Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Same load for pistol and PCC?

I made several different loads and determined which loads were the best in the pistol and the best in the pcc. Then I settled on a load in the middle. for example if 3.4gr are best in pistol and 3.6gr are best in pcc then i did 3.5 for both. I personally will sacrifice the best load of each for a really good load for both. I don't have to worry about mixing them or forgetting which is which or running out of one. Im very happy having one central load

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I was hoping to run  the same exact load for PCC as i do in my 9mm minor pistols.  After doing some load development it became clear that the two platforms (at least in my case as I use a 16" PCC) are just too different.  I can use my 129-ish pf pistol loads but those run about 147-ish pf out of the  PCC.  As a reference, winchester white box is close to major out of my 16" PCC at 160pf.  Basically, with all my loads from 115-160 gr bullets I am getting 16-20 pf points over my pistol. 

So, I what have settled on is using the same OAL and bullet, but different powder weights to get the PCC down to the 130pf range.  For me, using a 130 vs. 150 pf load makes a big difference in how the PCC handles.  So, I was ignorant going into the PCC arena and had the same desires as you to use the same ammo, but after messing with it realized there is a substantial difference with a 16" gun and changed my plan. 

You can use the same load, but you should also try loading down for the PCC to see if helps you.  (also, if you are using a SBR that might change that equation).

Good Luck!

Edited by Bamboo

Hello: As stated above I would have two loads or use two different bullet weights. If you use 147's for Production then use 124's for your PCC. Use the same powder drop for both and overall length. You could even use Federal primers for your Production pistol and Winchesters for your PCC. Your best option will be two loads if you want the best setup for both guns. Thanks, Eric

5 hours ago, Bob Hostetter said:

I just use either factory 115 FMJ or factory 124 FMJ.

Ditto. While I can reload 9mm I don't, so I find most Federal ammo is good to go in both the PCC and my Glocks. Since I don't shoot regular USPSA anymore due to knee issues I don't have to worry about power factors in steel matches.

I load up a load just for my AR9 14.5" barrel.  Heavy bullets with very fast powder.  My load :  147 Blue bullet,  2.5gn N310 powder, @ 1.150 = 896 fps, ES of 9 & SD of 6  132 PF

I also tune the buffer(lighter) & spring(85% AR15)

Shoots soft with little dot movement.