Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maximum No-shoot Penalties- Multiple Strings?

Crusher

Shot CM-03-09 (On the Move) had a competitor edge hit the penalty target with 3 shots (2 first string/1 second string) the RO binged the competitor with 3 penalty target hits.

As per rule 9.4.2: [Each hit visible on the scoring area of a penalty paper target will be penalized the equivalent of twice the point value of a maximum

scoring hit, up to a maximum of 2 hits per penalty target.]

Does this apply to each "string" individually (*up to a maximum of 2 hits per penalty target) in which case a total of 3 penalty target hits apply OR does this apply to the "STAGE" maximum penalties of 2 per penalty target?

The rulebook does not indicate if the "maximum number of 2 hits per penalty target" can be exceded in a multiple string stage.

Logic would say YES in a multiple string stage.

Under the US rule, (US 6.1.1), if this course of fire was not being scored and reset between strings, then the maximum number of penalty hits that could count for score is 2 per penalty target, as per Rule 9.4.2

If the course was being scored and taped between strings, then the aggregate total number of no-shoot or penalty target hits could be more than 2 per target, but only two per string could be counted.

Troy

Thanks, this shooter (was his first opportunity to clasify L-10 at a "special" clasifier match) and the it will mean the diffrence between recieving a -0- or not. Recieving a -0- means no classification.

And this is a perfect example of why the 2 NS hit rule is bogus. If the shooter was scored between strings he gets three, but if we score it all at once he only gets two! What a load.

Lets go back to where you got dinged for bad hits. Or are we going to keep rule parity, If you have a target requiring 4 hits will someone step up and say we should only access two miss penalties so as not to upset the shooter?

Jim Norman

If the shooter was scored between strings he gets three, but if we score it all at once he only gets two!

Sounds pretty straight forward to me. People just need to make sure that they score and tape between strings when the course description says so.

......and in this case the course description requires scoring between strings......

Hmmm...so it does:

Targets and no-shoots are to be scored

and taped between strings.

We just shot that locally. I missed the part about scoring between strings (and I am kind of a stickler about that crap...setting a good example and all that).

And this is a perfect example of why the 2 NS hit rule is bogus. If the shooter was scored between strings he gets three, but if we score it all at once he only gets two! What a load.

I gotta agree with that 100%.

Actually, scoring it two different ways makes the stage illegal, right? (Not the same for everyone.)

I got a reshoot on a classifier when I discovered the description said to score between strings.

That was two club matches in a row where "score between strings" was ignored on the classifier. :( If it's such a hassle, just set up a different classifier.

I've been ignoring 'score between strings' unless there's a NS hit or some other odd proceedural error (extra shot, extra hit, etc). Is there any other reason to slow down the match? 03-09 is a perfect example. There's absolutely no need to score between strings unless there's hits on the NS.

I gotta agree with that 100%. Actually, scoring it two different ways makes the stage illegal, right?  (Not the same for everyone.)

How do you figure that? If the stage is scored the right way for all shooters and it's scored and taped after each string, how is it different from shooter to shooter??

I gotta agree with that 100%. Actually, scoring it two different ways makes the stage illegal, right?  (Not the same for everyone.)

How do you figure that? If the stage is scored the right way for all shooters and it's scored and taped after each string, how is it different from shooter to shooter??

I'm pretty sure that Flex was suggesting a scenario where the first squad to shoot the stage scores and tapes between strings (potentially assessing more than two penalties per noshoot), while one or more of the other squads in the match don's score and patch until after both strings have been shot. (Potentially creating a situation where only two penalties are assessed per noshoot.)

Whenever we run a classifer requiring scoring and patching between strings, we set it up twice and score it once at the end. (Shooter shoots first string on one array; reloads, moves to second box and shoots second array. Scoring follows....)

If the stage is scored the right way for all shooters and it's scored and taped after each string, how is it different from shooter to shooter??

I made the point that it wasn't scored the "right way. " (Which is what you quoted me as saying, right?)