Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ p 09 USPSA set up

TheChef1

So after shooting uspsa for a little bit now I decided that I wanted to make the with from my M&P to a P09. My reason for doing this mainly was that I wanted to get back to production and I just didn't like the M&P trigger enough with the factory shoe. I have pro 5in with the apex flat and some other goodies and its great but slightly unreliable and put me in limited minor. So I picked up a p09 so I could jump back into production where 9mm is not a handicap.

I picked up a used FDE p09 for 480 which I thought was a fair deal. Not great but fair. I shot it once and like many others realized the trigger needed some work and I just don't shoot any non FO sights as well as FO so that switch had to be made. I called up CJW and he got me in the right direction. I went with the pro kit, stainless guide rod and a pair of Dawson sights and off to work I went.

The kit came in before the sights so I started there. The kit went in pretty easy and while I had everything apart I polished everything as per the thread CJW has here. Like many on here I can't say enough about the CJW parts they are kinda pricey but worth the money especially for any competition use. the trigger was 4.5 in SA and didn't even read on my wheeler scale in DA so definelty over 10. Now its sitting at 2.5 SA and 7.5 DA on the wheeler scale. Im running the 18lb hammer spring and yellow sear spring. Im very happy with the results although Id like to see about getting the DA a little lower.

When I opened the Stainless CJW I Realized it looked exactly like the tungsten one in my M&P. sure enough side by side the length is identical to the 5in pro m&P guide rod. since the tungsten rod is much heavier I decided to give that a shot. I also used the recoil spring from my M&P's I have multiple but decided to start right at the bottom with the 11lb. Fit was perfect and it gave the gun some nice weight up front. My slide would not go home when I inserted a mag which I loved in my M&P because I'm left. I decided to take the slide lock out and give it a good polish and easy the corners just a little bit. I went from being able to do it with 10 rounds in the mag 0% of the time to about 70% I'm going to give it some time and see if it wears in on its own if not Ill take a little more off the slide lock to get it to drop more reliable. Being a lefty this is a pretty big time saver when you're on the clock.

Next up was the sights I went with dawson .155x.100 fronts and .205x.140 rear. I went this route vs the ones on the CJW site because I wanted a slightly larger rear notch. Im also very happy with the sights. This is my first set of dawsons and I see why they are so popular. The stock front and rear sight were super tight and I completely destroyed the front getting it off. 

The P09 has some pretty good texture already but Im a huge fan like many others of the skate tape. I think Talon is over priced so I usually just cut my own I did pretty much the whole grip as well as a few strips on the back strap and this gun feels like home now in my hand. I previously thought the M&P had the best ergos but ill take the CZ any day now. I really like how its nice and flat on the sides but has a nice palm swell with the large back strap in the back.

Since you can't compete without a holster that project was next. I made a comp holster mimicking my Double Alpha and used the same hardware so I could mount it to my belt. This was only my second one and I thin it came out pretty good.

I was able to get out and shoot about 150 rounds though it yesterday and so far I'm happy. It ate everything with no issues Including 50 TULA and the recoil with the 11lb spring is very light. accuracy seemed good although I may need to knock the rear sight just a bit as I seemed to be a little right. I just made a quick trip out to the dessert since I only had a little bit of time and I forgot to bring a target to I rigged something up with a little paper and sharpie. It was pretty ghetto so I'm going to wait until I have a proper target before I make changes. 

Im looking forward to the first match but I have a couple weeks until then. Im thinking I may get a lighter hammer spring and see if I can get the DA pull better and still light off factory ammo. I think after some time ill end up liking these over my M&P's but only time will tell. after the gun CJW parts, sights, mags and holster material I'm into the gun about 875 which isn't really cheap but now to bad either. I intend to get either a shadow or stock 2 pretty soon so this will be a perfect backup gun.

The first time I shot the gun I found that the rough bottom of the decocoker was jamming into my hand when I shot the gun making it pretty unpleasant. I took my dremel with a felt polishing wheel and went over both bottom side of the decocekr and it made a huge difference. I did take off some material but more than anything I got it super smooth and after shooting it the second time I didn't notice it at all. 

I also chopped the lanyard loop off to make sure it didn't get in the way of reloads and Beveled and smoothed out the magwell which I found helps quite a bit getting the mags in smoothly for a faster reload. 

Just thought Id share my experience so far ill be sure to try to keep the thread updated if anyone cares. 
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/923/ezbe3x.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/atZtxm.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/bPvpv0.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/924/QTIKFo.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/lEW15R.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/924/OUWxHu.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/924/2yqcKL.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/hbmgpD.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/921/UjibPF.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/924/GEs2gz.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/922/qVzeDI.jpg

Edited by TheChef1

I'm also between the shadow 1, shadow 2 and stock 2 for my next purchase as I stated in the post I really like the way the p09 with large strap fits my hand. I have held a stock 2 and  stock 3 I thought the stock 2 fit perfect the stock 3 was just to bulky overall. I havet been able to find any shadows around to hold. Does anyone know how it compares to the p09 with large strap as far as feel?

57 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

The first time I shot the gun I found that the rough bottom of the decocoker was jamming into my hand when I shot the gun making it pretty unpleasant. I took my dremel with a felt polishing wheel and went over both bottom side of the decocekr and it made a huge difference. I did take off some material but more than anything I got it super smooth and after shooting it the second time I didn't notice it at all. 

I also chopped the lanyard loop off to make sure it didn't get in the way of reloads and Beveled and smoothed out the magwell which I found helps quite a bit getting the mags in smoothly for a faster reload. 

Those are both externally visible modifications that make the gun ineligible for Production division. 

Fortunately you can order both replacement parts easily enough.

The bottom of the decocker dug into my strong hand (right) as well.  I popped it off and snapped on the right side safety lever instead.  It has a much lower profile with not as much material on the bottom.  Since it is on the right side, it doesn't affect the function of the decocker and is an oem unaltered part.   

You can use the P-07 Hammer Spring Plug which does not have the lanyard loop, but you need to play with the springs as they compress the HS differently than the P-09 HS Plug.  Do a search as I did all of the testing for you with virtually every different combination and corresponding trigger pull weight

6 hours ago, zhunter said:

You can use the P-07 Hammer Spring Plug which does not have the lanyard loop, but you need to play with the springs as they compress the HS differently than the P-09 HS Plug.  Do a search as I did all of the testing for you with virtually every different combination and corresponding trigger pull weight

I did see the thread where someone did that. I'm just going to clean it up really good so it looks factory. Like I said no one at my matches is checking or would care.

On 12/24/2016 at 11:44 AM, Honeybooboo said:

That seems like a super light recoil spring. CGW days not to go below 15lbs on the p09. 

I shot about 150 rounds through it and it functioned flawless and had a great recoil impulse. I tried the 13 also but liked the 11 more. I'll stick with it unless I see problems.

On 12/24/2016 at 10:09 PM, selecw said:

Why did you remove the lanyard loop? I would have expected it to be a useful index point, and its behind the magwell anyway...

Yes like PRanta said you can hit your hand. But more so it's just something for the mag to hit and get caught up on when loading. I'm not sure what kind of index point it would be?

I seem to have caught the cz bug. I found a deal on a cajunized sp 01 with and kadet 2 that I couldn't pass up.

3 hours ago, joeg said:

I use the extended firing pin/spring (CGW) and 11.5 lb hammer spring.  Makes a big difference in DA pull and seems to affect SA pull slightly.   

What kind of Ammo do you run? I have the 18 pound spring in there now. So far it popped everything but the DA pull is still pretty heavy. I want to try a lighter spring maybe a 13? I just want to know it's going to shoot everything.

3 hours ago, aceinyerface said:

Once I put a little skateboard tape on the grip (what are firearm companies thinking, putting slick areas on grips???) my P09 was shooting neck and neck with my Stock 2. 

I'm Impressed.

After I put skate tape on one gun it goes on all of them. It's crazy the difference it makes.

I ran 11.5 hammer spring for about 100rds to test.  it ran all the ammo except 1 round....my guess is bad primer.  Switched back to 13#.    Ive settled on a 13# hammer spring with 1 coil cut off.  Works WELL!  Have you tried bending the trigger bar support spring....that helps tremondously with DA pull.    Im still using the stock recoil  spring with 3.0grs titegroup 147gr 9mm.  it does hold the gun(slide)open most of the time.  I am thinking about changing to a 18# spring at some point.

Edited by joeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 3:06 PM, TheChef1 said:

I only shoot local matches right now no one will notice. Especially the decocker it looks completely factory. But yeah my thought process in altering them is they can be changed again no problem.

Don't understand what a local match has to do with the rule for external modifications.  There is nothing in the Production appendix nor NROI rulings saying there is an exemption to the external modifications for a local match.

4 hours ago, GeneBray said:

Don't understand what a local match has to do with the rule for external modifications.  There is nothing in the Production appendix nor NROI rulings saying there is an exemption to the external modifications for a local match.

Its a lenient club theres a lot of pretty new shooters myself included people are there for fun and to get better. Its a cool group of guys that wouldn't get their panties in a bunch about a small thing like that.

Edited by TheChef1

9 minutes ago, TheChef1 said:

Its a lenient club theres a lot of pretty new shooters myself included people are there for fun and to get better. Its a cool group of guys that wouldn't get their panties in a bunch about a small thing like that.

A jerk response to that would be , "so, they are all cheaters." But since I'm not a jerk I'll just say if they advertise as a USPSA match they must follow the rules. All of them. 

And eluding to getting panties in a bunch for following the rules in a sanctioned match is a sure way to get ignored here. 

If you want to run an illegal gun in Production at your "lenient" club that's your business. But don't try it at a "real" match. You'll get caught eventually.

Knowingly violating the rules is indeed cheating though. Sure they are small mods that might not get noticed, but as I always say,"who would know? YOU would know".

On January 6, 2017 at 0:04 PM, Sarge said:

A jerk response to that would be , "so, they are all cheaters." But since I'm not a jerk I'll just say if they advertise as a USPSA match they must follow the rules. All of them. 

And eluding to getting panties in a bunch for following the rules in a sanctioned match is a sure way to get ignored here. 

If you want to run an illegal gun in Production at your "lenient" club that's your business. But don't try it at a "real" match. You'll get caught eventually.

Knowingly violating the rules is indeed cheating though. Sure they are small mods that might not get noticed, but as I always say,"who would know? YOU would know".

Well its all a non issue now because I bought a sp-01 tactical with cajun mods for USPSA and the p-09 will get another role. 

Edited by TheChef1

The decocker and safety are factory parts that are included from the factory.  Although the decocker is factory installed, I do not see how replacing it with the safety is in violation of the rules.  When in doubt shoot an email to DRNOI for clarification.