Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gold coating on barrels !!!

cnote

While I love the look of gold barrels it got me looking around to see what other kind of Tin coatings they offer.

Aluminium Titanium Nitride (AlTiN)

• Color: Black
  • Nano-hardness: 34
  • Thickness [um]: 1-4
  • Friction-(fretting): 0.70
  • Maximum usage temperature: 900
  • Applications & Characteristics: Universal for drilling, milling, hobbing, dry machining, coating for cutting with carbide in the 90’s, with higher Al content and heat resistance
    • CUTTING: Milling, hobbing, high performance machining, also dry

I have seen a storm lake barrel coated in this and its black, don't have any experience with it other than reading about it on google.

The type of process for the coating is important if you want the coating to cover the inside of the barrel.  If you are looking at things like TiN or DLC, CVD coatings can be done that will coat the inside of the barrel to get the benefit to the harder, slicker and wear resistant surface that contacts the bullet.  PVD coatings are typically line of site coating methods and will only cover the exterior of the barrel.

2 hours ago, cnote said:

So h&M black nitride would be like TiN or DLC

No.  TiN and DLC are coatings.  Black nitride is a nitrocarburizing process that diffuses nitrogen and carbon into the metal's surface so it is not a coating but alters the surface of the material.  I'm not 100% sure how they end up with the black surface, but that's kind of secondary to what's actually being done.

Edited by theWacoKid