Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Specific 223 load advice

Swanny10

Looking to develop a 223 3gun load. The plan is to shoot a cheap 55 grain fmj for practice and a higher quality 55 for comp.

Will be running a 1/7 18 inch white oak SPR barrel with a mid gas system with a low mass BCG and adjustable gas block and a brake. I have access to a variety of powders and bullets. Range brass. Most likely federal primers. But I do have a couple thousand federal bench rest primers if it makes a difference. 

If the answer is as simple as load them with H335 and go then that's fine. But if anybody has more specific advice for a set up like mine I would love to hear it. 

I would use a slower powder than H335 only because when my gun got dirty it wouldn't cycle as reliably, not enough pressure. (Maybe my gun is just too crappy, lol) H4895 or CFE223 is what I normally use. With an adjustable gas block that may not matter, I don't have one.

I would also use cheap 55 gr FMJs for competition too. I don't like spending .25 cents a bullet on targets I can spit on. I do load 69 gr SMKs for stages with long rifle shots.

Hornady 55 FMJ in bulk are an excellent value, less expensive than "cheap" fmj's. Just keep your eyes open and take advantage of sales. H335 like most ball powders like to be run with a heavier load. I've run 25.5 grains of it with any 55 grain bullet for years. Keeping the bolt carrier lubed keeps the gun running, cleaning maybe twice a year.

To follow up....

my reloading mentor had a gross of no name 55 fmj on the shelf. Started with 26 gr. Of CFE and worked up to 27.7. Was still only occasionally breaking 3000 fps with no pressure signs in the brass. At 60 yards I was grouping about 1.5 inches. So let's call it 2 MOA. Some (or a lot) of that is me. Shooting off a backpack with a 6x scope doesn't lend itself for precision work  (at least not for me). 

Good enough for practice ammo I guess. I backed off to 26 grains and loaded 500 because I don't see any reason to stress the brass or wear the barrel when I am simply working on fundamentals. Still bothers me cause I know this gun will shoot 1 hole at 100 with heavy SMKs and Reloader 15. (Yeah yeah, I know, that's a whole different situation. lol)

I'll try some hornady 55s when these run out.  

Thanks for the help everybody. 

If your gun will shoot 1 hole at 100yds enter a benchrest competition.   1.5 at 60 yds does not tell you much and thats more like 1.5 at 60 yds.  2" @ 100 yds is 2 moa.   If your rifle really shoots that much better with ??weight smk bullets and RL15 then i woukd try your 55s with that same load.   If it really shoots 1.5@60 and no better then i would reserve the 55s for 100 and in.

24 minutes ago, dauntedfuture said:

If your gun will shoot 1 hole at 100yds enter a benchrest competition.   1.5 at 60 yds does not tell you much and thats more like 1.5 at 60 yds.  2" @ 100 yds is 2 moa.   If your rifle really shoots that much better with ??weight smk bullets and RL15 then i woukd try your 55s with that same load.   If it really shoots 1.5@60 and no better then i would reserve the 55s for 100 and in.

Not trying to be overly sensitive but are you implying that the rifle is not capable of shooting one hole at a 100?

Also, you confused me with the statement "1.5 at 60 yards does not tell you much and that's more like 1.5 at 60". 

Most ARs are not capable of benchrest accuracy,  the ones that are, are few and far between.  Years ago there was an article in precision shooting about a guy that took his AR to a benchrest match and actually did well...with one group out of the rifle.    The proof is in the pudding so they say and a group at one range is exactly that, a group at that range.  A rifle that will shoot 1" at 100 yds is not a rifle that will shoot 10" at 1000; in theory yes its possible....in reality not likely....  If your rifle shoots well with 77 SMKs use them for LR and try some nosler 77s for short range, I suspect that the noslers will shoot better then 2 MOA if your rifle will shoot 1/2" or better with 5 shots at 100 yds with the sierras.  Nosler 77s in bulk are not much more then Hornady 55's.

And there are so many variables to accuracy it will make your head spin if you are just starting out. Not only the gun, but the rest, as you mentioned. When checking groups I like to use sandbags and make the rifle totally stable so that all I am really doing is pulling the trigger. I also use a bag for the stock to stabilize it.

Were you shooting with a scope or irons?

On 10/17/2016 at 5:45 PM, Swanny10 said:

Not trying to be overly sensitive but are you implying that the rifle is not capable of shooting one hole at a 100?

Also, you confused me with the statement "1.5 at 60 yards does not tell you much and that's more like 1.5 at 60". 

What he is saying is if you do the math. 1.5" AT 60 YARDS... Isn't even close to you guesstimate that you have a 2 MOA gun/load. It's more like 3 MOA. I personally wouldn't bother moving forward with load development if I could not get a load to group inside 1 inch at 60 yards. I've never have that issue though cause I always make time to access a 50/100/200 yards range.

Provided you rifle is capable, using a 1-6 isn't a problem for shooting gun load groups if you use the appropriate target (2 inch shoot n-c) and either bag or temporarily attach a bipod to your gun.

CFE223 gives it's best accuracy and carbon fouling properties at 27g or greater. Personally, if you wanted to use a low charge that gives good accuracy pick a different powder, for example 24.5g TAC with a 55 Horandy FMJBT would likely be pretty good in your gun based on what you say it can do with 77smks/RL15.

Edited by Boxerglocker

H4198 at 19-20 grains.  It is a fast power so you get good muzzle velocities with low recoil and good economy.  I have loaded 335 at 21 grains, I don't get near the velocity or accuracy with this load-- about 2-3 MOA WITH 335 vs 1-1.5 MOA with 4198.