Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bar Sto Pistols?

fishnfst

If it is an STI copy why even bother messing around with it?  I have an Edge and I am sure that it is as nice or nicer that the barsto copy.  Hell if it is just an STI copy why dont you save some money and buy an SPS and put a barsto barrel in it.

Because some of us live in CA where the state has a list of approved pistols we are allowed to buy. STI gave up on submitting pistols for approval so STI's are not available here. Thank GOD for Bob and Barstow for building a gun and going through the state hassel!

Forgot about that! Man that sucks, California blows!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob,

Great looking pistol. I think I'll have to get one, just on the principle of supporting you and a California firearms company, that has supported our sport...I think close to forever, and just on general principles.

As for California blowin'....Michigan is so much better? FWIW, John Kerry, won both of these states in 2004, by about the same percentage. Since the "blowin'" swings from the left, I'd say it's a draw.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

Are these new California series limited guns going to come out as a package deal all ready built up or as individual custom guns?

Could you give us a few details of what options the buyer will have in terms of sights, mag wells, trigger, or other parts. Also can one have the barrel, slide or frame fluted or ported in any way?

Thanks for your time and efforts to keep us shooters in Kalifornia happy.

JS

Anyone hear anything about bar sto coming out with a double stack pistol???

I was perusing another forum and found a post stating that bar sto was going to be coming out with a double stack 1911 pistol that would be submitted for CA approval???

Any and all info would be much appreciated....

By law, the California guns must be a package and must be the package that was approved by the state. Our package is as follows......

S/S full, wide dust cover and matching slide

Bomar rear sight

.105" wide dovetailed front sight

Bar Sto fitted ramped bull barrel

C&S hammer/sear/disconnector

Ambi safeties

Memory bump beavertail

S/S guide rod

EGW style magwell

Black finish w/ the sides of the slides polished in natural S/S.

The guns are holding about 1.5" at 25 yards with Winchester factory ammo. They are 100% reliabile with factory length ammo as well as handload's loaded longer.

Once you own them you can modify them anyway you like, but you must own them first..........

Certification testing is scheduled for this coming Friday.

Bob,

You would be able to get the facts on MA gun laws from www.goal.org (Gun Owners Action League). They have a hotline and can answer most questions concerning firearms in MA. There also may be some info about the issue at www.fsguns.com, under the section "Guns you can't buy in MA".

I know a lot of us would buy some if they were compliant.

Steve

If you live outside of California you can have it in any finish you want. These are not production line guns, they are hand built one at a time.

hksniperman, yes the California guns are a variation on the Kimber finish.

Anthony, not sure what a 'shake and bake' finish is but if you are referring to a spray on finish like Wilson uses, they are not. It is a chemical finish something along the lines of blueing, but designed for stainless. It wears very well and can be had in either matt or gloss.

Bob,

You would be able to get the facts on MA gun laws from www.goal.org (Gun Owners Action League). They have a hotline and can answer most questions concerning firearms in MA. There also may be some info about the issue at www.fsguns.com, under the section "Guns you can't buy in MA".

I know a lot of us would buy some if they were compliant.

Steve

I'll save you the call to GOAL and give you a quick overview. If you do call GOAL, ask to talk to Jon Green and tell him I sent you.

There are two steps to making a handgun sellable via dealers in MA:

#1: You need to get on the Executive Office of Public Safety (EOPS) approved list, a copy of which may be viewed at http://www.mass.gov/Eeops/docs/chsb/firear...er_jul_2005.doc

(Yes, the state of Massachusetts actually posts ".doc" files - yikes!!!)

In order to get on this list, 5 samples have to dropped onto concrete from 3 feet or so without a discharge of a primed case loaded in the chamber. This must be done by an independent lab, and the results submitted to the Massachsetts Gun Control Advisory Control Board which will make a recommentation to the EOPS. These recommendations are generally approved. Unlike CA, you do not have to surrender one of the test weapons to the crown nor do you have to pay an annual certification fee. There is a CMR (Mass regulation) which establishes that a larger caliber also includes smaller calibers.

#2: You need to convince a dealer that the gun conforms to the AG consumer protection requirements as enumerated in 940 CMR 16.00, viewable at http://www.goal.org/misc/faq/regulations.html

There is no published list of which guns comply with these consumer protection requirements, and the Attorney General's office has consistently refused to answer any questions as to which guns comply. They tell you to read the regulations or seek private legal counsel. The regulations are incredibly vague, using undefined terms such as "average five year old." Naturally, the AG will be glad to inform the dealer as to his interpretation of the regulations when assessing civil plenaties under the consumer protection statutes.

For example, Glocks went on sale for a few weeks after Glock added a bump on the extractor to serve as a loaded chamber indicator (they already had the lab certification required in step #1). Several weeks later, the AG decided that this was not a "a device which plainly indicates that a cartridge is in the firing chamber within the handgun" (one requirement for non-target guns) and pressured Glock to recall the guns. They did not go after individual dealers for penalties, but the dealers had to play along and notify customers of the recall and keep their mouths shut about the fact that the customer was under absolutely no legal obligation to return the gun for a refund.

The way the law is worded, the only entity that can violate it is a holder of a Massachsuetts license to sell firearms so the customers are in the clear - it's the dealer which has to worry.

Violation of #1 is a criminal offense; violation of #2 is a civil offense of an "unfair and deceptive trade practice" witha $5,000 per gun civil penalty.

Since the definition of #2 is vague, each dealer must make their own decision as to which guns comply.

None of this applies to private sales; people moving into state; or people acquiring guns by inheritance (one case where interstate aquisition does not require use of an FFL). The going rate for a Glock 27 or a latest generation .357Sig Glock is $699 in this state - USED!!!

Edited by Rob Boudrie