Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Worth the price difference?

90lxracer

I've been  readling.. researching.. basically nerding out on these guns.. BUT have never shot one to date..  I'm referring to the Elite Stock2 and the Stock 2 Xtreme

I've read the descriptions, BUT can the ES2 be modded and tuned for a total less than just buying the S2X? 

Or just buy a ES2 and a Witness Elite Limited in 40 and be in it for basically the same money.. lol

Even if you get the Xtreme, you are most likely going to do most of the same stuff anyway (springs, polish, firing pin, maybe a BOLO).
Take the price of a Titan hammer and the Xtreme trigger ($200 total, not sure what sights the extreme comes with, and if you like the grips...add that in there as well.) and subtract it from the difference in price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

"Tuned with a trigger job from Tanfoglio's Custom Shop - Straight Barrel with Polygonal Rifling; Full Length Dust Cover with Picatinny Rail for Tactical Lights or 
Laser Devices; Special Two-Toned Ceramic Coating; Ambidextrous Safety, Xtreme Aluminum Grips; Xtreme Hammer; Xtreme Guide Rod; Xtreme Firing Pin;
Xtreme Firing Pin Spring; Xtreme Hammer Spring; Fully Adjustable Supersight; Xtreme Front Sight with Fiber Optics; Custom Magazine Catch;
Large Slide Serrations for Ease in Operation; Certificate Signed by the Six Time World Champion, Eric Grauffel"

I guess this would constitute the "extras" on the xtreme. 

In my opinion the finish on the standard Stock II is better (Hard chromed) and you can definitely make the trigger as good as the extreme for less (Actually better) I have a total of less than $1200 in my stock II and i have a 6.5lbs DA/2.75 SA trigger that is incredibly smooth. BUT if you have literally no mechanical capabilities and a ton of money, i guess the extreme would be worth a look.

36 minutes ago, Garbo said:

In my opinion the finish on the standard Stock II is better (Hard chromed) and you can definitely make the trigger as good as the extreme for less (Actually better) I have a total of less than $1200 in my stock II and i have a 6.5lbs DA/2.75 SA trigger that is incredibly smooth. BUT if you have literally no mechanical capabilities and a ton of money, i guess the extreme would be worth a look.

This is what kind of info I'm looking for I think.... I'm not wiping my ass with $100's or anything, but I will spend the money on the best option. I do have some manner of mechanical inclination, and not really afraid of going into the gun to get things in order.. 

Garbo: I just looked at your location.. I'm in Northern VA maybe 1.5 hours from Harper's Ferry.. What kind of matches are in your area? 

Edited by 90lxracer

The generic common S2 with 50 bucks of springs and a couple hours polishing will exceed the Xreme trigger.

Add a 1 piece sear, bolo, titan hammer and a 2nd round of polishing.... it will be "wow" above the xtreme.

If a detail strip/  assembly doesn't make you quake in fear, then it's not worth it to go xtreme.

Fyi, many people prefer the dawson front sight with the smaller fiber.

People with large to XL gloves, prefer the Henning grip panels over the very thin Xtreme ones.

14 minutes ago, johnbu said:

The generic common S2 with 50 bucks of springs and a couple hours polishing will exceed the Xreme trigger.

Add a 1 piece sear, bolo, titan hammer and a 2nd round of polishing.... it will be "wow" above the xtreme.

If a detail strip/  assembly doesn't make you quake in fear, then it's not worth it to go xtreme.

Fyi, many people prefer the dawson front sight with the smaller fiber.

People with large to XL gloves, prefer the Henning grip panels over the very thin Xtreme ones.

I do have some big paws... it's look weird if I didn't I'm 6'4" .. lol  

I am gear nerding out a bit here.. I get it..

Help me out here a bit, and for fear of sounding like an idiot, but what's a bolo? 

About all I'd be wanting, and I would imagine I could find it here or at youtube university would be what I'm polishing.  I'm a gearhead at heart.. building an engine is more in my wheelhouse so to speak. But looking forward to getting into the internals of a gun like this.. 

BOLO is an upgraded disconnector.
Virtually eliminates take up in SA mode and helps DA pull as well.

For me, (XXL) hands, the grips are useless.
This is my first center fire semi-auto, and even with a pretty heavy hammer spring I'm right at #2.25 SA and #6 DA.
If I got an extreme, at the very least I would be changing the springs on the firing pin, sear, trigger return, probably hammer spring and recoil spring, add the BOLO, 1 piece sear, and some fatter grips.
Then do a full polish job.
But that is me.... YMMV.

8 hours ago, IronArcher said:

BOLO is an upgraded disconnector.
Virtually eliminates take up in SA mode and helps DA pull as well.

For me, (XXL) hands, the grips are useless.
This is my first center fire semi-auto, and even with a pretty heavy hammer spring I'm right at #2.25 SA and #6 DA.
If I got an extreme, at the very least I would be changing the springs on the firing pin, sear, trigger return, probably hammer spring and recoil spring, add the BOLO, 1 piece sear, and some fatter grips.
Then do a full polish job.
But that is me.... YMMV.

I have large hands too, what grips do you use now? thx

Edited by highhope

12 hours ago, johnbu said:

Yup, this is the best way to start IMO.  My first S2 is setup like this. Comparing my original S2 versus the new-to-me S2 which has a "trigger job", the only perceptible  different is smoothness in the pull.  I do not notice the difference on a stage, period.  It's sexy & cool to show off the ultra smooth trigger but the pull weights between the two are about the same (within ounces).

Follow John's advice to do a mild/first pass polish and shoot for a while. Look for wear marks and polish again. No need to spend the extra on an Extreme for USPSA.

I have large hands too, what grips do you use now? thx

Right now, I am running 1 SSI scale, and one Toni system palm swell.

They are all too small.
I also run 1 SSI scale and 1 Stock wood grip.

The wood grips are about as fat as you will find for the moment, but I also like a cutout to the mag release.

The Toni system grips are close to what I want, but they are virtually paper thin at the tops.

They are also for small frame guns, and need a bit of modifying to fit.

I'd run both Toni's, but the combination of paper thin up top, and the aforementioned modifying actually broke a chunk off LOL!!!

I prefer the hard chrome version. It’s harder wearing and looks better IMO.  The X parts can be easily fitted to a Standard Stock 2. Plus if you shoot USPSA you have the benefit of fitting the Patriot Defence optimised parts, which are better than the X parts anyway. However if you are like me and shoot IPSC you are limited to using the X parts 

21 hours ago, 90lxracer said:

This is what kind of info I'm looking for I think.... I'm not wiping my ass with $100's or anything, but I will spend the money on the best option. I do have some manner of mechanical inclination, and not really afraid of going into the gun to get things in order.. 

Garbo: I just looked at your location.. I'm in Northern VA maybe 1.5 hours from Harper's Ferry.. What kind of matches are in your area? 

Not many matches in my area. Idpa and steel challenge mostly (which I don't shoot) with the occasional super steel (pro am type steel shooting) that I will shoot when there is a match. (Also the only type of competition I have ever shot, hoping to attend my first uspsa match in March up in PA) and as an edit to my guns cost, that is including things like guide rod, grips, front sight etc. Its probably sub $150 in actual trigger improvement parts.

Example:

110 dollars in magazines 5Ea

120 dollars on base pads

46 dollars for the Bolo

106 Hennings upgrade kit

40 dollars various springs 

924 for the gun 

grips depends on preference 

All this for about 1350 and you will have 5 mags to work with which everyone forgets. 

The S2X comes with 4 mags and all that will have to be added to optimize is the Bolo. It is true you will have to polish certain parts to smooth out the trigger no matter the model you get. I opted to get two of the stock ones and fully optimize. 

BLUF: S2X is not worth the bang for the buck. Unless the ceramic coating is a must. 

18 hours ago, Earthpig said:

Example:

110 dollars in magazines 5Ea

120 dollars on base pads

46 dollars for the Bolo

106 Hennings upgrade kit

40 dollars various springs 

924 for the gun 

grips depends on preference 

All this for about 1350 and you will have 5 mags to work with which everyone forgets. 

The S2X comes with 4 mags and all that will have to be added to optimize is the Bolo. It is true you will have to polish certain parts to smooth out the trigger no matter the model you get. I opted to get two of the stock ones and fully optimize. 

BLUF: S2X is not worth the bang for the buck. Unless the ceramic coating is a must. 

You should be aware of this. 

https://www.cdnnsports.com/eaa-witness-large-frame-9mm-17rd-afc-magazine-oe.html?___SID=U

I would definitely say that if you're planning on doing the BOLO as well as the other trigger parts, I would go with a basic stock II. I think resale-wise this will be better too as it lowers the entry level price. Not sure if it's in your mind, but that's my thoughts.

1 hour ago, hav3n said:

Absoulutely the way to go.

Since MecGar is the manufacturer of the factory magazines, you're getting the exact same magazine without "K9" stamped into it for half the price. I've got 2,000 or so rounds through mine without any issues.

But if having K9 mags is important to you, there's a guyselling them for $20/ea in the BEnos classifieds.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Well.. I pulled the "pulled the trigger" ( sorry for the lame pun) in a completely different direction.. 

I decided to shoot limited.. which will most closely fall into the type of pistol I can use in 3 gun, and bought the witness elite limited yesterday. 

I would think the same rules apply for the work on it.. for the most part considering it's SA only. I still went with a 9mm for ammo reasons.. but again.. all the reasons to go with the regular over the xtreme with this gun held true.  Also, seemed like I can get this gun running well for far less than say an STI for the same division.