Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Suppressed SBR

Not sure this is the right place for this but ...

If you have a tax stamp for an SBR with suppressor can you legally take off the suppressor and shoot it since you've now changed it's configuration?

Edited by Nimitz
You have one stamp with 2 nfa items listed on it? I didn't realize that was possible. 

Because it isn't.

The SBR and the suppressor are each their own tax stamp. You can set the SBR up however you want. Suppressor, no suppressor, muzzle brake, 12" suppressor, it doesn't matter.
12 minutes ago, Nathanb said:

Unless it's an internally suppressed or permanently attached can you have two stamps in that config. Those make your question null and void though. 

THIS.

A "one stamp" configuration is where the suppressor is permanently attached to the barrel to make the overall barrel length >16"... you only need a stamp/paperwork for the suppressor because the rifle is not an SBR. If you then remove the suppressor (presumably by machining it off), then you have made a new SBR and need a separate stamp/paperwork.

If the suppressor is removable without machining, then it is not permanently attached and so both rifle and suppressor need their own respective stamp/paperwork. If this is what you have, then the suppressor can be added and removed at will (at least by law - probably not allowed under match rules, but I don't think this is your question).

The easy option if you only want one stamp and a removable suppressor is to permanently attach the suppressor mounting device on a 14.5" barrel to get to 16" overall. I did this for my son (Surefire brake). It works well, only one stamp, removable suppressor and BONUS extra velocity. Still pretty handy.

Edited by StealthyBlagga
9 hours ago, StealthyBlagga said:

THIS.

A "one stamp" configuration is where the suppressor is permanently attached to the barrel to make the overall barrel length >16"... you only need a stamp/paperwork for the suppressor because the rifle is not an SBR. If you then remove the suppressor (presumably by machining it off), then you have made a new SBR and need a separate stamp/paperwork.

If the suppressor is removable without machining, then it is not permanently attached and so both rifle and suppressor need their own respective stamp/paperwork. If this is what you have, then the suppressor can be added and removed at will (at least by law - probably not allowed under match rules, but I don't think this is your question).

The easy option if you only want one stamp and a removable suppressor is to permanently attach the suppressor mounting device on a 14.5" barrel to get to 16" overall. I did this for my son (Surefire brake). It works well, only one stamp, removable suppressor and BONUS extra velocity. Still pretty handy.

Thx, you answered my question ...