Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uspsa - .45 Limited 10 Mags

lndshrk

Had the unpleasant news given after a template was applied to my Chip McCormick POWER 10 mags at the Area 7 Championship that they were not in compliance with USPSA size measurement rules. These are what have been recommended by many other more experienced IPSC shooters. Is Wilson the only other way to go that is rule compliant?

What did they say was the problem? For L-10, the rulebook in D8 says "No" for maximum mag length. For limited, D7 says "140mm/170mm when used in single stack guns" for maximum mag length. Using appendix F1 as a guide, I measured a CMC thingy to be about 5.775" or 146.7 mm. That is well within 170! (~6.7")

Did someone think that the mag was supposed to be 140 mm?

Something does not sound right!

Later,

Chuck

PS: a Wilson measures 6.039" or 153.4 mm. I used them at the 2003 A2 with no problems there!

At the chrono stage, they asked me to produce a magazine that they tried fitting into a metal gauge (template). Because of the rubber on the bottom, with a bullet loaded in the mag, it did not fit within the angles of the template. I was allowed to complete the match with the POWER 10's, but was warned that they were not up to spec. Still not sure exactly what was wrong.

At the chrono stage, they asked me to produce a magazine that they tried fitting into a metal gauge (template). Because of the rubber on the bottom, with a bullet loaded in the mag, it did not fit within the angles of the template. I was allowed to complete the match with the POWER 10's, but was warned that they were not up to spec. Still not sure exactly what was wrong.

I bet the template was a 140mm!

I would think you would be at a disadvantage if you shot Limited w/ a gun that only holds 10rds. By all means do it, but i just dont see the logic in it.

L-10 does not have a max length for its mags.

I didn't mean to shoot limited. I just pointed out that only limited had a length limit for single-stack mags which is 170.

Later,

PS: Robbie would still probably win, though <_<

I used those same mags to shoot limited 10 last year at Area 7. It was definitely a mistake. It was really hot in the chrono area, I can understand the lapse.

The concept of "Limited 10" pretty much takes care of any conceivable advantage longer mags may have, beyond being easier to seat with the use of a magwell.

What totally confused me was that I believed there was a mag length limit for Limited, but not for Limited 10 Division - This is from the rulebook:

US APPENDIX D8

Limited 10 Division

Special conditions:

16. Any complete handgun or components produced by a factory and available

to the general public for one year and 500 produced. Prototypes specifically

not allowed.

17. Only porting of barrels is prohibited. Slides may be ported.

18. External modifications such as weights, or devices to control or reduce

recoil are specifically not allowed, such as but not limited to, thumb rest,

extended slide stops, etc.

19. Internal modifications to improve accuracy, reliability and function are

allowed. E.g. spherical bushings, Acc-U-Rails, replacement barrels provided

the barrel length is the same as original factory standard.

1 Minimum power factor for Major 165

2 Minimum power factor for Minor 125

3 Minimum bullet weight No

4 Minimum bullet caliber / cartridge case length 9mm (0.354”) /

19mm (0.748”)

5 Minimum bullet caliber for Major 10mm (0.40”)

6 Minimum trigger pull (see Appendix F2) No

7 Maximum handgun size No

8 Maximum magazine length No

lndshark,

The person who told you this was completely wrong. The only limit is the # of rounds loaded in the mag when the beep goes off. Let's give him the benifit of the doubt here and say he was confused. If he was someone I know, I'd be a bit more critical.

There is no maximum magazine length for Limited 10. You can only have 10 rounds loaded in the magazine after the start signal, so it doesn't matter whether it's 140, 170, or 250 mm long. 10 is 10. And, it doesn't matter whether it's single stack or double stack.

Troy

Also, mags are not checked in the guage with a round in them. Someone was high.

I hope they (chrono-man and his assistant) are O.K. Maybe they had inhaled too much on the first 2 days and by the time you rolled in they were cooked.

Just about ready to put this whole thing behind me. I think it was a total mistake as they showed me the fit with a round in the mag, pretty strange. The whole match was a terrific learning experience, and and amazing experience also.

What I learned . . . make sure to chrono my ammo in the gun I'm actually going to shoot in the match, and have a rule book handy to demonstrate that mag length doesn't matter in Limited 10.

GOT IT!

Thanks!

Forgot one little thing, they seemed nice enough after they chronoed my Winchester White Box 185 .45 at minor out of my Kimber Compact . . . that was my fault.

I think you could have them shoot your ammo through a longer barrel gun if it

didn't make major in your compact.

At least that is how it was 15 years ago.

I don't think that allowance is made any more:

"5.6.3.1 Ammunition must be tested using the competitor's handgun."

The later sections of 5.6.3 that describe your options when ammo doesn't make declared PF don't include using guns with longer barrel length's.

HTH,

...Mark