Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Pro Range Report and Questions

ElMateo487

Hey guys,

I am new around here and new to competitive shooting. I got myself a new Limited Pro and am hoping to use it for IDPA ssp and USPSA production.

I have shot 2 IDPA matches on a 1969 Browning Hi Power, and did well, but I didn't want to wear that gun out. And people kept looking at me funny...

Anyways. So I got the gun, fired 100 through it and decided something must be done about the 12lb DA 5lb SA trigger.

I did the following:

- Henning XL gen 5 pin

- 12lb PD hammer spring

- 8lb wolf recoil spring

- Firing pin spring that came with the wolf recoil spring, dunno the weight?

- Dawson sights

- Henning lightened trigger plugger spring

- Cone fit guide rod

With my cheap mechanical trigger gauge it's reading about 6.5/3.5, don't know how accurate that is.

Here is how it shoots at 15 yards. The gun feels GREAT. Much less snappier and easier to get back on target than my hi power. This is about 3-5 mags or so.

59fe4eb61ddf07cbccc6e3dffc04323a.jpg

I put 400 rounds of 124gr Aguila factory stuff through it. And had one failure to load. It was an odd duck... The bullet would not load into the barrel. It would get stuck 1/2 inch from flush.

178094f650938a254210fa2daf532ec6.jpg

I tried loading it into different magazines, no go. Stuck. Finally I tried it in my 9mm Kahr and it too would not close flush. Finally I tried it in my BHP, and it would close the action fully.

What do you think, do I need a heavier recoil spring? 9 or 10lb? What is everyone running. This was at about the 300 round mark of no cleaning. Or do I just chalk it up to a weird faulty round. Here is what it looks like. It is the one on the left, nothing looks funny about it.

1ed4d2aeb0b652d0f669ca0c1a5a6a35.jpg

Also, I have polished exactly nothing. So maybe I need to polish things up. I would like the DA to be in the 5s and the SA closer to 2.

I am hesitant to polish because there is a lot of info on this forum, and some of it conflicting. So I don't know what is case hardened enough to polish and what isn't.

Anyways I love the gun. Looking forward to doing a few more mods.

Recap of questions

- Should I run an 8lb recoil? Or bump it up to 9 or 10. I will be shooting exclusively factory ammo for a while. What does everyone run?

- What can or can't I polish?

- How do I tell if I have a 1 piece sear? I want to install a T3 disco

Anyways! Thanks for reading.

Edited by ElMateo487

I am bored and have been trolling the forum for the last 2 hours... Others will have even more info than me.

Did you measure the overall length of the cartridge that wouldn't chamber against a cartridge that would? That might have something to do with it... But Aguila ammo is made in Mexico, I haven't had any issues shooting it, but they might have some quality control issues with that lot, some companies want to know so they can rectify the problem. May want to contact them to see.

I would use the patriot defense BOLO disconector instead of the T3. It's more drop in, has no pretravel in single action, and no stack in double action. Get an extreme sear and titan hammer and it will feel excellent (they all kind of go together to make it feel right). Patriot defense has started to support the gun with upgrades more than most other places out there. They are making hammer springs now, the bolo, and a few other goodies are coming out.

I have a good amount of their stuff in my stock 2, it runs awesome. I have a 10lbs recoil spring for factory loads, and an 8lbs spring for lighter stuff. I run a 13lbs wolf hammer spring now, but I am going to get the patriot defense hammer springs soon because they are supposed to be much better, bind less and require a lighter spring to ignite more primers.

I also have a Henning gen5 firing pin and light fp spring. But the stock one has been igniting everything so I haven't shot the Henning as much. When I go a little lighter in the hammer spring, I probably will swap to the Henning. 

You can also lighten up the trigger with the CZ sear spring. I installed one with my single piece extreme sear, works real nice. My trigger pull is light enough, that I really do get a suprise break every time. My duty gun need a rubber mallet to break off a shot compared to how light my stock2 trigger is.

When you remove the slide, the sear is right on top. When you look, the right hand side of the sear will activate separately and has its own spring on a 2 piece. 

I just polished the trigger bar where it rides next to the frame, and the top of the plunger that rides on the bottom of the bar. I really can't ask for a whole lot more out of the trigger on this thing. It's as good or better than my 1911s that have some work done. And that's pretty much the benchmark for me with a good trigger, comparing single action to the 1911. 

Edited by ryridesmotox

Search and read everything on the thread "Tanfoglio Bible".

Call and buy all your parts from Patriot Defense. They are super nice and knowledgeable. They helped me out tons and I'm in process of completely transforming my Stock 2. Once done, I'm posting all my progress and parts on here and another thread.

Motox hit most point nicely. Couple other points.

1) you should have a 1 piece sear. Don't polish it externally - only surface hard. You can polish the hole and pin.

2) polish everything else. Concentrate on rub surfaces, holes, pins  struts and every bit b of the plunger. Especially inside the hole where it goes and the hole in the plunger head. Polish can drop trigger one more pound.

3) one bad round, probably over diameter. Ignore.

4) 8# spring should be good.

5) if ammo fails to pop, get the titan hammer.

6) BOLO - but it really should be used with the titan hammer. Upgrade as a pair. Best trigger around !

Thanks for the good info everyone. I'll polish everything but the sear. Ill keep the 8#, as I think I like how the gun tracks with it. But don't have a lot of experience.

The reason why I wanted to go T3 over the bolo was because I read that for a 1 piece sear all you need to do is ream out the hole a bit. No other fitting is needed. Another concern of the bolo, is that I can't do an aftermarket hammer, as I want to use this gun for IDPA also. Aftermarket hammers are illegal in IDPA, unless there is a better factory hammer.

- So how does the bolo do with the stock hammer?

ElMateo487 - I see you still have the extended thumb safety installed on the left side of the gun, which comes on Lim Pro from factory as part of the ambi safety set. That ambi safety set will not fit in the IDPA box, closed. I put a single sided standard witness safety on mine to run in IDPA. I have read others just leaving the right side off. Not sure if that is really legal though in IDPA.

Just now, fischeac said:

ElMateo487 - I see you still have the extended thumb safety installed on the left side of the gun, which comes on Lim Pro from factory as part of the ambi safety set. That ambi safety set will not fit in the IDPA box, closed. I put a single sided standard witness safety on mine to run in IDPA. I have read others just leaving the right side off. Not sure if that is really legal though in IDPA.

Thanks,

I removed the right side safety, I do like how large the left safety is, using it as a step to stage my thumb on. But yeah, I don't know if it will fly in IDPA since I technically altered the safety.

Where did you get that safety? I want to see what it looks like. The only gripe I have with this safety... is it is near impossible to put the safety on with the right thumb.

The T3 is FAR FAR FAR FAR from a "drop in" !!!  it won't work without a bunch of fitting, tuning and it's literally super easy to F it up with one swipe too far.  Seriously, get the bolo and titan hammer. Fitting the sear to safety us loads simpler.

2 hours ago, ElMateo487 said:

Thanks for the good info everyone. I'll polish everything but the sear. Ill keep the 8#, as I think I like how the gun tracks with it. But don't have a lot of experience.

The reason why I wanted to go T3 over the bolo was because I read that for a 1 piece sear all you need to do is ream out the hole a bit. No other fitting is needed. Another concern of the bolo, is that I can't do an aftermarket hammer, as I want to use this gun for IDPA also. Aftermarket hammers are illegal in IDPA, unless there is a better factory hammer.

- So how does the bolo do with the stock hammer?

28 minutes ago, ElMateo487 said:

Wait what? How is that possible. Is the xtreme Titan not made by Eric Grauffel's outfit?

If they weren't we would not be able use them in production. 

They are a premium factory branded line of parts. 

15 minutes ago, bpipe95 said:

If they weren't we would not be able use them in production. 

They are a premium factory branded line of parts. 

For IDPA:

8.2.1.3.3 Magazine releases, slide stops, safety levers, de-cocking levers, hammers, and triggers, that are stock on one SSP legal firearm may be used on another SSP legal firearm from the same manufacturer provided they are drop in replacements. Parts in this list must come factory installed on standard production firearms. Special parts that are available installed only from a factory custom shop are not eligible in SSP.

Unless I am reading this wrong, this would exclude me from SSP

36 minutes ago, johnbu said:

The T3 is FAR FAR FAR FAR from a "drop in" !!!  it won't work without a bunch of fitting, tuning and it's literally super easy to F it up with one swipe too far.  Seriously, get the bolo and titan hammer. Fitting the sear to safety us loads simpler.

Does anyone have experience with the BOLO and a stock hammer?

36 minutes ago, fischeac said:

I got mine from Ben Stoeger Pro Shop. I agree though, the extended safety makes a great shelf for your thumb. The single sided one, not so much.

Thanks

6 hours ago, johnbu said:

Polish the breech face and extractor.  friction there can slow the slide or stop it.

Running 10# shouldn't be needed to power the slide forward if everything is gliding smoothly. 

Agreed. Also, check the edge created by the breech face and bottom of the slide. If its sharp, break the edge and polish. If its sharp, like mine was, it will catch/drag on the round below the one that is being stripped off the mag and loaded into the chamber.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the BOLO with the stock hammer on my Lim Pro.
Just a bit of a touch up with a dremel got it just right!

Unless there is an "extreme" Tanfo that is IDPA legal (is there a Stock I extreme?) you can't use the Titan.

Taking off the right side of the safety should be legal.
No all Lim Pros have ambi safeties. You are not removing a safety, only an optional lever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 4 weeks later...
Not sure why no one has mentioned the extreme of your bullet crimps.  Maybe the pictures exaggerate it, but, if nothing else, they look to be overworking the brass.

Yeah those were factory Aguila rounds. I think they were catching. Have never had the problem since 1k later after I finished off those.

To me (just looking on the phone screen) the one on the left looks like the brass might be a little longer. Hard to tell.
I've fired about 3500-3700 rounds of the Agulia 124 through my Lim pro this year (my match ammo) without any issues.
That said, I am running a 10# recoil spring (as suggested by Stoeger).
Seems Tanfo is developing a reputation for having comparatively short chambers in some of their 9mm barrels.
Personally, I don't think a 10# recoil spring is going to hold you back in any way.
I have an 8# I haven't used yet, might try it Saturday, but I'll only get in about 300-400 rounds... even if it ran perfect, that wouldn't guarantee anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro