Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Crazy timing...

Bapple

Well, as a relatively new owner of a Stock 2 that I recently just finished polishing and putting in all the PD springs and parts, I had been on the lookout for a polymer Tanfo to possilby carry some.  

Today, I just had the urge to stop by the LGS, and not suprisingly, no polymer Tanfos on hand (they do get in random Witness's and EAA's from time to time).  However, as I worked my way to the used section, what do I see...there is a Stock 2 Xtreme sitting right there.  I wasn't sure this was right.  I immediately got one of the salesmen to me and started asking questions.  

It actually turns out to be a used Xtreme S2 that someone had just brought in the day before to sell to the LGS.  It had the case, mags, all that comes with it usually I suppose.  I couldn't believe that this thing happened to be there when I stopped by.  Upon inspecting it, I don't think it could have more than 200 rds down the pipe if that.  The salesmen said the thought the gentleman who sold it said he had 2 range trips with it, and it was too big/heavy for him.  Well, after thinking about it for a few minutes and getting the price out the door, I had to jump on it.  The polymer Tanfo will have to wait.  

Knowing what these go for brand new, I ended up paying $1225.00 out the door, which I thought was a fair deal.  I probably have somewhere close to that in my regular Stock 2.  Having kepy up with the recent thread on Xtreme vs regular Stock's I knew it might be alittle more $, but I couldn't believe it was there.  I figured it had to be mine.  Now I have a backup gun I guess, ha!

Here is a quick picture and one with my PD Stock 2.  Gonna do some inspecting and messing around with it and I will get back with some conclusions.  Pretty happy thus far, and suprised lol!

S2a%20003_zpssqdkfxl7.jpgS2a%20004_zps6rb4jbze.jpg

After playing around with the Xtreme some, the trigger is decent, but nothing close to my PD optimized S2.  The Xtreme has a very smooth DA pull but quite a bit heavier than my S2.  The SA is very nice also, with some takeup, breaks very crisp, reset is minimal but still more than my S2.  All in all, the trigger isnt bad at all.  The slide to frame fit seems to be very well done on this Xtreme, action is butter smooth.  

Would you guys leave this thing as is, or would you polish it out, perhaps add the bolo?  Would the bolo work with the hammer on the Xtreme?  What about the springs in an Xtreme?  I assume they are lighter/better than a regular S2 but not as good as the PD springs?  Anyone with knowledge care to chime in on that would be appreciated.

A few pictures with the Lyman and some pull numbers...SA and DA on the Xtreme, then SA and DA on my PD S2...

S2b%20001_zpsw5orl5jq.jpgS2b%20002_zpsvlh72l50.jpgS2b%20003_zpseaesmrut.jpgS2b%20004_zpsoqfid5ig.jpg

1 hour ago, ARy said:

Marketing is a hell of a drug. Don't expect the S2X to run any better than your non-x. Actually, your non-x will probably feel smoother since the Xtreme parts are cast like s--t.

Congrats, OP. At least you're excited about it - that's all that matters.

Edit: Also, be prepared for the coating to dissolve from your hand sweat/salt/etc.

You're just a hater. :D

Good buy!

The X will have EG Medium spring set.

Polish the poop out of it and install a set of PD springs. I'd suggest 14 hammer plus the other 3 optimized springs (sear, trig, etc).

Then the titan bolo if you want the best possible feel.

2 hours ago, Bapple said:

After playing around with the Xtreme some, the trigger is decent, but nothing close to my PD optimized S2.  The Xtreme has a very smooth DA pull but quite a bit heavier than my S2.  The SA is very nice also, with some takeup, breaks very crisp, reset is minimal but still more than my S2.  All in all, the trigger isnt bad at all.  The slide to frame fit seems to be very well done on this Xtreme, action is butter smooth.  

Would you guys leave this thing as is, or would you polish it out, perhaps add the bolo?  Would the bolo work with the hammer on the Xtreme?  What about the springs in an Xtreme?  I assume they are lighter/better than a regular S2 but not as good as the PD springs?  Anyone with knowledge care to chime in on that would be appreciated.

A few pictures with the Lyman and some pull numbers...SA and DA on the Xtreme, then SA and DA on my PD S2...

S2b%20001_zpsw5orl5jq.jpgS2b%20002_zpsvlh72l50.jpgS2b%20003_zpseaesmrut.jpgS2b%20004_zpsoqfid5ig.jpg

with those numbers i wouldn't be surprised if somebody has already been in that gun. We've done a few of them and i havent seen one yet in stock form with a sub 9.5lb DA and 4.5lb SA.

As for parts i would set your guns up identical..... The xtreme as mentioned above comes with xtreme springs, and all the xtreme parts installed. Everything still needs polishing, and of course a Titan/BOLO combo woudlnt hurt :)

It is possible that the previous owner did go inside the gun.  I am gonna disassemble today and take a look.  I will try to get some pictures and post them up.

Also, I never got a response on the coating on the xtreme's.  It says from there website it is a ceramic coating?  Anyone familiar with this kind of coating?  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to tearing down the new S2 Xtreme.  Can't really tell if anyone had been inside already, but none of the pins were polished at all, the firing pin block was not polished, nor was the plunger polished at all.  The trigger bar had a decent polish on it however.  

Anyway, I got the plunger head and body polished up, did some more extensive polishing on the trigger bar, and installed a PD reduced trigger spring.  Got all that put back together so far.  Waiting on my Titan and new PD firing pins to arrive to move on.  Got everything else that I want polished all done and ready for when the new parts arrive.

S23%20002_zpsyytbgkuy.jpg

One other thing I wanted to ask Joe at PD or Ary.  This Xtreme firing pin is bent.  The gun cannot have over 200 rds through it.  I know you guys talk with Eric G quite a bit, and was wondering if this is something I could send to you guys and have it sent to him for evaluation? And perhaps get another non bent Xtreme pin (would be a backup as I am gonna use the new PD pin)?  Expensive piece to be bending like that.  Thanks and let me know what route I need to take with this issue.  

S23%20003_zpsykqllumt.jpg

ok, weird. Hopefully ARy talks to JJ and finds out. I just checked both of my Stock2 pins, neither are showing any signs of bending. Really weird it happened. But with the 'tolerances' of these guns, one could imagine it's not finished properly or something.

3 hours ago, Bapple said:

Finally got around to tearing down the new S2 Xtreme.  Can't really tell if anyone had been inside already, but none of the pins were polished at all, the firing pin block was not polished, nor was the plunger polished at all.  The trigger bar had a decent polish on it however.  

Anyway, I got the plunger head and body polished up, did some more extensive polishing on the trigger bar, and installed a PD reduced trigger spring.  Got all that put back together so far.  Waiting on my Titan and new PD firing pins to arrive to move on.  Got everything else that I want polished all done and ready for when the new parts arrive.

S23%20002_zpsyytbgkuy.jpg

One other thing I wanted to ask Joe at PD or Ary.  This Xtreme firing pin is bent.  The gun cannot have over 200 rds through it.  I know you guys talk with Eric G quite a bit, and was wondering if this is something I could send to you guys and have it sent to him for evaluation? And perhaps get another non bent Xtreme pin (would be a backup as I am gonna use the new PD pin)?  Expensive piece to be bending like that.  Thanks and let me know what route I need to take with this issue.  

S23%20003_zpsykqllumt.jpg

Bent a few of those when I was designing our firing pin spring..... it's possible to stick the FP in the breach face and the next "loaded" mag sent home bends the FP as seen in your pic. Not really sure of a way to do it dry Firing unless one uses snap caps or dummy rounds. It's mainly caused by a hammer spring that's wayyyyy stronger than a firing pin spring that doesn't have a "mechincal" stop designed into it. Not sure if that would be warranty or not as I can see indication of it having been stuck a few times.

33 minutes ago, Bapple said:

Looking close up,  I dont see anything near the tip that would indicate a mag jamming into it.

An empty mag wouldn't cause it to bend, it would have to be loaded..... and to clarify it would happen as you sent the slide forward from a slide lock situation. The tip of the FP would be hanging out and would be bent and cause a jam as the round was chambered. 

So do you think these Xtreme springs could have perhaps gotten mixed up somehow and the hammer spring overpowered the firing pin spring causing it to jam?  I would think that since this is Tanfo's Xtreme model, the springs would have been more than squared away, but perhaps not.  This is the exact reason I am going with all PD springs in my Tanfo's. You know exactly what is where.

5 minutes ago, Bapple said:

So do you think these Xtreme springs could have perhaps gotten mixed up somehow and the hammer spring overpowered the firing pin spring causing it to jam?  I would think that since this is Tanfo's Xtreme model, the springs would have been more than squared away, but perhaps not.  This is the exact reason I am going with all PD springs in my Tanfo's. You know exactly what is where.

its hard to say what went on with a second hand gun. Wouldn't surprise me if the previous owner placed all the factory springs back in the gun before turning it in. Based off how it bent and with what I've seen in the past im pretty confident thats what caused your issue though. 

*it would have to have been a clipped EG light FP spring that would have caused that as well..... given they used Xtreme springs.....

Edited by PatriotDefense

I agree, stuck pin. It could have been from jacking a mag in or from trying to pound it free. My guess is bent trying to free it and not loading the next mag....but only the guilty party knows.  The cause is from mismatch return spring / hammer spring, the cure is to use the PD return spring. 

Then I feel better about my trigger gauge reading with the 14 now.

Run a couple hundred rounds through the gun, and go back in and polish everything that shows wear. It's possible that you'll lose another half pound of the DA weight... but tough to say. Every one of these Italian guns is different.