Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Lights

Clay1

My information is based on the article in the most recent American Handgunner. I have not personally seen one do that. I have experienced early battery failure from cheaper CR123 batteries.

I've not seen the article, but is this the same magazine that says IPSC will get you killed on the street?? :)

I've had firsthand experience of a Lithium Ion rechargeable exploding. It was a small battery pack like in a cell-phone, and made by a reputable mfg with a protection circuit.. It blew shrapnel 20 feet away, damaged things and left a nice haz-mat spill.

Non-rechargeable's chemistry won't do that. They can get very hot and leak caustic chemicals around the place, which is no fun either.

The number of companies actually making 123 cells is much smaller than the number of brands selling them. I don't know the details on 123's, but I'd be surprised if there were more than 2 or 3 true manufacturers worldwide.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know (or really care) what the batteries are made of or who makes them.

I know the batteries that came in the S&W light weren't Surefire batteries...and they died quick. I replaced them with Surefire batteries and the light never was as bright as it is now. (And, the original batteries that came in my SF X200 are still going strong).

Mongo like.

Duane, I'm sure that you are going to love the X200. I bought a M3X from Botach for $119 a while back and the 125 weapon light has seen a lot of action around the farm already. My neighbors all know that I am the local gun nut, (from the number of rounds fired) but when I set up a night course out in the field and shot that about 11:pm some of them thought I had totally lost it. I appologized the next day. Now I tried to tell everyone that we are not being invaded it is just me practicing with the new light.

Still haven't made a buying decision yet. I teeter between an m2/3 on the high end and a Z2/3 on the lower end. Anyone have any places to buy these at great prices? Botach doesn't carry the Z, C or M series.

Rick

Duane, I'm sure that you are going to love the X200.  I bought a M3X from Botach for $119 a while back and the 125 weapon light has seen a lot of action around the farm already.  My neighbors all know that I am the local gun nut, (from the number of rounds fired) but when I set up a night course out in the field and shot that about 11:pm some of them thought I had totally lost it.  I appologized the next day.  Now I tried to tell everyone that we are not being invaded it is just me practicing with the new light. 

Still haven't made a buying decision yet.  I teeter between an m2/3 on the high end and a Z2/3 on the lower end.  Anyone have any places to buy these at great prices?  Botach doesn't carry the Z, C or M series. 

Rick

Z2 is $90 from Brownells for Z2 or from Surefire (if you are or know a dealer you can get it for less from Brownells), Brownells doesn't have Z3 any more, don't see it on Surefire site either.

First things first. The information from the American Handgunner article is most likely directly from the new SureFire catalog. The information directly from SureFire is that they include a protection circuit in their batteries and overseas batteries may not. Some of SureFire's high performance bulb assemblies drain power very quickly, i.e. 9P with a P91 bulb assembly will drain in 20 minutes.

Clay the first question I would ask is what do you want the light for? How do you plan to carry it? The answer will be different for belt mount or pocket carry. I would stay clear of the M-2/M-3 lights. I think their main reason for being is parts interchangability with the Weaponlight series in a military setting.

For belt carry the Z2, 6P, 9P or C2-C3 work great. For pocket carry the E2E, E2D, L4 Lumamax or C-2(at the biggest) work great. I carry an L4 on duty as a backup everyday and a E2E off duty all the time. The only time I ever carry my E2D is when flying. The crenelated bezel always ends up poking me.

In response to the concerns about the Nitrolon strength, don't worry about it. The Nitrolon is a very strong material. Even as a contact weapon, you're not going to break it. The lights are too short to get enough leverage to snap them. The only two concerns I have with the G2 are the lack of a lock out tailcap and the lexan lens. SureFire lamps are bright enough to melt the lens on the G2 with any kind of extended runtime. The G-2Z does not have these problems. It has a lock-out and pyrex lens.

Clay1 send me a PM if you want and I'll send you some pricing info on the lights. I'll cut you a deal as a forum member, I just can't put any pricing information on the Internet below retail. Dealer contract and all.

Looked at a ton of lights and read all kinds of reviews. Bought an Inova T3 today with 85 Lumens for $50. This won't be the only light I own - it's kind of like owning one gun you have to have more. Check out the review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t.htm

Nice reviews on just about any light you have ever thought of. A good source of info.

Rick

• 1 month later...

I finally recieved an Inova T3 from Botach today. Ordered almost 4 weeks ago. Last Botach order from me ever!

The light is very nice and the run time charts from Flashlight Reviews says this will run almost 2 1/2 hrs on a single set of 123 batteries. Check out the review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/inova_t.htm

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that one tac light isn't enough and today I won an Ebay auction for a Surefire C2 HA. Heck of a deal for $67-. The C2 has the rubber gasket and is easier to use as a shooting light for those night shoots that won't allow me to use my M3X weapon mounted light.

Thought that I would post my pleasure with the T3 and brag about the great deal on the C2. Might have to own a C3 at some point in the future and buy the P61 lamp for higher output even if it is for a shorter run time.

Rick

I finally recieved an Inova T3 from Botach today.  Ordered almost 4 weeks ago.  Last Botach order from me ever!

Welcome to the "I'll never order from Botach again even if it is the last store on earth" Club. Your yearly membership is $100. :)

David, I have ordered from them a few times before and they always delivered a quality product at a substaintially attractive price. This time the price just wasn't worth the hassle. I called them for weeks with no response, I emailed them with no replies. I finally cancelled the order and amazingly they said that they just got the product in. I took delivery, but I'm done. Ebay and I get along much better. I deleted their web site from my favorites and their name will ever more be anathema in my book.

a·nath·e·ma [ ə náthəmə ] (plural a·nath·e·mas)

noun

1. object of loathing: somebody or something that is greatly disliked or detested and is therefore shunned

Apology in advance for the definition. The word is so appropriate though that any other word just wouldn't make the grade.

I bought a Surefire X200 from lawman (Chuck Anderson), who is a GM Surefire dealer and an incredible Production shooter. Outstanding light. Damn glad I didn't get anything less. The center of illumination is perfectly in line with my sights, so all you have to do is put the diamond on the target and hit the trigger.

I've drug it all the heck over the place in my belt pack with no problems with accidentally activating the switches and running down the batteries (my biggest worry).

Thanks Chuck!!! :)

The Surefire weapons light is very nice. The M3 and the M3X are different animals completely even though they share a similar designation. The X series is shockproof and waterproof and twice as bright as the std M3. I really like it.

Got to use my SureFire at Area 3 this weekend. During the prizes the lightning storm knocked out power to the shed. Whipped out my E2E and kept on going. Also another reason to go with SureFire. They actively sponsor USPSA events including Area 3 and I'm sure Nationals later this month. I don't remember ever seeing anything from Streamlight on the table, of course I'm really biased too.

minnesota1, I merged your thread with this one...which covers the same info.

Kyle F.

Administrator

I would like a hand held tactical light. I really do not wish to break the piggy bank for something I probably will only use in IDPA occasionally and some other small shoots. Anyway, Are there any off brands or knock offs that are any good? I have been on e-bay and there are many, from Asia, that claim to be exact replicas of surefires, etc. I don't really buy that but would love to hear your feedback on any you have seen or tried. Here are a few samples that look O.k. If anyone knows a great place to buy lights please let me know. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks,

Bob

:ph34r:

Edited by Flexmoney

Just bought a Surefire C2 off of Ebay for $67 and thought that I stole it. Lawman, didn't know that you were a Surefire dealer, now I get the "...of course I'm really biased too." comment. That little Brinkman seems like a nice glove box light for the price. I ended up putting the Inova T3 in the wife's van and the C2 in my shooting bag.

I would like a hand held tactical light.  I really do not wish to break the piggy bank for something I probably will only use in IDPA occasionally and some other small shoots.  Anyway, Are there any off brands or knock offs that are any good?  I have been on e-bay and there are many, from Asia, that claim to be exact replicas of surefires, etc.  I don't really buy that but would love to hear your feedback on any you have seen or tried.  Here are a few samples that look O.k.  If anyone knows a great place to buy lights please let me know.  :)

Thanks,

Bob

:ph34r:

I have one of the "surefire" wannabe lights from ebay, (it got sent to me accidentally when I was supposed to get an LED light). It was definitely not worth the money that I would have paid for it.

One of the Surefire Nitrolon G2's would work or Pelican makes a good light.