Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wearing A Respirator At An Indoor Match

I really don't care about getting teased about fashion crimes, or being called a sissy.

I just tested at 26 for blood lead level and want to keep shooting indoors.

Would it freak anyone out ?

Would it be offensive ?

Would it start a new division ?

Your feedback appreciated.

Thank you !

Travis F.

PS.

this lead issue probably explains alot about my posts don't it ?

If you are going to wear a mask, be sure that it is designed to filter lead. Wearing a dust mask may only help you to look silly. A cartridge type respirator will interfere with your eye protection and limit your vision and mobility. Breathing will become difficult after just a short period of time also.

I think you need to talk to the guys who own the facility about how they are ventilating the range. If your only exposure to lead is at the indoor range then they are likely not in compliance with OSHA guidlines. When you're standing on the line, you should have a good breeze at your back. It's called a laminar airflow. It's designed to act like the wind at your back and carry all of the hazzardous materials downrange. If you don't feel or hear a slight wind tunnel effect, they are killing you slowly! Some places turn down the fans to conserve energy.

The guys at the range that I shoot at test around 5-10 for blood lead level. I've never seen them wear a respirator when they sweep up the floors at night and get all of the lead dust on the floor airbourne.

F*uck the mask...make them fix the range. It should be no more of a health hazzard than shooting outdoors!!

Buy a good respirator that fits properly and you will have no problems. I have worn respirators for extended periods and had no major issues other than minor discomfort. I would simply explain your situation to people, wear the respirator, and only enter the range to shoot, then watch from the other side of the bleachers.

The smart ones won't care and the stupid ones...well...who cares....

We have several people that wear masks at the indoor range I shoot at. I personally think it's a good idea. I don't shoot lead, so I don't wear one. When we have pin matches it can get quite smokey in there.

Ray

We used to do this back in England at the indoor range, lots of people did it. Also if lead is a concern then make sure that you limit the amount of exposed skin. The lead dust can get into pores quite easily, so I would stay away from shorts (or speedos for that matter :D ) and wear long sleeved shirts.

After shooting indoors I always jump in the shower as soon as possible afterwards and thoroughly wash everything (especially your hair) if you don't then that lead goes from your hair to your pillow and into your lungs all night.

After shooting indoors I always jump in the shower as soon as possible afterwards and thoroughly wash everything (especially your hair) if you don't then that lead goes from your hair to your pillow and into your lungs all night.

This is exactly how most of my exposure happened - helped a friend with a contract to qualify private investigators at an indoor range. Afterwards, we'd eat some dinner and I would go home to bed showering the next morning. Six months of this and my level was too high!

• 11 months later...

Do you reload? Lots of chances there for lead to get in your system too.

I have a high lead level, and I have all but stopped shooting indoors. The local indoor range has a really poor ventilation system.

My dad used to tell me all the iron in my blood must have turned to lead in my ass when it took too long for me to do something, I wonder if that is what is leaching into my bloodstream and shooting isn't doing it? :-)

Hey TBF. Hope all is well in KCK - I sure miss it. My short time in Canada at the indoor ranges there are quite a few guys that wear respirators so I'd say go for it if you like to shoot indoors a bunch.

Based on what I've read regarding the lead/indoor range issue, I suspect that a significant source of high lead levels is due to ingestion or from wiping the nose. I always wipe and wash my hands and shoes after shooting or handling spent cartidges now. I use D-Lead wipes and the soap. They seem to know what they are talking about and put forth a convincing case for their product.

[/url]http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1232[/url]

http://www.glassmart.com/d-lead.asp

Edited by Eager