Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ, double DQ or no DQ

PatriotMRD

Moderators feel free to move if this is the wrong place.

This is Steel Challenge specific and a real scenario, not hypothetical.

A female competitor goes to use the facilities. Removes her belt at the neighboring safe area but, returns to the stage with her belt off, holster and gun still attached. She places belt on the table. Husband/boyfriend/fiance is loading mags and placing them in the mag pouches, handling said belt.

DQ for her for carrying gun back in this manner? DQ for him for handling the belt with gun attached?

The Steel Challenge rulebook, by itself, is silent on such a scenario. The USPSA rulebook calls for both to be DQed. Her for rule 5.2.1 (removing her belt with a holstered handgun outside the safe area), him for rule 10.5.1 (handling the belt with holstered handgun without direction of an RO). Both were DQed under this interpretation.

Is this the correct call? I think it is. What do you think?

Edited by PatriotMRD

At this time, without a rules revision, I would say that it was not a DQ. If SC has it's own set of rules, then those are the rules that should be followed. You wouldn't apply 3 gun rules to a USPSA pistol match, so....

Others will be along to correct me, I'm sure...

Without rules, sadly, I have to agree with grumpy. But if it's "unsafe" to do this in USPSA, is it any l SS safe in SC? Obviously the answer is no. 

Sounds like SC needs some rules updated since they are officially under our umbrella now

That's probably something that should be fixed -- I agree, no Dq under current SC rules.....

In general, my take is that the safety rules should be as consistent as possible, across USPSA handgun, steel challenge, USPSA 3-gun and USPSA Multigun, allowing for only those deviations that are necessary due to a particular sport's or firearm's unique requirements.

19 hours ago, Sarge said:

Without rules, sadly, I have to agree with grumpy. But if it's "unsafe" to do this in USPSA, is it any l SS safe in SC? Obviously the answer is no. 

Sounds like SC needs some rules updated since they are officially under our umbrella now

Sadly, you have to agree with me? I apologize for making you sad, Sarge....:lol: