Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

limited shotgun

spl K

First post,  here we go.  I have a new intrest in 3gun.     My question is whitch shotgun, what barrel, what barrel length, what choke, ect, ect? After I get my new shotgun what aftermarket options? what is a good allround shotshell?           THANKS spl K                      

Spl K

I don't think you will get a simple answer here, if you check any of the last posts you will see there is great debate over what is the best and the quickest.

I think in reality if you go for the top 4 being Winchester SX2, Remington 1100/1187, Benelli or Browning Gold then you are on the right track. There are pros and cons for each which are examined at depth in previous posts.

Best barrel length, sights, which choke, what ammunition, best accessories etc is also of debate.

I am a Remington fan and am happy with the reliability, functionability (sic) and availability of spares - I am probabily in a minority here but it works for me. I accept the limitations of my system and know what it can or can't do. I know parts will brake eventually but bits are cheap and I change them regularly (extractor etc) to prevent this happening in a comp. At the end of the day when all the guns are operating properly then there is not really much between.

I stick to a imp mod choke and the average barrel length in the US is 18 -22 inches. From what I understand this comes down to personnal preference.

The Remington system has good after market parts availability and the guns can come relatively cheap second hand. They are also about to bring out a 3 gun custom model 1100 which looks hot.

good luck

(Edited by mike45 at 8:00 pm on Feb. 8, 2003)

LIMITED CLASS GUNS: OK- here is the deal: 3gun shotguns come in 2 basic types: recoil operated like the Beneli and gas operated like the Winchester Super X2, Browning Gold (nearly same action as the Win) and Remington Practical or 1187/1100.  There are also those weird Turkish guns that were in Frontsite a while back (gas guns) and the Russian AK-47 shotgun called the Saiga in 12 and 20 gauge. Don't know of anyong using those last 2 in 3 gun.

Now, my opinions: 1) The Benelis and all recoil guns kick more and that slows me down. You like more recoil? Fine, choose a beneli. Can the top dogs win with Benelis? Yep. Are the recoil guns generally considered more reliable than gas guns? Yep. Do they sometimes jam? Yep. Cost as much as gas guns? Yep.  The up side is they have pistol grip stocks available and depending on your shooting style, that helps.

2)Winchester/Browning & most gas guns don't kick as much. Also my Super SX2 came from Winchester ready to rumble with every tricked out feature for USPSA limited class - nothing to buy but ammo. It has run well with a few hitches - do a search on my name here and you'll see my comments - it requires a simple break in. Search on the term "SX2" as well. No pistol grip stock available for these - yet. I'll be the first customer when there is. The Browning requires extra parts to buy- like a tube. Anyone make a Browning tube? I don't know.

3) The Remington practical is aimed at USPSA limited and Remington deserves a "thanks" for supporting our sport. Do the brand new Practical model guns win? Too soon to tell. Have tricked out 1100s won limited in the past? Sure, and they have a reputation for breaking parts if you shoot a lot. Want to do well? Shoot a lot - period. You won't learn if you do not shoot. The 1100 will also jam in stock form - I owned one and mine did and that is why I sold it. In the matches I have shot, I jhave seen them jam.  As for the standard model 1187/1100s out there , with enough extra parts and gunsmithing, they seem to shoot as well as my Winchester does and jam lass often than factory guns. Add up the cost of the parts/smithing for a standard 1187 versus the new Practical gun and you decide what works.  

I'll step back and let the other guys tell you what to use as far as ammo and other gear.  Just remember: LIMITED! That means NO porting, No optics, and NO speed loaders. Make sure your gun (if you buy used) does not have these features.

(Edited by Carlos at 2:52 am on Feb. 9, 2003)

I did a bunch of research on which shotgun to get for the 3Gun.

The previous post did a great job on pros and cons.

I went with a Benelli, M1 field with a 21 in barrel.  It came with 5 chokes.  I purchased a bolt handle and tube w/collar from Speed Shooters.  It has a vent rib & fiber optic front site.  I do not mind the recoil.  It is a light fast handling gun.  It has failed to cycle correctly when I limp shoulder it and using Walmart light load special.  I have also fired 9 rounds with .2-.3 splits with it.  I have no problem using slugs with the vent rib  out to about 70 yards.  It is a snap to clean.

I have friends that have both the Winchester Practicial and tricked out Remingtons.  They seem much heavier to me.  But they work just fine.

Briley makes the necessary stuff to trick out the Browning.

It may come down to 1) able to run out of the box or 2) buying aftermarket products to trick you gun out type of decision.

Stick with these four brands and you probably will do ok.  

Benelli M21 Field is my gun of choice.

As to an all-around shot shell, there isn't one.  It varies with what the stages present, i.e. steel, clays, or paper.  Those are the three variants we have.  I like tactical buck loads with reduced recoil for steel.  I like 7 1/2 for clays; 3 1/4 dram eq. for close and 3 3/4 dram eq. for distant.  For paper, we are required to use slugs only.  I like the Remington reduced-recoil slugs.

I did a lot of research, i went with a Remington 1100, i had 2 slight problems, 1 was when it went below 45 degreese the gun simply did not want to work. and 2, in practice i could double tap a steel target faster than the gun could be ready for teh 2nd round. doubel tap in a match ever.... not with that gun, but later did. to accelerate its activation of a clays thrower.

then i got a benelli M1 Super 90 and in my opinion its the cats meow of auto loading shotguns. 18.5" bbl 9 rounds loaded to start. no malfunctions. and i can't shoot faster than it.. did once but that was because i tried a lighter spring but went back to factory spring.

with this setup and ghost ring sights... its a multi purpose gun. house gun, IDPA side match/Tactical shoots, USPSA 3 gun, i can hunt with it, and shoot clays type sports some too.

most important thing no matter what your gun, Pattern your gun, sight it in for slugs too. then practice reloading like hell anyone can shoot a shotgun fast, its pretty simple, but the reloads seperate the top guns.

I've been shooting an 11-87 for some time now and the only malf I ever had was it doubled on me once. After that I say HAH! to anyone who says they need a faster shotgun.

Please describe the target array where the "faster" Benelli would have an adventage. I have never seen one.

I know the 11-87 kicks a lot less than the Benelli. To me, that means faster recovery and faster second shot.

Limited shotgunning is all about the reload. IMO, the 11-87/1100 with a DMW gate is easier to load than a Benelli. You can put a 9 or a 10 round mag tube on it and not have to worry about getting one on the follower.

After several years with a pair of 1100's I switched to the Benelli M1 Field. 21" vent rib bbl, fiber optic and 8 round tube that comes just to the end of the barrel. Shoots great with 1oz wall mart, Rem tacical slugs and everything else except 7/8 oz super speeds. After about 1500 rounds I'm still trying to figure out what these guys are talking about when they mention "too much recoil" or "kicks too hard".

For the money, there is nothing wrong with the Rems, most everybody I shoot with uses them, But one day I just had it with the cracked bolt, broken sheet metal parts and several broken tuning fork thingys. Cost me bigtime at the NC Tac 3-gun.

However, a GM just emailed me last week and told me the Browing Gold is the Ferrari of 3-gun shotguns and will be using it for all 3-gun in the future (he also has used an 1187 and a Benelli M1S90).

So there you have it. The right shotgun for 3-gun is about as personal as the right shoes for 3-gun. Hmmm, wonder if anybody started a thread for the right shoes under Equipment?

For what it's worth...

I have been shooting my remington 1187 for years now, and have been pretty happy with it. It runs well if I keep it clean. However, I recently decided to get another shotgun, and decided to get a Browning Gold Stalker and have it worked over by Briley. Well I got the shotgun back today. They had it for about five weeks. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, as I am in the middle of the Pittsburgh blizzard, but man, is it COOL! (No pun intended.)

I got the "Cooley" conversion package on it, and it is about as slick as a shotgun can get. I can see why all the things they do are recommended. For example, I had second thoughts about a shortened stock, as I am not a small person. But when I shouldered the gun today, I wondered why all my stocks aren't like this. It was perfect! I won't ramble on about the particulars (email me if you actually want to hear the details), but I can only hope that it shoots as good as it looks. I will try to post a pic soon.

-Deke

(Edited by deke at 6:43 pm on Feb. 18, 2003)

• 2 years later...

Blimey Norbs, I was a young man when this post first started ! :D and since then I have converted to a Gold fan ! Forget what I said about Remingtons .... :)

If you like the sound of the Cooley conversion, the newer breed is what Jerry is producing at RockingHTactical - he is AH6IP on this forum, why dont you give him a shout, he is Mr Browning Gold nowadays. His web site is www.rockinhtactical.com

The Benelli website only list the M1 Field shotgun with 24" or 26" barrels. Where do you find the gun with 21" barrel?

If you can figure out where to just get the 21" barrel, I'd like to know.

Hoodhazard, I got my M1 used for $600. Why buy new when you can get a good used one for aoubt what you would pay for a new 1100. It already had the extended mag tube(+7). It only has a 18.5" barrel. I can deal with that for now. I tend to build up things over time. I don't have a Ferrari budget! <_< TXAG