Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Henning gear at Show Show

Tampa-XD45

On 1/20/2017 at 6:36 PM, Twinkie said:

I just got some of the nickel  plated grips and magwell. They are pimp! Very gold in color. I'll do a vid in a few days.

Do please share that video when you get it done : ) I'm dying over here.

Edited by Sniperboy

OH WOW!!!!   Thank you so much for the in depth review Candice.  Those grips look absolutely fantastic!  I called Henning about them and I was told that they were "nickel plated with a gold...ish hue" but despite my prodding Henning's shop would not confirm the color.  (is it gold. or is it not?)  Looking at the video it is just like what I had at my minds eye, and not camera tricks.  I appreciate you taking the time to make this video.

Speaking of gorgeous, your video is gorgeous too!  It touched on all the added value modifications candidly and thoroughly without any "down time or extra fluff", it was a pleasure to watch without any boring or slow spots at all.  Keep it up : ) I enjoyed it thoroughly.  My only complaint is that I liked the look of those silver slide lock and thumb safety controls - and now I think I have to get some for my Stock 2.

I agree. That was a pretty solid video. I certainly liked that you didn't dryfire it every twelve seconds, or spend the entire video showing us trigger pull and reset lengths...which is usually all a YouTube video like this focuses on.

"Listen to how loudly the reset clicks. Operator grade weapons system, right here." <eye roll>

(Next time, refer to it as a competitive weapons system?)

Edited by MemphisMechanic

@Sniperboy the grips are certainly golden in color. They may tarnish or otherwise dull but new they are a brilliant shiny gold. The silver controls seem to be hard chromed, not painted. I hope they keep their finish better than the blued ones on my other Tanfos. 

@MemphisMechanic I didn't measure the pull on camera, but it is right at 3lbs at the heaviest. I'm not satisfied and will be working on it this week to get it to 2# or less. 

I didn't go into very much detail in this video so I could have a series with more detailed focused discussion on specific aspects. My next one should be on the magwell and how it works, why you would want a Henning one, and some of the issues you might encounter when fitting it and how to fix them. I'm testing a fix I came up with for the magwell moving and won't be filming a video until I know for sure that I fixed it.

Spoiler alert: Tanfoglio has a serious problem in holding their guns to some kind of dimensional standard. That makes hand fitting necessary for most parts if you want the best results.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm glad my videos are useful.

54 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

What's up with Hennings site?  It looks like they are changing it and I can't find anything.

How do you guys like Hennings grips?

So far I like them the best of the Tanfo grips I've tried. The Grauffel were way too thin, factory are too fat and too fragile, and the scales were too uncomfortable and have no grip unless you wrap them in grip tape. I've been doing that but it's a pain. 

I've had people complain the Henning grips don't have enough meat at the upper portion of the grip for your support hand to lock onto. That's valid, and I personally seem to have a problem with any grips but factory where I push up on the slide stop and the gun locks back while I'm shooting. I'm a rare case, though.

I no longer have the Grauffel grips but I do plan on doing a roundup of the three grips I still have as a YouTube video in the next couple weeks. 

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Or checker them by hand with a file. I went that route and they're great, but someone on here was whining they're not pretty enough. :rolleyes:

Imagine how great they would be if there were no holes and the whole thing was checkered? That's what I'm getting at. There is no reason at all for there to be the cuts in the grips other than looks. The argument I have heard for the scales is that less grip surface = more grip. That's... I'm trying to find a nice way to say it.

Suboptimal. Yes, gaps are good so your hand can deform and so that friction is high. But when you basically take away most of the surface of the grips you go way too far. I tried them, I wanted to like them. I tried the fatter ones, tried to like them, but can't get past how bad the waffles feel in my hand. They are both slippery and painful. Slippery because theyou have a smooth finish and painful because I squeeze hard enough to push my skin into the holes. Then when the gun recoils the grips slide right out of my grasp. 

Sorry for the rant. It's practice for what I have to say in a future video.

You are right on about the scales Twinkie. I went to smooth Hennings with grip tape and they are about perfect. I want to try his checked grips now as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by SCTaylor

I really want some Loks. I have them on my CZ.  

I had Scales on it and really liked them except my finger tips hurt after awhile from smashing them into the waffles.  I think they should make a solid grip (not see through) with a shallow waffle pattern and checkered texture.  The shape of them was perfect on the CZ.

10 hours ago, LeviSS said:

I really want some Loks. I have them on my CZ.  

I had Scales on it and really liked them except my finger tips hurt after awhile from smashing them into the waffles.  I think they should make a solid grip (not see through) with a shallow waffle pattern and checkered texture.  The shape of them was perfect on the CZ.

+100. I will feel safer with that design.