Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Curious to know if anyone has switched from Steel Grip back to Plastic...

idHawk

I made the switch to a steel grip a few years back.  No regrets.  Last week however,  I was at the range with a buddy that has a similar Open Gun to mine, only his has a plastic grip compared to my steel grip.  I ran his pistol for a few practice runs and I was surprised and how much quicker the gun seemed to transition and how much faster the draw seemed.   The weight seemed much more noticeable than I had realized previously.   I really like the balance and perceived recoil management of my gun, but I'm pretty sure if I had to make the switch back to a plastic frame I could get used to it plenty fast.   This got me thinking... Have any of you made the switch back to plastic, or at least considered it?  

Pt steel grip on my limited gun.  Great grip fit great etc.

Never got used to it, never could duplicate drills on the timer etc.

Went back to my plastic grip.

Akai custom limited gun, A class fwiw

8 hours ago, idHawk said:

I made the switch to a steel grip a few years back.  No regrets.  Last week however,  I was at the range with a buddy that has a similar Open Gun to mine, only his has a plastic grip compared to my steel grip.  I ran his pistol for a few practice runs and I was surprised and how much quicker the gun seemed to transition and how much faster the draw seemed.   The weight seemed much more noticeable than I had realized previously.   I really like the balance and perceived recoil management of my gun, but I'm pretty sure if I had to make the switch back to a plastic frame I could get used to it plenty fast.   This got me thinking... Have any of you made the switch back to plastic, or at least considered it?  

What was the timer saying, was your times truly faster or was the gun just lighter?  Loving my evo grip, friend had same setup with plastic side by side I am loving the steel. 

8 hours ago, idHawk said:

4 hours ago, Acsr said:

What was the timer saying, was your times truly faster or was the gun just lighter?  Loving my evo grip, friend had same setup with plastic side by side I am loving the steel. 

I was definitely faster on the draw with the plastic grip and on the few runs that I had to compare with, it was a fairly even split with respect to times.   I'm not contemplating a switch back to plastic at this point, but I certainly liked the lighter weight of the plastic grip.  

Too funny. Caspian and Paras were deemed out of stye, and to heavy.... 2011 with light plastic grips ruled the day. Then they decided to improve them.... just like the heavy steel guns they replaced. ;)  Just sayin'

1 hour ago, sfinney said:

Too funny. Caspian and Paras were deemed out of stye, and to heavy.... 2011 with light plastic grips ruled the day. Then they decided to improve them.... just like the heavy steel guns they replaced. ;)  Just sayin'

My first gun was a 54oz Open Tactical Sports as I moved to lighter and lighter guns, the cool kids started adding weight to get their 2011s up to the weight of my TS!

I've been playing with different ideas for four years now, and I'm almost done with a 46oz TS Open gun with an aluminum comp and a 6" barrel, I think of it like a fencing foil: long and light!

I've been playing with different ideas for four years now, and I'm almost done with a 46oz TS Open gun with an aluminum comp and a 6" barrel, I think of it like a fencing foil: long and light!

46oz is light? [emoji6]

My gun weighs 39 with a steel comp.

On 3/24/2017 at 9:21 PM, sfinney said:

Honestly, the only reason we have steel grips today is because the Strayers didn't want to spend the 90K on new molds for the polymer grip.  Instead, they programed their 5 axis CNC machines to make them out of steel.  After the steel grips were the only option and SV shooters talked about how much they liked them, other builders started doing the same thing.  I wish SV would have kept the polymer grip as an option just to reduce weight for carry guns and lower the cost.

I made the switch back to plastic from the aluminum grips after cracking problems and actually like it again.  One thing I realized I missed is the reloads, the plastic grip is much more forgiving to poor reloads where the aluminum and steel is not.  I've heard more than one competitor say the same thing when the reload is slightly off the mag will partially jam and add time but this doesn't seem to happen with plastic.  Personally, I prefer the lighter grips.

Brandon does something to the inside of their grips that eliminates the binding that can occur when a mag isn't inserted perfectly.  Other than the weight, the most obvious difference to me, is the metal grips drop mags much more quickly than the polymer grips.

I'm trying the steel grips at the moment on my primary and backup. So far I like the weight. it acts effectively like a lever. For the muzzle to rise it must displace that weight in your hand. The trigger guard is basically the pivot point. so more weight in the grip 'should' tame the muzzle a bit. I have botched a few reloads badly where they just jam into the steel. I also feel like the grip is a little narrower side to side than would be ideal for my big hands but I'm going to give it at least 6 mths before I decide if I'll go back too plastic. my 2nd backup still wears a plastic grip with silicone carbide grip job but it's about to get a metal grip too so it matches the other 2 blasters. 

I think fit to your hand is probably more important than weight. Possibly:

Fit

grip

weight

So if the steel fits you ok and is grippy enough then you'll enjoy the weight. If it doesn't fit you right then shaping a plastic grip to suit may give better results. :)