Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

To Chrome Or Not To Chrome....

dirtypool40

Sorry couldn't reist.

I love my new Bedell Open gun and have given up on the prospect of a DR. sight.

I have about 2k through the gun. I will be coming home for business for a couple of weeks. Should I have it hard chromed while I am home?

Sorry couldn't reist.

I love my new Bedell Open gun and have given up on the prospect of a DR. sight.

I have about 2k through the gun.  I will be coming home for business for a couple of weeks.  Should I have it hard chromed while I am home?

IMHO, No.

If you *ever* decide to make a change to the gun, the chrome will make that a difficult/impossible/expensive proposition.

I hard-chromed my first custom gun (a Clark Custom Heavy Recoil Master), but since then everything is blued.

I like the look of NP3 and have had Black-t. Black-T is definitely NOt hard enough for IPSC guns. My Mall Ninja Supremo looks 10 years old after three months.

I probably won't make any changes to this gun, I don't have a clue in Open yet, but I want the gun better protected.

The down part is I only have a couple of weeks, so I will need QUICK turn around.

BTW; nice looking blaster Z.

Dirty,

Dan has just about got me talked into HC mine. He wants me to show off all the extra milling work he did for me. HC looks great when it's done right. Some people say it sucks (SV) and others swear by it. I see an aweful lot of HC guns so I don't think it is totally bad. Give Dan a call I know he can turn'em around pretty fast.

Oh and it's a Bedell gun so you don't have to worry about any major changes. :D

I would take the time [and a file] to round off all the sharp corners that don't contribute anything to the function of the gun, before having the gun chromed. Especially the back of the rails in the slide and all around the rails in the frame. Little places around the slide racker and slide dovetail too.

See if you can round off those "cubes" of steel on either side of the grip safety. They sting my hand every time I shoot someone's STI. See if you have about .003 to .005" clearance between the slide and the comp, some guns may need a 1degree angle on front of the slide. Dan probably did that already.

My old Caspian Hicap's chrome is still going strong after more than 9 years. Your heat & humidity in Bolivia might make it a really good investment.

Hard Chrome is without a doubt the way to go - but only after you've shot the heck out of the gun and make sure everything is the way it needs to be. Can't tell you how many chrome jobs I've broken through after discovering problems and/or making changes.

I heard from Dan, and he says he can do it in that time frame, so I figure that's the best way to go.

The gun runs great, and I have about 2k through it, not nearly "broken in" but I know it works. So long as that doesn't change the only things I will likely tinker with in the short term would be adding or taking out weight in the MS housing or guide rod.

The rest is 40k practice and getting my eyes back before the Nats next year.

Hard Chrome your investment! I agree that blued guns look nice (my 1911 carry guns in the Philippines were blued, except for the Glocks), but when you are looking at a competition gun, hard chroming it is a very wise choice.

My buddy Ray and I are of the opinion that IPSC guns are ALWAYS works in progress...so we not only avoid hardchrome, we usually don't finish the gun ever. This probably applies to all you guys out there who are inveterate tinkerers. We always want to tweak this or add that or try the hot new comp. Ray recently had to have the dustcover on his main open gun welded because it cracked and what should have been a fairly straightforward repair was complicated because he had a weak moment and had it hardchromed when he THOUGHT he had it perfect...after which of course he lightened the slide, recontoured the beavertail, changed scope mounts...I think you get my drift.

Nowadays we just cold blue the thing if we haven't anything better to do, (what, you reloaded enough ammo already?) and make sure to slop the rust preventive on the gun's skin between matches.

After all, you gonna admire it or shoot it?

A friend of mine had his SVI Titanium Nitrated. It doesn't add any thickness to the material and is at least on par with HC in the hardness dept. The cool thing about TiN is that you can choose to have black TiN (which is what my friend did and it looks awesome)