Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Grip

Guninhand

Hi folks,

It's a litle late in the day to be asking this question, but it has to do with thumb placement when shooting revolver. The FAQs seem to deal with the semis only.

I read somewhere that for a right handed revolver shooter, the right thumb is crossed over the left thumb, and pointing forward, and the left thumb is up near the back of the topstrap (presumably not touching the frame).

Someone told me that he keeps both thumbs pointing forward as if he was shooting a semi. This is to get use to the one style of gripping.

Now I find if I grip the gun just a tiny bit lower (on a 610), my left thumb can touch the thumblatch (in a loose and relaxed way) and is poised for a faster reload.

Is there a consensus on the correct revolver grip? :huh:

Guninhand,

Jerry M overlaps his righthand thumb over his left like your first example....

I myself put the left thumb on the frame under the Cylinder like shooting an Autoloader (that is what I started shooting so I did not change the grip style)

It works for me, Might not for you.... something you should just try.

grips are a kind of personal thing experiment with the two basic styles and sooner or later you will come up with something that works for you.

Remember though, more pressure with the left hand than right to keep from too much tension in the trigger finger !!!!!!

Good luck!

hopalong

I myself put the left thumb on the frame under the Cylinder like shooting an Autoloader (that is what I started shooting so I did not change the grip style)

Ditto to what Hopalong said. I put it under the cylinder :)

Just curious (in case I ever get one of dem der round guns): any dangers/experiences of gas cutting/burning your thumb with it underneath the cylinder? Are you anywhere near the front of the cylinder?

I've never had problems with the gas blast from a revo. but I did screw up and put my left thumbnail behind the cylinder edge of a .454 once. I was trying to hold it like I would my 1911 w/ my left thumb in front of the right pointing downrange. Won't be making that mistake again.

I've never had problems with the gas blast from a revo. but I did screw up and put my left thumbnail behind the cylinder edge of a .454 once.  I was trying to hold it like I would my 1911 w/ my left thumb in front of the right pointing downrange.  Won't be making that mistake again.

I think with the magnum loaded cartridges you might have a gas cutting issue, but probably not with light loaded 38 Specials. I have used both grip styles and have settled on the crossed thumbs for now. I never got gas cut using the thumb along the frame method with my loads (all 38 Spl.), but my thumb sure got dirty where it crossed the front of the cylinder!!!

Ditto to what Hopalong said. I put it under the cylinder :)

Just curious (in case I ever get one of dem der round guns): any dangers/experiences of gas cutting/burning your thumb with it underneath the cylinder? Are you anywhere near the front of the cylinder?

Cullen, yeah I get some gas cutting, but that goes away after about a 1000 rounds ;)

Seriously, no, my thumbs don't get anywhere near that area, and I have huge hands. It's totally safe to shoot that way.

I'm right handed and I was taught to cross thumbs with the left one on top because half of what (little) revolver shooting I've done has been with single action pieces for which the left thumb is used to cock for the next shot without altering grip. If I were shooting double action only, I'd probably change grip style because I don't find crossed thumbs particularly comfortable or secure, though that may just be my auto grip familiarity showing.

I am a little different .... in the way I hold a gun too.

I actually ride my ride hand / thumb along the top of my left. My left thumb actually touches the back of the cylinder (guard) while resting over the cylinder release.

Works for me ..... well as good as I can anyway. ;)