Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question for the Stock 2 guys...

So there's a 19 page thread in the CZ forum chock full of guys who can't wait to ditch their Shadow... for a Shadow 2. I'm curious exactly what has made it so popular to keep buy a Stock 2 instead of choosing the Stock 3 on the Tanfoglio side of things. I have a pretty good idea what the answers will be, but I'd rather hear your answers without suggesting potential ones.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Cone fit barrel for me.

I don't need a rail on a competition gun. Its not for home defense for me... Its for blasting away at paper and steel targets.

The extended controls... I don't need an ambi safety, but I've shot a lot of 1911s and I always have rested my thumb on the safety lever. So a larger area there is nice.

Oh and it's big and shiny... So it makes it easier to compensate for my tiny dick haha

4 minutes ago, emjei said:

Because a Stock 3 is NOT an upgrade from a Stock 2

That's obviously the short answer that anyone who is shooting a 2 is going to give. What I'm wondering is all of the reasons why you feel that's the case. And if they vary from shooter to shooter.

I have a stock 3 and i like it just fine. The rail like the guy said above isnt that important. I like the sight radius. I had never shot a tangfolio when i bought it used off here

I have both. 

S2 has better balance, much tougher finish, less rotating mass and is faster/easier to push around. 

Stock 3 is Imo an awesome looking gun (that's why I bought it)but s2 wins in my book. 

The s3 is very nose heavy as well. If  the shadow 2 is weighted like the s3, many will be surprised about how they handle. 

Edited by bpipe95

In AUS they are the same length.

Chose my s2 Xtreme over s3 Xtreme because of the barrel. The lock up is fantastic. Accuracy and recoil on paper should also have a slight advantage.

In terms of s3 an s2, I'd much rather have hard chrome than blued for a game gun.

People pretty much have said it all ......the stock 3 felt nose-heavy and the ones getting the Shadow 2 will definitely have the same complaint if they upgraded from a shadow 1

The look and finish of the stock 2 are way better

Stock 2 out of the box have a better trigger due to the different Factory Hammer

Bull barrel is an advantage

Did we mention how great looking the Stock 2 is ???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That is the answer I thought I was going to hear most. Instant holster wear... vs none for years.

Ironically, that's the biggest reason I chose the Stock 3. I wanted a unique firearm - I like cerakoting things so they don't look just like everyone else's. And while I don't feel the least bit guilty bead-blasting the bluing off of an S3 before taking the airbrush to it, stripping perfectly good hardchrome off would be a different matter.

Shot a Stock III for a few matches before switching to a Stock II. The balance and slide weight were the biggest things to me. With all the after market parts the trigger sights grips can all be the same. The lighter slide on the Stock II because of the cone barrel and being .25" shorter makes it a faster (recoiling and maneuvering) and in my opinion a flatter shooting gun. My stock III felt oddly slow and flippy because of all the weight in the slide and dust cover.

There was a time when you could get the Stock III's and not the Stock II's and I have pretty average patience, so I bought what I could get....

I should say I shoot with another guys that shoots and loves his stock III, but he also shoots a 6" Limited gun. Different people like different feeling guns, which is why its always good to actually try live firing the guns you are considering if at all possible.

Also consider, sight radius and velocity. Longer sight radius on the III, but the velocity ended being about the same because the longer III has conventional rifling where as the II has polygonal rifling even though its a little shorter.

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I'm catching mention of a difference in safeties and you just mentioned a difference in hammers.

I wasn't aware of either - although for hammers it's probably largely irrelevant since every  2 or 3 seems to get fitted with a BOLO/Titan combo these days.

I didn't say the safety was different... Just that one of the selling points was to have a nice area to put your thumb for downward/forward pressure to mitigate recoil/flip