Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory 147's for Glock with Reduced Striker Spring?

Religious Shooter

I've always reloaded my own but I would go with (or think) federal American eagle. 

Ive always liked it in .45 and 9mm.  

I use Federal primers for my reloads.  Softest primer out here!

Edited by B_RAD

I've shot thousands of reloads with federalprimers in my Glock with reduced striker spring. 

Federal primers are the softest. I would think there factory ammo uses same primer. 

I would suggest buying some and trying them. 

This really is not a question for an internet forum. If you want to use a reduced force striker spring, buy some ammo and test it. The very fact that you asked means you do not really believe in the spring. Test it out. The only answer that matters is what your gun does, but if it won't work with CCI primers you need to get another spring.

22 minutes ago, Brooke said:

This really is not a question for an internet forum. If you want to use a reduced force striker spring, buy some ammo and test it. The very fact that you asked means you do not really believe in the spring. Test it out. The only answer that matters is what your gun does, but if it won't work with CCI primers you need to get another spring.

Ridiculous. This is absolutely a question for an internet forum, plenty of people have and use the same part he's asking about. And its not a "go try it yourself for the feel" thing, the strength of certain brands primers is pretty consistent and the rating on the spring is even more so.

And some people set their guns up to use very specific components, and those guns would fail if forced to use another type as an alternative. That doesn't mean he needs to get another part just because it doesn't work with one particular brand.

The answer that matters here is the one he's looking for, and you obviously have no idea what it is nor any other useful or sensible advice to provide.

To the original poster, the information you're looking for is readily available on the forums, search for queries like "primer hardness rating", "primer hardness comparison", etc.

Generally, Federals are considered to be the softest by far, CCI is one of the harder ones, so if you're considering CCI or Federal ammo in bulk, get the Federal to prevent light strikes.

For actually examples, you'll need to specify what spring rate your Wolff is, they make several different reduced power ones.  You're also going to have other issues if the striker spring is the only part you're changing, as there are other factors involved.  (striker weight, RSA spring, etc)

Edited by JimmyBob

21 hours ago, Religious Shooter said:

I want to buy some factory ammo.  Prefer 147's.  Have G34/35's using the Wolff reduced power striker spring.

What ammo brand have you found to be 100% with reduced power springs?

Looking at the CCI Blazer 147's.  But I would think it uses hard CCI primers.

Which Wolff Reduced Power Striker Spring ?  5.0  -  4.5  -  4.0  ?

i use  a   reduced  power  striker  spring (ZEV)  in all my  limited  glocks. while i  have  no  troubles  with  winchester primers and   light strikes    , CCI  primers  are  no  go  because  too hard and  the  reduced  striker  spring don't like  them ; ,   i  use  federal primers in my reloads  to  avoid  any ignition gremlins ,    

Thanks for all your replies. 

But what I am basically looking for is input from those two bought 300...500...1000+ (or whatever) factory loaded rounds and shot them through their Glock with Wolff reduced power springs.  What was your result in terms of reliability?  What brand/make was the ammo?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Religious Shooter said:

Thanks for all your replies. 

But what I am basically looking for is input from those two bought 300...500...1000+ (or whatever) factory loaded rounds and shot them through their Glock with Wolff reduced power springs.  What was your result in terms of reliability?  What brand/make was the ammo?

Thanks.

You really need to go buy a box of what you're wanting to shoot. Try them, if they work 100%, then buy a couple. After you're confident, buy in bulk.  If they don't work, try something from federal and repeat.  

Regardless of what has worked for us, you still need preform your own trial and error process for your gun. 

Edited by B_RAD

16 minutes ago, Religious Shooter said:

I don't want to buy every different box of ammo on the planet.

I want to use the prior experience from other shooters who have already shot 100's, 1000's of rounds of factory loaded ammo to make the choice.

If you decide to go with Federal check out buds gun shop. They had some American Eagle for about $11.50 a box. 

Cant remember if it was 147 or not.  

Edited by B_RAD

12 hours ago, Onepocket said:

I would not use a reduced striker spring with any factory ammunition. Use OEM until you start reloading.

Not quite quite sure why a lot of the posters here think I'm such a newbie.

I've been a member of this board since 2004.  I have over 3200 posts.  I've been reloading and shooting for about 20+ years.  Almost never bought factory pistol ammo during that time.

But with Trump in power... currently a box of factory loaded 147 grain ammo is $10.  At that price I don't see reloading 9 MM.

22 hours ago, bigtimelarry said:

I use a Wolff  4.5 lb Striker spring with factory ammo and a stock striker have no problems. I change it every 5,000 rounds.  

That's what I did.

CCI and Winchester primers off my reloading press went bang just fine.

Personally I prefer a gun with a 1/2lb heavier trigger that eats hard primers... to a picky gun with the lightest possible springs.

Just slap a 4.5 or 5 in there and shoot whatever you want. Tune the gun to your preferred source of ammo, not the other way around.