Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Open Gun, Doctor Or C-more For Optics?

STI

Having a new open gun build in .38 supercomp, I have read the threads re C-Mores and Doctors/JPoints but none address preferance only reliability, what do other shooters prefer & why?

Cheers for the replies

Most Open shooters opt for the C-More, they are light, wide angle of view. The paralax is an issue and the dot sits very high above the bore line. The Docter sits as low as a front sight (if you get Beven Grams to mount it), it's light weight, reliable but you lose sight of the dot momentarily during the cycle of the slide.

The best thing about these two scope is this: If you get a Docter then find you don't like it then you can just remove it and mount a c-more. The slide will be a tad lighter due to the machining for the Docter and what's more you will have a couple of holes to mount a slide racker.

If you use the Docter then a slide racker is not really an option.

It all comes down to personal preference, if you shoot Limited or production as well as Open then the Docter may be a better bet, as it will be easier to switch between the two due to the sight height.

No matter what option you choose it's relatively simple to switch between the two. If it were me I'd get the gun smith to drill some holes in the frame for a C-More and mill the slide for a Docter. Most gunsmiths will remove some metal from the rear of the slide anyway. So the cost should be minimal and then you can then buy a C-More or a Docter and if it doesn't work out for you then buy the other scope and knowing that it will bolt straight on without further 'smithing.

As for me, I use the Docter, for some reason I can't use a C-More. I put the dot on the target and pull the trigger and miss. I have no idea why...

Give me a week or two and I'll tell you how I like my new Docter sight gun.

I really don't care for the C-More's total lack of visual cues, abrupt change in gunhandling mechanics over a Limited gun, and the dim dot that has no real cure. Having said that I'm not sure anything else is a better compromise. I'll let you know.

I really don't care for the C-More's total lack of visual cues, abrupt change in gunhandling mechanics over a Limited gun, and the dim dot that has no real cure.

Dim dot on a C-More??? What size dot are you using?? I've never heard this particular complaint before :) Even in the brightest sunlight, I wasn't running my 6MOA dot at full power (dot flare), and had plenty of dot brightness....

I really don't care for the C-More's total lack of visual cues, abrupt change in gunhandling mechanics over a Limited gun, and the dim dot that has no real cure.

Dim dot on a C-More??? What size dot are you using?? I've never heard this particular complaint before :) Even in the brightest sunlight, I wasn't running my 6MOA dot at full power (dot flare), and had plenty of dot brightness....

Ditto... wtf? :unsure:

?

The only dimness that I can recall hearing about with the C-more...

- batteries going bad

- dirty/crud on the "dot projector" (I don't know the true name of that part)

As for visual cues...

For me, it is all in the presentation. The tip-top of the muzzle/comp and the top of the C-more lense housing work well. I just line them up as I present to the target (muzzle slightly up angle). As I extend, the gun levels and the dot comes right down into view.

A lot of people I know in this part of Florida run their C-More on full blast bright, especially in the summer. I've NEVER turned mine down unless it was cloudy. That's with brand new dot modules, brand new lithium 1/3N batteries.

Just saying what I've seen - YMMV. Other sights have modifications available that make them brighter, never heard of one for the C-More. Like I said, I'm not sure any other brand has a better compromise.

At the Area 6 match last weekend I handled Stu Williams' Open gun with a Grams-modified Docter sight.

The dot was very bright and the sight was milled into the slide. If you decide to go for the Docter, I recommend you contact Beven Grams.

Thanks Cy - did you see my Glock/Caspian/Docter/GramsEng gun at his table?

Beven's dot mod makes it a LOT brighter than my 2 C-Mores and 5 dot modules - I guess that's what I was thinking but not writing out clearly enough.

Thanks Cy - did you see my Glock/Caspian/Docter/GramsEng gun at his table?

Eric - no I didn't. I would have loved to see it.

Sorry I missed you at A6. What squad were you in?

I think the problem of switching between Open and Limited is totally mental.

I personally never worry about visual cues...I just work on my index to the point where the dot is always there when the gun is up.

I'm not a fan of the Docter at all but if that is what your comforatable with...definetely use it.

Agree with Jake on switching between open & limited. I used to do it all the time and when I get my open gun back, will do swap back and forth some more. Never have liked the Docter. INFINITELY Prefer C-More. But always go with what works for you.

I tried the docter for about 2 years. It was reliable, not bright enough and tracks fun as hell compared to what you are used to seeing. Switched back to the C-more last spring and amazingly my scores started to go back up where they were before.

Shot mine some more, experimented, now the gun is REALLY easy to draw and shoot fast.

I backed off my LTD grip about 70%, bent my knees more to soak up the straight-back recoil, and caught myself blinking & had to fix that.

I DO see the sight lift, for such a short time that it seems easy to pinpoint the spot the bullet hit. Then the gun cycles for likely .04 or .05, then I see the dot and the normal shooter's "timing" puts it back on target for the rest of the .15 or .18 split at 10 yards.

Also, it works fine to cant the stronghand just a little, which levels out my shoulders. This is a stance I've tried and had to abandon with several other guns, iron-sight and C-More sight. Worked fine today, helps with the draw too.

Scooting around the house dryfiring [prior to mrs getting home] I noticed that the light sensor changes nicely from dark room to light room. Like it's alive or something.