Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rem Compition Master

sahauptman

Welcome back & good shooting at Area 6! Short answer to your question: not yet. All the guns at the shop were new guns and thus I did not have a chance to try them out. The Remington does seem to have a cushier recoil pad than my Winchester and it feels less bulky than my SX2 but the proof will be in shooting the two guns side by side. Unfortunately, the only 3 gun I have been to this season has been the indoor 3 gun down in the basement at NRA HQ - don't ask about my results; I bone-headed 3 out of 6 stages that night though my LTD equipment ran 100% (SX2, G17 and an old military surplus A2 upper on an oly pre-ban lower w/ cheapo 40 rounders & milsurp 5.56). As for work, I still give Phil a hand from time to time at his new shop, Shooters Paradise (www.shooters-paradise.com) but since the season has started, I don't spend as much time working there as I would like. There were still 2 Competition Masters left as of Monday May 5, when I was there last. For any SASS folks out there, Shooters has a number of reproduction single actions in stock from Colt, Ruger and Cimaron. Cal.s include .45LC, .357 and a few of the more obscure Cowboy calibers (.44-40 perhaps?). If you call the store, ask for Jim. DVC

D.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called remmington and asked if they would just sell the barrel off the competion master.. No surprise, they said no, they

where using all the parts to make new guns.. Right now I have a stock 1100, here is what I'm thinking about doing,

thoughts?

21 " barrel with rifle sights $160 from Cabelas.

4 shot tube, for an 8 round mag capacity

DMW easyloader

Choate extended bolt handle

Oversize safety button

Speedfeed fiberglass stock/forend

Kick-eez recoil pad..

Does that sound like a good 3-gun setup for an 1100?

Almost exactly what I did. I used Remington synthetic furniture, replaced the front sight with a Williams fiber optic, and replaced the rear sight with an Ashley Express sight. I later added a receiver sidesaddle for loading onesy-twosy, but I prefer the Choate belt stacks for usual loading, three at a time.

• 5 weeks later...

In the UK the minimum barrel length for a shotgun is 24 inches, however in open division IPSC rules allow any length of gun so magazine tubes are usually up to 14 + 1 and in modified division an overall length of 1320 mm also allows a mag tube that can take 14 + 1 65 mm cartridges. So comes the choice of choke and barrel length, I can't usually be bothered to change the choke so usually use modified about (1/2) or sometimes use improved modified (3/4), but find the modified choke is better for buck shot. I usually shoot a 30 inch barrel but have also used 28 inch either way it’s significantly shorter than the mag tube. I don’t bother with a compensator as I can’t see they are that effective and only ensure that smoke is directed in your field of vision.

I prefer an 11-87 with wooden furniture and yes it is heavy on a 28 plate 100 yard dash through the woods but long barrels mean that you don’t need to run and can pick three or four shooting positions to take the plates, I always take the long shot rather than all that running and stuff (I cant run faster than 1400 fps so don't see the point in it).

As for reliability the bits that break are well known so change them every few thousand rounds and it won’t let you down in a match.

When asked for advice before a stage, I usually give the usual answer "shoot fast don't miss", but then clarify this as there is a very important lesson, for a 28 plate field stage, you don't want to waste time loading extra round. so you should only load 28 that extra round just in case has probably wasted between 1 and 2 seconds (this is for just in case Mr Sullivan), it may only be a couple of seconds wasted but if you shoot cleanly you wont need it and you will be more likely to take the stage.

Oh and in the UK no rifled barrels or rifled chokes, so all slug is shot through a smooth bore, I prefer full or 3/4 choke.

In many cases there is a lack of understanding of how the gun works and the gun / ammo capabilities, it is quite common to deliberately take two plates with one shot, is because the gun and ammo are capable of it in rare circumstances the observant shooter may even be able to take three plates (top wood shield 2001).

Remmington only need to make a few bits stronger and there fine.

Got myself a shiny new 1100 Competition Master the other day. I have had two chances to shoot it now. So far, it has worked great. I have tested it with S&B buckshot, Fed Tac Buck, Win 9 Pellet buck, and 3 dram 1 1/8 oz #6's. It is running 100% with all of these, and with the R3 pad it is unbelievably soft. The new latch thingie has been 100% also, no failures to lock back, no premature ones, AND I still have all of my fingernails(try that with an EZ loader!!). :D

Having alway's been a non Remington fan, I am eating crow now...but that is ok, cause I am liking this thing much more than my other auto's. AH6, thanks for the help on the Browning, but it is going to become my new canoe paddle at this point... :P

BTW, going price around here is under 700 dollars before tax. Give the guy's at Shooter's Pawn a call (910) 860-3700, ask for Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes indeed!!! FatKid invited me to tag along on his "Linden Proving Grounds" 1100 Comp Master trials! His clay thrower darn near took my hand off!!! We both shot flying clays fairly well for a fat kid and a bald buy. The high-vis sight is really nice! He and I both favor a bead over ghost ring or rifle sights on a shotgun. Rifle sights are for RIFLES!!! Ghost Rings are for...uhh...Ghosts??? Beads are for shotguns. But thats what works for me and the FatKid! Please dont try to convince us any different! We're just simple country folk!

The built in "EZ loader" is the ticket! Fatkid was feeding his 1100 pretty fast! I on the other hand had trouble due to the bleeding and compound fracture to my hand! I watched as he blasted box after box of various loads into those wiley and vicious steel plates! ABSOLUTELY NO MALFUNCTIONS IN OVER 100 ROUNDS!!!

The recoild pad is OUTSTANDING! Never "enjoyed" shooting buckshot, but the Comp Master made it like shooting a cap gun...uhhh...relatively!

I have a Rem 1100 I picked up cheap, then bought all the cool 3-gun gadgets. My EZ loader does lock the bolt, but it still hangs down at that annoying odd angle! I really dig a vent rib barrel on a "gauge" (that's ghetto talk to a shotgun), and the shortest A VR barrel comes for an 1100 is 26". That's a little too long for my 3gun taste! Plus, new the barrel is about $175-$200. It costs around $50 to get it cut down and rethreaded for chokes. That's a pile of extra cash!

Even with a gun store employee discount and the adventure/nightmare of installing the gadgets...I would have rather saved my pennies and just gotten the 1100 Comp Master.

Anybody need a semi-decked-out 1100??? for a good price???

As best as I can tell thhhey did open up the ports. I do not know how much. The 1100 comes with the 3 gun version. BTW, the Limbsaver recoil pad is sensational. I will be installing them on my other shotguns.

fayettevillebaldguy wrote: " 'Cause everybody is waiting in line for a Rem 1100 Comp Master!!!

Why wait? Phil Strader has THREE (3) of these in stock as of this morning! He can ship one out to your FFL today or tomorrow and you could be shooting a Competitionmaster by this weekend, just call him at (703) 491-4867. His website is up and running at www.shooters-paradise.com I think Benny might have some left as well. Worth every penny!

Actually, FBG was there for my 3rd session with the 1100. I now have a little over 500rds through it, with all kinds of loads, from AA Light Targets to 12 pellet 00 buck, ZERO malfunctions with quality ammo(won't even go into that, but they wouldn't work in an over/under either). To say I am impressed with this thing is an understatement....and that hurts after years of Remington hating :angry: !!

• 6 months later...

Sorry to restart an old topic but a small shipment of CM's has just arrived in the UK. I thought this would never happen as UK laws state the min bbl length has to be 24', but Remington has again shown their worth and supplied them with bespoke factory 24' bbls. (the guns dont have side saddles though ?)

How are these things holding out over time ? and are people still sticking on easyloaders or is the extended bolt release good enough ?

and ultimately isnt it just easier and much cheaper to buy a cocking handle, ext safety, saddle and a can of grey paint for the old 1100 sitting in the safe ? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

I have a 1100 Comp Master too, from September, ................... really i did not had a lot of time to shoot like i will, only 500 rounds(with a lot of different cartridges, without ONE malfunction !).

I have an Easy-Loader ready to install, ............... <_< .......... but i am a little afraid that after the installation, the shotgun will not go (perfect), right now (without the EZLoader) ................... i don't know which way it is better to take,

........... because i was reading some old posts, where others shooters said that they had some troubles, after the installation of this accessories ...........

Another thing to say is, that the EZLoader is very, very fast , ................. but i think that if your Remmy don't shoot when he HAD to, ........... it is a bigger problem ..... and the seconds go, go, go.

Ciao.

• 4 weeks later...

I just re-saw the video for the 1100 CM. At ~3:40 it shows Lamb unloading the shotgun with his left hand and the right hand on the grip.

I can't do this with my 1100. When I cycle the bolt to extract the round it always catches and I have to press the carrier release.

How do I go about modifying my 1100 to do this?