Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Commander in CCP?

jkrispies

I'm considering shooting a little IDPA next year and looking at the various equipment rules.  I'm curious... The max barrel length for Compact Carry Pistol Division is 4.10".  The barrel for a Commander (or, at least one made by Bar-Sto) is 4.285" for a bushing barrel and 4.2" for a bull.  If I built a Commander and crowned the barrel so that the internal dimensions were at (or under) 4.10", would that qualify the gun for Compact Carry Pistol, or for rule implementation does the barrel measurement have to be drawn off the exterior of the barrel?  Thanks, J

There is a potential change to the height restriction in CCP which others have posted that will disallow commanders. 

Waiting until the 2017 rule book is finalized before making a purchase is sage advice. There are potentially quite a few guns that may go the way of the 5" revolver. 

My Commander won't make the new height limit.  I think the change is a purpose decision to prevent the Commander size guns out of CCP.  I really believe HQ is struggling with what they want this division to be.  If it is for guns folks actually carry in the US and  they are trying to accommodate our 4.2" barrel limitation then I think HQ should let the Commanders in,  They could deal with ESP Division later. ESP and CCP Divisions are mirror images of each other in terms of the tyoe of guns allowed.  Playing with the width and height of the guns seems to me to be a no win situation and just upsets the membership.  I would not buy a specific gun for this Division until the dust finally settles.

Take Care

Bob 

But we don't know when the dust will settle. Those that invested in a BUG gun are probably furious of the 3rd version of this insignificant division. It's a novelty division no one shoots except for special matches yet they're modifying requirements, again. Who knows how many refinements CCP will experience before they leave it alone.  

3 hours ago, chuckstur said:

I can't see a full 1911 grip fitting into the intent of CCP since the grip is the hardest part to conceal. 

I haven't read the newky proposed rules yet, but my intent is to build a bobtail commander.  Frankly, I'm going to build it anyway, but my thought was to look at the CCP rules, and if I could get the gun to qualify for the division while still satisfying myself with what I wanted to build regardless, then why not?  I'm not sure that it's going to pan out as a workable plan, though.  We'll see.  

6 hours ago, jkrispies said:

I haven't read the newky proposed rules yet, but my intent is to build a bobtail commander.  Frankly, I'm going to build it anyway, but my thought was to look at the CCP rules, and if I could get the gun to qualify for the division while still satisfying myself with what I wanted to build regardless, then why not?  I'm not sure that it's going to pan out as a workable plan, though.  We'll see.  

Maybe build a commander slide on an officer frame. 

1 hour ago, racknrider said:

Maybe build a commander slide on an officer frame. 

That's crossed my mind. S&A makes a neat little magwell/mainspring housing for the officer.  However, I'm building a Single Stack right now that I'm probably going to tri-top.  I believe that will lower the slide height slightly.  Without having looked at the rules at all yet, I'm curious what the connander hieght might be with a tri-top, maybe a bomar type sight, and no magwell, all of which I'd consider building into this carry gun, regardless.  It might just squeeze in.  

22 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Look it over today.  They are accepting and allegedly reading comments until Saturday.  If you are a member.

The key words there are:  allegedly reading comments

Wonder why they didn't want to do it like the last time where everyone could see the suggestions?????

That said, it is not all bad,,,,shot the new classifier last night at a indoor range and beat my prior one shot a couple months ago by 20 seconds,,,,,,,,,,,,,,18 less shots required, so very little difference!!!!

1 hour ago, jkrispies said:

That's crossed my mind. S&A makes a neat little magwell/mainspring housing for the officer.  However, I'm building a Single Stack right now that I'm probably going to tri-top.  I believe that will lower the slide height slightly.  Without having looked at the rules at all yet, I'm curious what the connander hieght might be with a tri-top, maybe a bomar type sight, and no magwell, all of which I'd consider building into this carry gun, regardless.  It might just squeeze in.  

Commander slide on an alloy Officers frame sounds great.  I bought an STI VIP for CCW, just so I could use my (USPSA) long-loaded 40s.  Flush magazines will be required if they don't change the Y axis.