Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Glock 40 Mags & #6 Followers

Flexmoney

Anybody else running these yet?

:unsure:

yep - with my Arrendondo base pads and ISMI 140 mm springs.

I did have two jams at Area 6 where the slide didn't go all the way into battery. However, I think that was caused by my left thumb touching and slowing the slide. The jams went away when I put the stock recoil spring back in my G22. I took out an extremely worn 15# ISMI spring.

That's a long way to say that I've had no problems with the mags, IMO.

Have you had any problems?

Whats the difference between the #5's that i have and the #6's?

The contour is a little different. Also, the 5's connect to the mag spring by hooking the spring through a hole in the follower. The 6's don't have the hole and press into the top coil of the spring.

New mags:

- Taper

- The full metal lining extends all the way up to the mouth of the mag in the front.

- On the interior, there is a little nub...a stop that contacts a ledge in the new follower. Preventing the follower from exiting the top of the mag.

#6 Followers:

Completely different.

- The rear "legs" have been replaced by a solid, more square, chunk of plastic. they remind me of the rear of a Para follower.

- The spring snaps into place. No hole to hook through.

- The top of the follower it a quite a bit different.

- The follower is very thin, not too much material to play with for modification (I am going try to hog on it with the dremel anyway).

- There is that ledge/shelf on the side of the follwer that contacts the nub in the top interior of the mag.

The big grip for me is that, with the new follower in the new mags, I lose a round of capacity. If I put the older followers in, I get the capacity back...BUT, they can't get to the top of the mag because of that nub. They won't even come close to locking the slide back on an empty mag. And, I think they are giving me a jam on the last round.

I get 20 in the mag plus more room to push them all down for seating in the gun. That's with the old FML tubes, Arrendondo followers. With Tom Novak's +1 followers it's even easier but not quite enough to squeeze in 21 in the mag.

I think I can get 21+1 with a NFML mag...since it swells.

I know I can get that with one of those Scherer replacement tubes, an Arrendondo pad, and a Novak Handgunner Outlet (NHO) +1 follower. (But, it kills the spring quickly.)

With NHO's +1 (which may not always give a true +1. but it sure makes loading them easier) and a standard FML tube I can run 20+1 all day long. In fact, I was so sure of that combination that I bought a new base pad from Dawson's table at the Nationals...and put it to immediate use in the match.

I too can get 20+1 in all of my mags. One of them will hold 21+1. I use the early Gen. followers. They look a lot like 9mm followers. I use the Arrendondo entensions

I get 20 +1 with Taylor Freelance bases with standared followers. If I use Novak's followers, I can't get 21 but it makes loading 20 much easier.

On a side not, I bought a couple new gen. mags right after the ban. They eject much better. However, there was a transition period when they put #5 followers with these mags and I've run into jamming problems at the last two matches I shot (these also have Taylor Freelance basepads). I need to get a couple #6's and hope that helps.

Ive been using the new mags and #6 followers. Since Ive only shot Production with them, I havent run into a problem yet. When/If I start shooting Limited again, I'll need to look at the combinations for getting 20+1 or 21+1. Anybody know how Sevigny does it?

• 4 weeks later...

Also,

I forgot to add, when I talked with Sevigny at Fl Open, I asked if I could get the newer (nose up) followers anywhere to replace the ones I had and he said he wasn't sure, but that probably wasnt a good idea. I didn't know why, but he explained that that new follower is specific to the newer style streamlined mags. I said they look the same, but he was pretty sure there were slight differences.

He said they look the same, but calipers know the difference.

Also,

I forgot to add, when I talked with Sevigny at Fl Open, I asked if I could get the newer (nose up) followers anywhere to replace the ones I had and he said he wasn't sure, but that probably wasnt a good idea. I didn't know why, but he explained that that new follower is specific to the newer style streamlined mags. I said they look the same, but he was pretty sure there were slight differences.

Beven's gotta come up with new guts for 'em, so, yeah, they're pretty durn different. ;)

I got my Dawson pads Monday and slapped them on and loaded them up. I had been using some LEO mags that I bought cheap after the ban and put the base pads on and 3 of the 4 held 20 all had the #5 follower. I had a newer LEO mag that had the new contour but it also had a #5 follower and after swithching to that one I got 20 in them all. #20 is not all that fun but it does go in. I also found out that after #15 the Glock loading tool is worthless, all it does is push the base down and the nose up instead of the rounds down. I was going to order new mags but I guess I will hold off now.

I managed to reshape the top spring coil on one +5 Arrendondo kit to snap into the new-style follower. 22+1 rounds of 9mm, no problem.

Guess that was beginner's luck. The next one wouldn't get into the follower. I think what we really need is for Grams, Arrendondo and Dawson to make new springs with a slightly shorter [front-to-back] top coil, as soon as possible.

The mags and the followers themselves are really good.

I had a newer LEO mag that had the new contour but it also had a #5 follower and after swithching to that one I got 20 in them all.

I too have some of the apparently new style mags (with metal lining all the way to the top of the lip and the extra ridges inside) that are marked LEO with the old #5 follower. I have been having last round feeding problems with these mags everytime. It was so frustrating, I was ready to toss them until I read this thread. I borrowed a #6 from one of my new mags and put it in the LEO mag and it seems to work just fine. Now I need to get my hands on half a dozen #6s to put in the LEO mags.

I've always been able to get 20 +1 of .40 in the old FML mags using Grams base pads. They've always run flawless. Haven't tried them on any of the new mags, yet.

Keith

Also,

They are most certainly different...and the new follwers are made for the new mags.

• 1 month later...

I managed to reshape the top spring coil on one +5 Arrendondo kit to snap into the new-style follower. 22+1 rounds of 9mm, no problem.

I have 4 of the new glock 17rd 9mm. mags. I use them with 4 Arredondo +5 (.40), +6 (9mm.) kits, and 4 older type 9mm. followers. (with the spring-hole) I get 23 +1 of 9mm. easily in my G-34. I couldn't get the Arrendondo springs to fit the new factory followers, so I ordered 4 of the older 9mm. followers from LW, and it solved my problem.

Larry

I'm running the new mags and followers with arredondo +5's and ISMI springs. Those followers sure are a pain to get seated and every time I took the bases off for a cleaning the followers would pop off again.

I finally said heck with it and crazy glued the followers to the spring (once I got them seated properly). They have stayed put since and I have not had any feed issues.

I figure when I replace the springs, I'll just get new followers too if nessasary.