Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 Barrel Worn Out?

Quick Miss

I have a Gen 3 G34 with at least 60k rounds through it.  Almost all of those rounds have been minor rounds.  I'm now starting to see about 10% or more of my rounds tumble when I haven't cleaned my barrel for a couple thousand rounds or so (a recent development).  - Never was a problem before.  When I clean it, they stop tumbling for a bit.  Before cleaning there isn't any noticeable buildup or burrs.  I would think it could be my reload, but my son shoots the same ammo and quantity I do, on the same cleaning interval, in his Gen 4 G34 without this issue.

Is it time to replace the barrel?  How can I tell if the barrel is worn out?

Thanks

OK, frankly, I've never heard of leaving a gun barrel THAT dirty for THAT long!  (But what do I know?)  A lot of different things could be causing your accuracy to decline; this is the internet; and there's a lot I don't know about you and your G-34; but, if you really want to determine whether or not your Glock's barrel is worn out after only 60,000 rounds, then, I suggest you do the only thing you really can do:  'slug' the barrel; and, then, use a caliper/micrometer to measure the slug.  (Brownell's sells the stuff you'll need.)   

An, 'in spec' 9 x 19mm Glock barrel should come in at, or about (within ±.0001") .356".  Personally, I'd expect that Glock to come in at something like, 00.3559".  If the measurement you get is +.356" then I'd say you might be looking at a new barrel.  

Edited by Arc Angel

I'm using 147's from Xtreme.  I did have a problem when I first switch from MG to Xtreme with tumbling because my crimp was too tight.  Fixed that after my first few 100 rounds.

Arc Angel - thanks for the info.  I shoot a minimum of 200 rounds a week with it being more like 400 in the summer... it is easy to get the round counts up quickly between cleanings.  Sometimes I clean after a couple of weeks, sometimes much longer.  After all, it is a Glock. 

You can't wear a Glock barrel out in 60K. Mine has over 200K on it and still dead nuts, But I clean the bore after each match. It's the last half inch on the muzzle end that controls accuracy. You answered your own question....

I'm now starting to see about 10% or more of my rounds tumble when I haven't cleaned my barrel for a couple thousand rounds or so (a recent development).  - Never was a problem before.

I clean more often, usually after each range outing, so I don't have direct experience with that type of duty cycle.

Todd Green was more relaxed on his cleaning cycle and put an awful lot of rounds through a G4 17 without tumbling. He didn't shoot a lot of 147s though. 

Odd for 10% of your rounds to tumble. When I had tumbling problems with an old revolver it was all or none. If some bullets tumble and some don't, I would tend to think it's the bullets and not the barrel. Are you testing this at a reasonable distance (50 feet or 25 yards)?

2 minutes ago, Quick Miss said:

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like it is the barrel.  The pic on the left is my original barrel. The one in the right is a newer barrel from my son's 34. 

IMG_3920.JPG

I would think that either you got a bad barrel to begin with or, more probable, your ammo fouled it up really bad --> so, back to your ammo being the cause of the problem. But it should be fixable, as you can clean the barrel, i.e., the barrel can be "fixed"

So OP, your G34 ran just fine with the MG's right? I think you can say it's not barrel problem.

I got a 5 thousand Xtremes as match product. Couldn't get them to group for shiite. Bayous are dead nuts out of all my G17s, OEM and hand fitted BarStos. Just as good as Montana Golds at half the price.

Edited by 9x45

Those are plated bullets aren't they?... from the pictures it looks like most are not tumbling...I'd side with those that think it's the bullets or possibly the crown?. Doubt it's the barrel or else I'd think they would all/mostly tumble????.....