 140mm mag might hold 14 or 15 rounds.

The TS is the CZ Limited gun no question.

An SP01 in .40 would be adequate (although not optimal) for Limited-10 major, or 9mm Limited minor.

If you have big hands you'll love the TS!

As for .22 practice, it's not going to be as helpful as you think, take your Kadet money and buy a reloading press, that'll keep your per round costs down.

Edited by kneelingatlas

The TS has a mono trigger bar specifically designed for SAO, with a better hammer. 

A sp01 ran in SAO is typically void of the disco. That being said, you could run a sp01 with a t3 disco and comp hammer and get a trigger close to a TS. 

That being said, the capacity shortcoming of the sp01 makes it a poor choice over the TS for limited. 

The CZ TS .40 was designed and built specifically for Limited. It is a competition gun with a 1 3/4# trigger. Out of the box  you are in an excellent position. Personally I only added larger mags and now have a gun ready for my journey through the competition world. 

From the CZ-USA site:

"The CZ 75 TS is a competition-ready pistol designed for IPSC standard division (USPSA limited division). The weight and balance of the CZ 75 TS are optimized for the rapid, accurate style of shooting necessary for success in practical shooting disciplines. The Tactical Sports model is the next generation of the proven CZ 75 Standard IPSC. The TS retains all of the best features of Standard IPSC model and improves upon the platform with increased durability, new sights, a new trigger system and more. "

Consider that the SP-01 can be successfully coerced into a competition shooter it was designed to carry accessories and to be used in real world situations (military and police).

" The SP-01 was designed as a military and law enforcement duty sidearm. The new model is currently in use by security forces fighting the war on terrorism. "

ref: http://cz-usa.com

Looks like the CZ TS is the overwhelming winner, with the SP-01 only being viable in limited-10 and production. I didn't realize the magazine capacity difference was that large.

I shall continue my search for a used CZ TS in .40.

My family shares a progressive reloading press and I can get brass easily from the local range. Is there anything to note about reloading for the CZ TS?

What holster do you guys use for the TS?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Coctomus said:

Looks like the CZ TS is the overwhelming winner, with the SP-01 only being viable in limited-10 and production. I didn't realize the magazine capacity difference was that large.

I shall continue my search for a used CZ TS in .40.

My family shares a progressive reloading press and I can get brass easily from the local range. Is there anything to note about reloading for the CZ TS?

What holster do you guys use for the TS?

I have settled on the Blade Tech. it is straight forward and non-gimmicky.
I have also a Guga Ribas/Ernie Hill. It is an excellent holster when your skills get to that level. The one serious failure for the CZ TS is BladeTech's competition holster. It does not work well as it cannot support the weight at the top. I've had my CZ fall out twice doing simple tasks such as walking or jogging. There will be no third time.

I have settled on the Blade Tech. it is straight forward and non-gimmicky.
I have also a Guga Ribas/Ernie Hill. It is an excellent holster when your skills get to that level. The one serious failure for the CZ TS is BladeTech's competition holster. It does not work well as it cannot support the weight at the top. I've had my CZ fall out twice doing simple tasks such as walking or jogging. There will be no third time.
Oh, I was looking at getting that holster due to the price.
Even tightening it down wouldn't work?

I use a Red Hill Tactical holster with the Blade Tech WRS retention system for 3 gun. You may not need retention during a stage like I do for 3 gun but it might work great for you if you're worried about the gun going overboard. RHT is a vendor here on Enos, his prices and service are quite good.

I have a Bladetech and am not happy with it.  By time you get it tight enough to feel like the gun is secure there is way too much drag.  Leave it loose and the weight of the gun overcomes the rigidity of the kydex.  

I run mine in a Guga Ribas and am happy with it.  I've heard good things about the new Alpha X.  If I want a kydex in the future I will order from Rich at Red Hill Tactical and get a double layer kydex holster.

4 hours ago, Coctomus said:

Oh, I was looking at getting that holster due to the price.
Even tightening it down wouldn't work?

No tightening down does not help. It is a matter of too little plastic and too much weight. The lack of safety is not worth the hassle.

Blade  Tech has a classic OWB holster which does the trick, as well

Another vote for the TS.  Mine is my favorite gun I've ever owned by a large margin. The stock grips aren't great and you'll want a fiber optic front sight. No other needed upgrades, but I did plenty and am still going.

I use a ghost stinger/thunder and like it a lot, but it has worn the finish down in some spots.  Probably should've gone with a Red Hill Tactical.  Very happy with the work he did on a different holster.

If you want to run a BladeTech kydex holster for a TS, you must use something like the BOSS hanger.  The DO piece of the BladeTeck is angled way too much and allows the gun to put pressure on the right side of the holster. The BOSS hanger allows to gun to sit almost straight up and down and eliminated the lean.  You have enough tension adjustment to safely retain without overdoing it.  The BOSS allows a much greater range of adjustments.

I tried the BT Competition One holster both ways before deciding I really wanted a DAA RaceMaster holster.  BTW, nothing will work well if you use a floppy belt.

2 minutes ago, zzt said:

If you want to run a BladeTech kydex holster for a TS, you must use something like the BOSS hanger.  The DO piece of the BladeTeck is angled way too much and allows the gun to put pressure on the right side of the holster. The BOSS hanger allows to gun to sit almost straight up and down and eliminated the lean.  You have enough tension adjustment to safely retain without overdoing it.  The BOSS allows a much greater range of adjustments.

I tried the BT Competition One holster both ways before deciding I really wanted a DAA RaceMaster holster.  BTW, nothing will work well if you use a floppy belt.

Even on my hanger I find the plastic of the Bladetech not to have enough rigidity.  I shot one match with it and switched to a Guga Ribas.  If I put a 9mm barrel in one of my TSs, I'll order a double layer RHT to shoot 3 gun.

I use a Red Hill Tactical holster with the Blade Tech WRS retention system for 3 gun. You may not need retention during a stage like I do for 3 gun but it might work great for you if you're worried about the gun going overboard. RHT is a vendor here on Enos, his prices and service are quite good.
Ah okay, thank you. I will look into Red Hill when I get the CZ TS. How much is it usually?

Even on my hanger I find the plastic of the Bladetech not to have enough rigidity.  I shot one match with it and switched to a Guga Ribas.  If I put a 9mm barrel in one of my TSs, I'll order a double layer RHT to shoot 3 gun.
Has the BT w/ BOSS ever made your CZ fall?

15 minutes ago, Coctomus said:

Has the BT w/ BOSS ever made your CZ fall?

I don't use BOSS hangers.  I have not had the gun fall.  It is just that to tighten down the gun until it feels secure, you loose the draw.  Go looser to get a smooth draw and feels like the gun is flopping around in the holster.

image.jpeg.f2080690af58db4a1f589547b61f1796.jpegIf you are truly set on saving money by buying a Bladetech, which it seems you are, I will sell you mine on a DOH mount for $70.  That way if you are disappointed you're not in for over $100 plus shipping.

Edited by aandabooks

1 hour ago, Coctomus said:

Ah okay, thank you. I will look into Red Hill when I get the CZ TS. How much is it usually?

$105 plus shipping. I had the Blade Tech previously, like everyone says you have to choose between retention or draw. You can't have both.

image.jpeg.f2080690af58db4a1f589547b61f1796.jpegIf you are truly set on saving money by buying a Bladetech, which it seems you are, I will sell you mine on a DOH mount for $70.  That way if you are disappointed you're not in for over $100 plus shipping.
I am definitely interested. Right now I am talking to someone on the forum about buying their CZ TS, but I'm not sure if they are selling their holster with it. I will ask him and get back to you. If they aren't I will buy it from you!

+1 for TS for limited. I have one (and have had 75 series guns in .40S&W) and it is a phenomenal value. It comes ready for competition right out of the box and has a great trigger. I did a couple upgrades over time: FO front sight, flat trigger, IPSC magwell, thin AL grips, CZC extended base pads and guts. 

I also got a 9mm upper from CZC. Easy to swap for 3 gun, practice or steel challenge. 

My blade tech holster works fine. The Boss hanger is a nice upgrade. 

C, you can have both, but it requires a race holster.  As I mentioned earlier, I started with a straight BladeTech Competition One DOH.  I didn't like it.  I added the BOSS hanger and everything was better, but not good enough for me.  I went with a DAA Racemaster and I love it.  There is almost zero resistance to the draw, yet it will never fall out of the holster when locked.  Even unlock in preparation for the draw, it is secure enough that you can move and twirl around on a up range start without worrying about it falling out.  Make sure you get the magnetic insert.  No tension adjustment is necessary with that one.