Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to the reloading game!

Well guys I took the dive and bought an XL 650....  I got it for a steal, but I still need to buy a couple of components to get loading.  the 650 that I bought came with the press, powder measure, low powder alarm, low primer alarm, feed tube, large primer plate, small primer plate, 4 powder check alarms, 13 aluminum tool plates, 3 primer pick up tubes, and I may have for got a few things.  all this for $400.  down fall is no dies.  Should I go specifically with Dillon dies or go with something else?  I have done a little reading and I have found that there are quite a few guys out there that are running a combination of dies.  One thing that stuck out the most is that many are using the Lee Crimping die, and I have also read that by using this die, it renders the use of having to case check every single round that comes out.  Again I read this in a few spots but I figured that this is the forum to join to know what works and what doesn't.

I'm going to be loading 9mm for now because my son is getting more in to shooting matches and the reman ammo that I currently get is too snappy for him, and I think this is a good solution to help remedy the recoil for him seeing that he is 11 years old, and then when I get the hang of it I will load .223 and 6.5 Grendel. 

Thank you fellas, and looking forward to being a part of the community!

Barnabie Mejia

LEE dies are better than Dillon dies in some ways. I'm one of those guys who runs a mixture of dies. None of which are Dillon. Dillon presses are awesome but their dies are just OK.

I prefer a LEE/EGW Udie, Redding seater, LEE FCD.

You got 13 tool heads but only 3 primer tubes? lol. That's usually the other way around. :)

Welcome to the forums!

Yea my magic combo is the the egw undersize die, rcbs lock out die, redding competition seating die, and the lee factory crimp die.  Not the cheapest way to go but it helps prevent a lot of potential headaches.

2 hours ago, 53_moredoor_belair said:

my son is getting in to shooting and the reman ammo that I currently get is too snappy, seeing that he is 11 years old, 

Barnabie, what gun is he shooting?

Perhaps a heavier gun or a .40 or .45 loaded down to Minor PF

might be easier for him.

Otherwise, your idea of reloading for him (147 gr bullets) is great idea.    :) 

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

You got 13 tool heads but only 3 primer tubes? lol. That's usually the other way around. :)

Welcome to the forums!

That's what I was thinking! And thank you! 

2 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Barnabie, what gun is he shooting?

Perhaps a heavier gun or a .40 or .45 loaded down to Minor PF

might be easier for him.

Otherwise, your idea of reloading for him (147 gr bullets) is great idea.    :) 

He's shooting a glock 17 and my buddy loaded some 147 gr with 3.4 grains of hp38 powder and it was much better for him... 

1 hour ago, BeerBaron said:

I prefer lee dies to the Dillon. The fact they are cheaper is just a bonus. 

Buy the lee 4 die set it includes the fcd. 

Do you have the case feeder? If not I'd buy that too. It's really only half a machine without it. 

No case feeder but that will be on order tomorrow! Where is a good place to get the Lee dies? Does academy carry them? Cause there is one around the corner from me! Haha

9 minutes ago, 53_moredoor_belair said:

That's what I was thinking! And thank you! 

He's shooting a glock 17 and my buddy loaded some 147 gr with 3.4 grains of hp38 powder and it was much better for him... 

No case feeder but that will be on order tomorrow! Where is a good place to get the Lee dies? Does academy carry them? Cause there is one around the corner from me! Haha

Academy does have them. Just sometimes they don't have many in stock . 

My personal setup is Dillon resize, lee bullet seater and lee factory crimp die. 

I use a grx pass through die on all my comp ammo. Grx makes sure it a full length resize. An extra step but it's worth it to me. Not 1 issue with any calibers I reload since going to grx die. 

I run lee sizer .Dillon Bullets seater Lee on some cast Bullets an Lee factory crimp in all my tool heads. I case gage every round. U can't go wrong with Lee period. I've run the u die in 40 an don't care for it in 40. My buddy runs in 9mm an loves it. 

So did it come with any caliber conversions or just the tool heads? And yeah if you just got the powder drop but not the pass through die, you'll need that. (and the caliber conversion comes with the powder drop funnel)

Might be helpful to post up some photos of what you got so that you will find out if you are missing any rods, linkages, or other minor parts. (my apologies if you already did, as photos get blocked on this PC I'm currently on)

I thought I had a picture of the powder measure or powder drop, not sure which is the correct term, but ill get one today.

there was a bag with some items in there and I have no clue what they're for.  in the picture below, the silver pieces (going from left to right) are marked small, medium, and 38/357

IMG_13811_zpssunlghel.jpg

ID on this please...

IMG_13821_zpsu4hwxars.jpg

And a bag of these.

IMG_13831_zps4xkucbwd.jpg

Academy didn't have the Lee die set in stock so I just went ahead and ordered it online, $43 out the door and free shipping.  should be here on Wednesday!  my next question is, with the powder through expanding die, I should be able to mount my powder hopper right on to it, right?

Did your Powder Measure come with just the hopper - like this without a threaded portion in/under the clamp

OldMeasure.jpg

Or is it like this?

1644158_02_dillon_precision_20782_powder

Basically if it is like the top unit, you need a Dillon Powder Die Part #  20064  and a Dillon Powder Funnel Part #  Powderfunnels

Edited by SCTaylor

6 minutes ago, SCTaylor said:

Did your Powder Measure come with just the hopper - like this without a threaded portion in/under the clamp

OldMeasure.jpg

Or is it like this?

1644158_02_dillon_precision_20782_powder

Basically if it is like the top unit, you need a Dillon Powder Die Part #  20064  and a Dillon Powder Funnel Part #  Powderfunnels

mine is like the one on top, but when I look inside the clamp there is a tube in there.  would the Lee 4 die set have the threaded piece that I need?

No, that only works with the Lee powder measures. You'll either need to buy a Lee measure ~$40 + shipping or the Powder Die $11.35 and Funnel 15.95 + shipping.

I prefer the Dillon powder measures and would suggest going that way.

3 hours ago, 53_moredoor_belair said:

alright, gonna get this ordered!  thanks for the help fellas, I will keep everyone updated with the results and set up.  I will also be posting a picture with everything included. 

Barnabie

Another suggestion if you get stuck with a question, call Dillon, they are very helpful (even if you are using Lee dies :rolleyes:) Especially since you might be missing some small part that would prevent you from loading. They can walk through it piece by piece. Very good company to work with and if anything on it breaks, it's still under warranty.

You could use the Lee Auto-Disk or Auto-Drum powder measures on your 650, as long as you use a Lee die set that comes with their Powder Through Expander die. Just mount the Lee powder measure of your choice on top, and Bob's your uncle. I use both the Dillon powder measure (on my 1050) and the Lee Auto-Drum (on my Lee Classic Turret Press), and I like them both for different reasons. Really, either way you go will be just fine.

I never thought I'd see the day that I'd agree with Sarge, but indeed, said day has come (Totally kidding, Sarge.. I've learned a lot from you)... I use RCBS, Dillon, Lee, and Lyman dies. Overall, I agree with Sarge...I like the Lee dies the best. I do like the Dillon Resize/decap dies for the sole reason that the decap pin pops the spent primer off the end of it, so it completely avoids sucking the spent primer back into the primer pocket. Dillon resize/decap dies also have stuck case removal engineered into the die itself. Pretty handy if you ever end up sticking a case.

It's possible to start a thread flame war by talking about the Lee Factory Crimp Die (some swear by it, others swear at it), but I *love* them for for reloading mixed headstamp pistol brass. Just make sure you aren't using oversized bullets and they work great.

Edited by Phlier

the parts you have are calibre conversion bits.

the coloured plastic pieces go in the case feeder mechanism. one is an adapter for the drop tube, the small colour bit goes under that, and then the silver metal collars go under that. I think they are called case feed adapter and body collar.

the little rectangles in the plastic bag are call 'station 1 locators'. they are calibre specific too. they'll have a number on them which corresponds to which calibres they work with.

the screw with the two curved bushings is to mount the case feed pole to the press body.

I actually prefer the new lee auto drum measure over my dillon measures. it's very easy to adjust and very easy to change powders/calibres.

to run the lee powder measure setup these are the bits you need:

http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-autodrum-powder-measure $36

http://www.titanreloading.com/powder-handling-equipment/lee-powder-measure-riser $8 ( i actually run 2 of these one atop the other. I like the powder measure up high to clear all my dies and bullet feeder die. without a bullet feeder one is probably suitable).

to run the dillon measuere you'll need:

https://www.dillonprecision.com/dillon-powder-die_8_4_23603.html $11 (at least one these. ideally you want one for each toolhead so you don't have to re-adjust when you switch calibres, the lee advantage is you get one of these dies in each 4 die or 3 die set.)

https://www.dillonprecision.com/powder-funnels_8_50_25279.html $16 (again you'll need one of these for each calibre.

So the dillon will be cheaper for 1 calibre. after that the lee will be cheaper. for the dillon you're up $27 for each calibre you want to load. for the lee it'll be $44 for as many calibres as you want. and with quick change drums you can set up a drum for each calibre to save you re-adjuting the powder measure every time (which you'll have to do with the dillon unless you buy extra powder bars or whole powder measures).