Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mystery Mountain 3 Gun

Anybody going to the Mystery Mountain 3 gun in Mesa, AZ on March 8-10?  Brian?  TGO?  Buehler?

While I am totally biased as I've helped design some stages and am a member of Rio Salado, I think it is the best 3 gun match in the country.  I like the 3 gun nationals and SOF (particularly the last one at Raton), but Myst Mtn is the shit!  Plus it has the best prize table BY FAR!!  Thanks to Dan Furbee, match director par excellence!

Check azgunning.com for an application.

• 3 weeks later...

Open class:

1)Mike "The Prez" Voigt (surprise, surprise, surprise)

2)Don Bednorz

3)Jake "the Snake" Kempton

4)Jerry Miculek

5) Bruce Piatt

Tactical class

1) Taran Butler

2) Bennie Cooley

3) don't remember but I'll find out

4) Kurt Miller

5)  Eric Miller

6) Todd Salmon

It was a good match.  Challenging stages.  Rifle shots from 0 to 340 meters (the way God intended).  No standards, all the stages were scenario based.  One based on a hostage-takeover on a plane, one based on a shot down helicopter, one fun house, two stages based on gold mining (Treasure of the Sierra Madre on speed).  Lots of multi-gun stages where you had to use more than one gun.

There was controversy on stage 2.  Stage 2 was designed to be shot with all 3 guns. Most of the super

squad shot it with rifle and pistol only, and chose to not employ the shotgun.  This may have saved a little time (but not much as Tim Milkovich and I shot it with all 3 and our times were comparable).  Shooting the stage with 2 guns seemed to defy the stage description but several members of the super squad got approval from the ROs before shooting with 2 guns only.  Several people protested but the stage was left in.  I think it was much ado about nothing, there was little advantage to the 2 gun approach particularly in tactical class.

I think it was some team from Colorado that won the team shoot.  Of course, a Colorado boy also blew a hole in our props with shotgun on the team shoot as well!  I think a win and a DQ balance each other out.

• 7 months later...

Well, shjt.

OK, so if I need new <cough> tactical mag pouches, how many for the pistol? Will a Safariland M16 magazine holder suffice? (It doesn't cover a lot of the 30 rounders.)

My Limited upper has a High Power Match Rifle type globe front sight out by the muzzle and a Yankee Hill rear. Verboten? I can use a Colt 6700 upper (basic 20" A3 detachable handle) if I have to. Don't tell me a narrow front post and smaller rear aperture aren't OK.

narrow front sights and different apetures are ok.  I think highpower style sights are ok as well.  Todd Salmon used them this year in  limited.  be sure to check the rules that they send you once you apply.  3gungear.com has all the cool tactical mag pouches etc.

Thread drift alert!  Mike Voight told me that the 3 gun nationals will probably be in Pasa, IL near the end of June.

• 3 months later...

I may be able to make it to the MM3G after all. I have never been to a "big" 3-gun match before and I want to avoid being surprised by some rule I haven't heard of. I have read everything I can find here but still have some questions.

Is there any equipment I might bring that would be dis-allowed?

I will be shooting Open. My pistol is a usual open-class Infinity .38 Super, C-more, and Safariland holster and belt. My Rifle is an AR with a scope, comp, bi-pod, and Redi-mag. Benelli Practical Model shotgun with a holosight and speedloaders.

Also, the rules I read state that each target must have a minimum of 1 A hit. Do most shooters only shoot once at  the targets?

Is there anywhere on the  web I might find some stages that might give me an idea what to expect from this match?

How many mags/speedloaders will I need to carry on me?

Thanks in advance.

RD

Most shooters go for the two hits to neutralize instead of one A.  It depends on you and how well you can call your shots under pressure.

Your equipment sounds just fine.

Stages are not posted on the internet.  Expect a lot of multigun stages.  I understand the farthest rifle shot will be about 250 yards.  There will be a house clearing stage with the rifle.

I usually carry two extra rifle magazines, sometimes 3.  As for speedloaders that totally depends on the stage but I'd bring at least 4, maybe 6 to the match.

Good luck!