Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would Like To Buy A New Revolver

sps

sps,

if you are wanting to get a revolver for competion, i'd get the s&w 625 (45acp) or the s&w 610 (.40 cal / 10mm). these are the most poplar in ipsc shooting.

for just having a revolver, i like the 686.

lynn

If you wish to shoot .38/.357 get the 627. If you need to get out of the gun for any reason (some people have genetic deficiencies which do not allow them to appreciate the finer things in life like revolvers), you can get out of the gun easily and inexpensively. There is a huge mindset that I have to fight myself that says: "Used 6 shooter=$300). If you wish to compete in USPSA, get a 625 .45acp.

If for competition, either the PC 627 or the 625 S&W, depending on if for USPSA(625) or ICORE(PC627). For jes' playin' with a revolver, the Ruger is probably more durable, but the S&W can be tuned far better.

What kind of shooting are you going to be doing??? If it's competition then with a 6" barrel IPDA is rules out, if its USPSA then get the s&w model 625 (45 acp), if it's ICORE/USPSA limited 10 then get a 8 shot s&w model 627. if you still can't make a desicion, use your semi-auto's as the factor, keep them the same ammo, it makes reloading, or buying ammo easier.

I might be biased but stay away from rugers, taurus, etc.. and stay with a S&W. The worst thing you will ever do is try the trigger on someones smith that has a Apex trigger job on it, or similer job, and trigger envy it a hard thing to live with.

Underlug wrote:

There is a huge mindset that I have to fight myself that says: "Used 6 shooter=$300
Dude - I've NEVER paid that much for a used one - with the exception of my unfired (until 45 minutes after I bought it) four inch nickle M57 no-dash, for which I went $350. You need to find another gun store. :D

Underlug wrote:
There is a huge mindset that I have to fight myself that says: "Used 6 shooter=$300
Dude - I've NEVER paid that much for a used one - with the exception of my unfired (until 45 minutes after I bought it) four inch nickle M57 no-dash, for which I went $350. You need to find another gun store. :D

I agree I picked up a 686 plus brand new for $400.

I would also have to agree with John, first you need to identify the main usage and then a purchase can be derived, buying other peoples favorite revolvers could be a costly purchase, when you need to replace it later with something that is actually suitable.

thank you all for your time and suggestions. the revolver would be for pure fun, not for competition. i'm going to have a serious look on ol the models you offered and keep you updated on the "chosen one".

if it for pure fun, then my suggestion would be a S&W model 617. It's a 10 shot 22 long rifle, it'll teach you trigger control, and dirt cheap to shoot.

This morning I took a machinest who works out here at the mine with me to the shooting range. he wanted to buy a ruger super redhawk in 454 casuall, there tracker model or one of the new 460 S&W. my only comment to him was he didn't need all that power, just to be plinking with. So I let him shoot my 7.5" ruger blackhawk in 45 colt that I use to hunt elk, dear and feral hogs with. my elk load is a 325gr LBT with 21.5 gr of H110, it runs about 1200 fps. my dear and hog load is a 300gr Speer GDHP with 22 gr of Lil'gun, it runs about 1300 fps. he also shot my carry gun which is a Model 625 mountain gun in 45 colt, and the load is factory 250 gr speer GDHP and it pushes 920 fps. He changed his mind about wanting to shoot the high end loads, he couln't handle a magnumized 45 colt, I doubt he could have handled the hotter loads. I guess I should have kept my mouth shut and I could have baught the gun he choose dirt cheap.

I agree with John about the 617 10 shot....

If you don't mind a single action and want to shoot small caliber the Ruger Single six is an Ideal set up... You get a .22 cylinder and a .22 WMR Cylinder (great for Jack Rabbits).

When I was still in south TX we would go out and jump Jacks, after a short distance you can whistle at them and most will stop and look, we would then try to pierce thier ears with the .22 wmr. most of the time we would miss completely but if you ever did they jump straight up about 5 to 6 feet and then run off shaking their head. (some of the things we did to have fun instead of playing game boy, or sitting infront of a computer after getting home from school)

back on the subject, the Single six can be made to have a great trigger if done by a competent gunsmith.... something to think of.

Hopalong

I'll have to agree with the others on the 617/10 shot.

It is just plain fun to shoot, mines a 4", I got it because it matched the balance & feel of my 4" 686+. Both of these revolvers are equally my favorites, but the 617 does have the edge as a plinker -- cheaper to feed (mine likes bulk 525rd Federal)

Both are very accurate.

If you do get a 617, either buy some snap caps or save some empties and keep them in the cylinder so it isn't damaged by dry firing.

-- Jerry