Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Draw-Back with Hornady Sizing-Decapping Die

harleyfan

I am having an issue with my Hornady re-sizing/de-capping die drawing primers back into the primer pocket. I have moved the de-capping pin as far down as I can and have also polished it. I am at a loss. Has anyone experienced this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? Running a Dillon XL-650 reloading 9mm, mixed brass. Should I just change to a different brand of die?

51 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

File the end of the point to what looks like a little pyramid and see how that works.  Problem is just primers gripping the end of the firing pin and being pulled partially back into the case.

The Dillon die (with the spring loaded pin) is a bit better but it still happens. Filing the tip to a wedge (or pyramid, but that sounds like too much work :)) works great. I haven't had a primer pull back since doing this a few years back.

1 hour ago, Steve RA said:

File the end of the point to what looks like a little pyramid and see how that works.  Problem is just primers gripping the end of the firing pin and being pulled partially back into the case.

This!

I agree with the above and had to do it to my pin (s) also.  However, why can't the manufactures have the pins made to that specification to begin with so that it will function properly out of the box?

Edited by mjohn

I agree with the above and had to do it to my pin (s) also.  However, why can't the manufactures have the pins made to that specification to begin with so that it will function properly out of the box?

That is kinda crazy!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I've never had to touch a lee de-primer pin on either their regular dies, u dies or universal decapper. And I've NEVER had a primer get pulled back into the case. That's many 10s of thousands of rounds. Mostly in 9 and 38 super. 

Ive heard of this happening a lot with Dillon dies though.

ive probably used 8 or more lee decappers/sizers and all worked 100% out of the box. :)

Sharpened my Dillon, never had a problem afterward.

I currently run a Lee with the hardened aftermarket pin (an awesome addition) untouched, without issues. I destroyed a few of the Lee pins with 22 cases stuck down in 9mm ones in my 650.

Edited by MemphisMechanic