Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem Compition Master

sahauptman

Kelly:

You are quite right!!! Benellis are real good but not the best. My brother's 1100 has been perfect up untill last weekend when it broke the extracter after ??? rounds. My Benellies bolt( what we would call a carrier) rounded out on the cam surface and would throw intermitent failures. This one drove me nuts for about3 months untill I finally fixed it. If the mag spring isn't just right it likes to feed a slug half way out of the tube and jam. This is only with full power slugs. I could go on but I think you get the picture. How about Benellies that will only shoot really heavy shot , anything light  james them up? I don't know how many of those I've fixed. YES Benelli is real good but not the panacea for 3 gun. I think Kelly is right!!! most bird hunters don't shoot 28 rounds in 40 seconds or so while in stange positions with the amount of weapons manipulation that we do in 3 gun. I don't think any shotgun is really designed for that .....YET.                                       KURT

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to let you guys know , I bought a rem 1100 and set it up pretty close to the competition master and have thus far shelled out 436.00 bucks grand total . We will see how it holds up over the course of the next year and what kind of failures it may have . I dont know what the competition master is going to run but I would guess several hundred more than I have in mine thus far .

I am in the same boat as paraman1.  The only visible difference between my 1100 and the Competition model is the color of the stocks and a different side saddle.  To date my only problems have been caused by a new, and very strong, magazine spring.  After a couple of weeks at full compression that seems to be resolved.  

Total out of pocket expense $500.  

-ld

• 2 weeks later...

Just got pricing on the 1100 "Competition Master" in from one of my distributors today...the first dealer price I've seen, so take it with a grain of salt.

$645.95

Model 1100 "Competition Master", matte black barrel and action, gray synthetic stock, new R-3 recoil pad, 8-round mag tube, extra large bolt handle, 7-round receiver mounted amo carrier (that is all the description listed, sorry).

Just for comparison purposes, the same circular shows the SX2 Practical Mark II (ghost rings) at $829.95.

It would seem that Remington wants their market share back  :)

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

I have personally read the circulars for Williams Shooter's Supply which has a dealer price on the 1100 CM at under $650, which will (roughly) mean a retail of around $700.  SX2 is about $100 more, and the Benelli Practical is about $150 more.  

I'm interested in these tricked-out sub-$400 1100s these guys mention.  Remington's Dealer price STARTS at over $400 before mods.  If you can really land that package for that price, I suggest you go into business.  You'll kick the gun world's #*%&!

Teuton,

I paid $235 for a synthetic stocked, 28" vent-rib 1100 at WalMart on closeout.  That's a screamin' deal, of course, but it's not hard to find a good used 1100 for around that.

I paid Cabela's $140 for a rifle-sighted 21" barrel, but I didn't have to do that.

I paid Brownell's $20 for an Ashley post front sight, $30 for a Choate tube, and $30 for an Easy Loader.  I installed them, and opened up and dehorned the rear sight.  It came with a clean, sub-4 lb. trigger--the best shotgun trigger I've ever had.

That's it.  Runs great, and I shoot it way better and faster than I ever did my Benelli.  It points better for me, shoots softer, and there's that trigger.

I've got $455 in it, but that's with two barrels.  I agree, if you don't want to or can't do your own work, $700 for a ready-to-race 1100 ain't bad, but it's not hard to put one together for a lot less.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
I just order one for $750.00.  The wholesaler had eight last week but is now waiting for more to arrive.  I should have it soon. I hope!!

Let me know how you like the Competition Master, because I'm leaning more toward an SX2 which I can get from Sportsman's Warehouse right now for $819 and get a $50 rebate from Winchester.

And now a comment from the peanut gallery....held a Competition Master yesterday(on the rack price was @$700). I was very impressed, as was my friend who took it shooting. With his results, and the fact that I nearly wrapped my Browning Gold(with a Briley tube) around a tree at the last match I shot due to malfunction city, I may very shortly buy my own.

BTW, I have heard several people who own modified Remingtons say it is the same thing they already have. From my viewpoint, having a gun with an easyloader does not equate to the same thing. The new latch should eliminate many of the problems caused by the easy load and old carrier latch thingie. Also, as I understand it, the pin that holds the latch in and that area has been redesigned to eliminate failures with the older system. Also, the gas ports have been opened and tuned by Remington engineers as opposed to me and a Dremel. Add that to the fact that it is a brand new gun, and I don't think the price is at all out of line in an apples to apples comparison.

Just got a few of the new rem.'s in stock. Will have some on display at the TX. state 3-gun. Have tested one & found it to recoil less than anything else. It has everything you need. Have shot rem. 2 3/4 drm.-1 1/8 handecap loads, low recoil buck & slug's. Shoots everything. Great trigger. My benelli's may have to go.

I am fairly new to 3-gunning. Just picked up a Rem 1100 CM and love it.

Anybody got recommendations on types of slugs for competition? What is a Forester-type slug compared to a sabot-type slug? Are there other categories? What is a good all-around slug for the Rem 1100 for your standard 3-gun match?

Also, any recommendations on shot load/size that is most effective for the Rem 1100 in a match?

Are there any good books on "Practical Shotgun" comparable to Brian's Beyond the Fundamentals?

See you at the range,

Chaps

The best damn rifle on the planet is a 30mm cannon on the front-end of a Warthog (A-10). And the best damn rifleman ain't a Marine, its a Hog Driver!

A little drift...inspired by the Fat Kid.

Regarding the reliability of the Easy Loader. I installed mine, and it works great. On advice from this forum, I replaced the supplied roll pin with a pin I made from drill rod.

I've only got a few hundred rounds fired through it, but several thousand loaded in dry practice. No problems.

Are there other long-term reliability issues with the Easy Loader? If so, does the new CM system address them?

Thanks.

Joe

Kyle would be the one to answer that. I personally have always been in the Remington haters club and when he has talked to me about it my brain shut off(LOL)! Explains why my shooting skills have progressed so well over the years...

I think the biggest problems I've seen from it is the weight it puts on the pin and the extra inertia it has. Most of the guys I know shorten them and they seem to work reasonably well, but like the gas ports it is an inexact science...

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody got a clue when distributors might be getting some Competition Masters here on the West coast?

Might call Remington's 800#. They were very helpful when I was tracking down shipping now info.

My Distributor got a bunch in 3 weeks ago, FWIW.

I was wondering if Remington was going to sell the parts to the Competition Master. I was thinking of upgrading my 1100 to the CM's specs. And I got this response from Remington:

Response (S. Nations) - 04/16/2003 02:24 PM

Dear Sir/Madame:

Welcome to Remington Country! Whenever we produce a new configuration, such as the Competition Master, we don't sell the parts for

a while so that we can do the repairs and track any problems that they may have. We don't look for these parts to be available for

sale for the rest of this year just for tracking purposes. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause.

We thank you for your inquiry. Have a great day!

Customer (Shooter x10) - 04/16/2003 01:21 PM

Hi! I currently have a Remington 1100. I was wondering if you will be selling the parts (stock, barrel, bolt handle, recoil pad,

etc.) of the Remington 1100 Competition Master soon on your website. If so, when? I'd like to swap some parts of my 1100 for parts

of the Competition Master.

Question Reference #030416-000045

I believe the ports were opened up over the std. 1100 and there were still 2 left at Phil Strader's place as of last night when I went by there to practice. They are ready to be mailed out to your FFL anywhere in the US w/ just a phone call, a credit card and a copy of the FFL - Phil's shop is (703) 491-4867; M-Sat 10-9, Sunday 12-7.