Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

favorite muzzle brake/comp for AR

Les Snyder

I would like to put a muzzle brake on my AR (threaded) but have been out of the high tech product loop for a few years.  There appeared to be a lot of ArmaLite style "slanted" comps at North Carolina.  With the home made comps I've built in the past, they usually suffered from oscillation problems caused by the ejected case.  Does anybody have a favorite that makes the 1inch diameter, 2 inch length rule, that doesn't have objectionable side blast like the AK comp... regards

Installing a comp on a post-ban is easy.  Use a threaded barrel and have it permanently attached.  I have a letter from the ATF approving such a course of action, if you need a copy let me know.

If the barrel is post-ban and not threaded, your choices are; thread it, install and permanently attach, or bore out the rear of the comp to slip over the muzzle, then permanently attach (to keep it on when you shoot).

If you want a comp that works for Open, the best by far is the McArthur Comp, used by winning pin shooters at Second Chance.  But, it is the size of a soda can, and not suitable for Limited.

Our club 3-gun match was Sunday, and there were guys shooting guns with the JP brakes on them.  If I'd known, I'd have tried theirs and mine.

Bruce is at Flint 'n Frizzen Gun shop, in Clarkston, MI.  In the book.

Next chance I get, I'll try them side by side and let you guys know what I observe.

(Edited by Patrick Sweeney at 1:09 pm on July 10, 2001)

Novice question to follow...

I have a pair of BushMasters with flash hiders and use both for IPSC rifle.  I am interested in putting a comp on the one I use for Open.  It's an 11.5" barrel.  Looks like the flash hider threads off but I haven't checked.  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ross

Ross that flash supressor is probably pinned and welded.If you take it off it would be an illegal 11.5 barrel(at least in the US without the proper paperwork).I would look into getting a 20" barrel for that gun if it were mine.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Quote: from Bill H on 9:09 am on July 10, 2001

Pat, do you know how the JP compares with the McArthur? Where do you get this brake from?

Bill

I can say that the JP comp is very effective. I put 1 on my Oly Ultra Match this winter and I love it. One problem though...... it is no longer Limited legal. They changed the rules 2 months after I put it on ( pinned and welded on post ban upper) and I only got to shoot it in ONE match. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Any open gunner looking for a super accurate no recoil upper?

That's always the way--just when get it figured out someone changes the rules.

You could get a gunsmith to change brakes since probably only the pin is welded. Of course then you trash the JP comp.

Bill H

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

JP makes the JPRE-1 Bennie Cooley comp.  Legal in Limited, and extremly effective. They are on all my guns.

(Edited by AH6IP at 5:24 pm on Aug. 27, 2002)

(Edited by AH6IP at 5:51 pm on Aug. 28, 2002)

I have a JP on one gun and an EGW Race Comp on the other and I like the EGW better. There's really no recoil with either but ther JP seems to impart a little side to side motion. The EGW gun just doesn't move at all.

One other problem with the big JP is it can snag on ports or picking the gun off a table (caught on the far edge once when practicing). The EGW won't.

Yep, the new comp from JP is the JPRE-1(like the one on Bennie's gun on page 52 in the new Front Sight).  Comes threaded in 1/2x28, 9/16x28 and 5/8x28.  

(Edited by AH6IP at 5:50 pm on Aug. 28, 2002)

Hey flexmoney-

I've tried the mini-Y comp, the Miculek(very nice), Smith's and OpsInc.  All did reduce recoil, but not like the JP Cooley comp.  Plus, it comes in a post-ban legal thread pattern for those concerned with mounting on a post ban weapon.  And, you can tune it for the right or left hand shooter.

• 1 month later...

The best looking (IMO), and highly effective muzzle breaks for post-ban Ar15's are the ones currently being made by Kurt's Kustom Firearms. Check out some of his stuff here: http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com...e/page/8932.htm

There are a lot of pics of his work in his discussion forums as well.

The Cav Comp and Wilson breaks tie for second place.

(Edited by erice at 8:21 pm on Oct. 13, 2002)

• 1 month later...

Les,

I have tried and tested several comps...Smith, Mini-Y, AK, Mickulek, Cooley.  I would highly recommend the Cooley Comp from JP or the Mickulek.  The Cooley can be set up for Left or Right hand shooter.  A 9/16" thread pattern is post ban legal too.  The best thing to do is try your buddies and buy the one that suits you.  Adios